Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/5/2008 2:17:52 PM EDT
Anyone who CCW's regularly while they run/ jog? Looking to see how others carry and how it works for them.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 2:18:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont run anymore, but I never hit on a good way. Bellyband, maybe?
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 2:19:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Not a problem with a good belt/holster.

Link Posted: 3/5/2008 2:21:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I dont run anymore, but I never hit on a good way. Bellyband, maybe?

I carry a SW642 in a belly band.  I don't even notice it is there.  I only run about 30 min at a time, but I have not had any issues.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 2:24:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I run daily, 35-45 miles a week.

Carry Sig 229 + mag and essentials in this....

www.survivalsheath.com/holsters/index.htm

...on the left, the "Off Duty Chest Raider."

CPO SWCC US Navy (Retired)

Link Posted: 3/5/2008 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Who the fuck exercises with a belt on?
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 2:26:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

well, I've been doing that but that requires me to wear shorts with belt loops, which generally are not the best for running. I was seeing if there were other options, and apparently there are.

My first thought was to get a fanny pack, but that's kind of a last resort in my mind. Another option would be a camelbak with storage space that I could cram my Sig into, bt those can be pricey.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't wear enough to conceal anything, much less a weapon.  I'm a sitting duck when I'm on a run, but unless they just want to get someone for the fun of it, it's pretty obvious I'm not carrying anything of value.  Knowing this is still a possibility, I generally run with groups or in populated areas.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I carry a S&W 642 CT in one of these: http://www.thunderwear.com/aboutus.asp

It would be great for running.

Sorry, haven't figured out how to hotlink yet.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#9]
could do a P32 in a fag bag
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 2:34:22 PM EDT
[#10]
My solution:

Buy a treadmill and run at home.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 2:35:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I don't wear enough to conceal anything, much less a weapon.  I'm a sitting duck when I'm on a run, but unless they just want to get someone for the fun of it, it's pretty obvious I'm not carrying anything of value.  Knowing this is still a possibility, I generally run with groups or in populated areas.

Watch for aggressive dogs my friend...

People have been severely mauled and killed by dogs, recently, right here in our mighty state...

You stand little chance against even a small pack of dogs...

Been there, done that, its no fun.

That's why I carry an extra magazine, and shoot first, ask questions/look for owner later.

I defend myself with extreme prejudice.

Link Posted: 3/5/2008 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The guy who wants to CCW more than he wants to wear spandex........

Link Posted: 3/5/2008 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#13]
If your packin` who needs to run?
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What the fuck is the problem with running with a belt on?

I routinely run 1.5miles in pants/belt with a G19 in a VMII and a single mag carrier (from MS also).

No problems, although I wish there was a kydex holster design that would conceal as well for me as the VMII.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 2:55:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Buy a stroller, dress your AR in one-sies, and hit the sidewalks like a soccer mom.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#16]

I ran for many years and carried a Smith 642 in a small fanny pack. It was not a "gun" one, just a small leather one.
 With my T shirt or sweatshirt on you couldn't even see it. I never fired at anyone or anything during those years, but came very close to shooting one chow and one junkie. I would not run without a gun.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#17]
You could try this. Bicep Carry
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 4:41:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Everybody gets all dressed up to exercise, kinda cracks me up.

Here in Austin running is like a religion to many. There's the fancy shoes, special running shorts, high speed shirts, belt thingies with drink bottles and carbohydrate gel, sponsor patches from companies that, well, the RUNNER pays...

Me, I wear trail shoes, cargo shorts, old navy t shirt, BELT, gun, mag, knife, phone, wallet, light. Keep it all close to your center and it works out.

Shuttup and run...
You have a gun, take it with you.

... I'll also add that not too long ago I was running Town Lake (a very tame part of Austin), and came up on a guy about 2 seconds from getting the living shit kicked out of him by 3 other very amped up gangers. I had a 380 in a pocket holster at the time. Felt really, really undergunned. I passed them without incident, and as did at least 20 others. I waited a safe distance away and the checked the response time. 23 minutes.

