Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2014 3:23:23 PM EDT
I have an old 12 inch skillet from my late grandmother that I used this morning to cook hash browns for the family. I had to make two batches so one went in the old black griswold and the other batch into my wife's favorite stainless steel skillet. It was no contest, even with a generous spraying of pam and half a stick of butter the taters stuck to the stainless skillet like glue. With just a shot of PAM the browns did not stick to the griswold at all, not one bit!  I need to use that pan more often.  Oh and on top of the no stick aspect the taters seemed to taste a lot better as well, could be because they were cooked to a perfect golden brown and not burnt like the ones from the stainless skillet.

When my grandmother died that pan almost got thrown away. Before she died she told me she picked it up at a yard sale back in the 70's for a buck, money well spent granny!  I have another pan from her as well, don't know much about it as the only markings on the bottom say it is 10 inch and no other markings. I know it has to be at least as old as the griswold.

That is it, just had to share/gloat.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#1]

I got my 1st cast iron skillet several months ago.  I love it.  Need to use it more.  I made sausage and scrambled eggs in it for dinner a few nights ago.

You're a lucky man getting your grandmothers skillet.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:42:17 PM EDT
[#2]
yea. it works.

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:58:49 AM EDT
[#3]
My Grandmother recently passed.  This almost got tossed.

Link Posted: 1/1/2015 1:38:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice iron there, it needs help, don't screw it up  Watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Tz3HnnCFs

Link Posted: 1/1/2015 1:42:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Only way to cook on a stove top.  The key is to never, ever, ever, clean it with soap and water.  Just wipe the grease out, get a scraper for the stuck stuff.  Perfect seasoning.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#6]
You need to season your stainless pan.  I have a cast iron I use but I also have a couple stainless that nothing sticks to either.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://i59.tinypic.com/zl2ogk.jpg
View Quote

Niiice.  Is that a 14"?
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Nope, see the 11
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#9]
They rock but eggs are better from nonstick stuff IME.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Black iron skillets have their uses...but aren't the be-all, end-all, of the culinary world.

Link Posted: 1/5/2015 8:17:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Black iron skillets have their uses...but aren't the be-all, end-all, of the culinary world.

View Quote

You're exactly right.  They suck for people who use a microwave to "cook".

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 6:34:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They rock but eggs are better from nonstick stuff IME.
View Quote

WRONG
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:20:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Making bacon and sausage in a cast iron skillet then making scrambled eggs in the grease....  mmmm mmmmmm.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:28:29 AM EDT
[#14]
i fell in love with my cast iron when I finally learned how to season and maintain it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:34:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Funny this thread should pop up. I went out to run a few errands and ended up finding an old Wagner for 10 bucks. It's going to need a bit of cleaning up and re-seasoning, but I think I made out.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:38:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have an old Griswold my mom found for me. I think it's an 8" maybe 10" pan. Rather small. Over the years I've tried getting it to be really non-stick but have failed. I do use it, just not to its full potential that I'd like it to be.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:57:55 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have an old Griswold my mom found for me. I think it's an 8" maybe 10" pan. Rather small. Over the years I've tried getting it to be really non-stick but have failed. I do use it, just not to its full potential that I'd like it to be.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I rehabed a few that came out of an old family hunting shack. Scraped them out really well, coated in olive oil ran them in the oven a few times.  
Started cooking nachos in one of them, and the thing became non-stick in a few days.  Scrape them out with a sharp edge spatula, wipe clean and re-oil with olive oil to keep the rust off.  

Things are money.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:27:14 AM EDT
[#18]
I used to cook from any type of surface.  I got married, and when my first born was diagnosed with surviving a stroke in the womb, we changed our eating lifestyle.  Now, the only thing we will cook off of are cast iron, glass, stainless steel or ceramic.  

It took a while, but now about 80% of our weekly meals are prepared on one of our cast iron pots/pans.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top