Link Posted: 3/5/2008 4:44:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I get so sweaty running I could never subject one of my guns to that.  Note I live in Fla and in summer it is 95 everyday and 80% humidity.  So I carry a Gerber guardian.  Weights almost nothing and will clip on running shorts and stay put.  It is incredibly sharp and although only 3.5 inch blade will fuck someone or dog up bad in skilled hands.  I feel I can out run almost any one as I have been running for 6 years but obviously can't out run a dog.  I do feel I can out run most situations which is best response.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#20]
While not ideal, a neck knife or less than lethal may be a good option for some. You can run with a collapsable ASP baton or Surefire in your hand and not have to worry about any kind of holster for it while not attracting attention to yourself. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 4:56:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Use this, it's GREAT!  Best part is that it does not at all look like its concealing a gun Wilderness Safepacker
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I usually carry a small pistol in a chest mounted radio pouch made by Coaxsher.

It snugs up good so it doesn't flop around and it's easy to get to.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
If your packin` who needs to run?

I carry, so that I don't have to run.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 5:01:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Gerber guardian clips on shorts and will NOT fall out !   get one
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 7:32:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Use this, it's GREAT!  Best part is that it does not at all look like its concealing a gun Wilderness Safepacker

I have one of these too. Excellent addition to carry options.
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 7:32:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Page 2 OWNAGE!
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 7:42:41 AM EDT
[#27]
tag for good info
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 7:44:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Streichers (Site Sponser button at the top of the page) carries/carried a 5.11 undershirt with a pouch under the arm. It's really form fitting, but I'm not sure how it would be for running (rub). You'd also want to carry stainless and wipe it down, unless you use a really good underarm antiperspirant.

Item # was RR421WL
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 7:51:24 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

run/ jog

I used to only carry an NAA mini revolver with a clip it holster, stopped using it and carried my SIG 228 instead in an IWB. Also used a Bianchi fanny pack didn't like it and reverted to the IWB modded into my shorts for it.

I may start carrying my G26 though due to the rusted decocker and mag release on my Sig, last time I forgot to clean it for over a month, the mag release was rusted shut.

:}

Link Posted: 3/6/2008 7:53:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Thunderwear with Kel-Tec P3AT (formerly a P32).  

How to conceal?  You're better off wearing compression shorts under your regular shorts to prevent chafing.  Put the compression shorts on, the Thunderwear over that, and then a pair of regular shorts.  

I prefer the Champion shorts for gym/running.  They are a bit more bulky than regular running shorts but they have pockets.  This permits you to clip a Spyderco knife on your strong side and a Surefire E2e on the other pocket.  

Mace brand pocket unit can go in strong side pocket, while your keys in the weak side pocket.  MP3 player strapped to weak side arm (so it is less likely to get tangled up in your draw).  Sometimes I will use a Fuel Belt for water but I find that it gets in the way so I have not been using it lately.

I am considering getting the slide on my P32/3AT chromed, because eventually all that sweat is gonna rust the (blued) slide.

Edit:  Carrying while running is a good idea.  We have had a few "snatch and grab" robberies locally in Philly on joggers.  iPods and mp3 players are big targets!

Edit 2:  Tried the fannypack thing for a while.  No go.  Flops around too much.  Also, you want to make sure you have a lightweight gun.  A heavy brick of a gun will also flop or move around.  

Link Posted: 3/6/2008 7:54:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Carry a knife and run in a safe area.  If you are running somewhere where you need to carry you either need to find a new place to run, or you are a high target cause everyone is out to get you and you need a body guard.  Come on men are the lowest of target to get hit while running.  Most people running have very little things of value on them while running.  A knife and the idea that you are running and can keep running should be good enough.

Edit:  For the dog argument; I have been running for years and have actually been attacked by a rather large dover/lab mix and had no problem kicking the shit out of it and getting away.
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 8:08:39 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Carry a knife and run in a safe area.  If you are running somewhere where you need to carry you either need to find a new place to run, or you are a high target cause everyone is out to get you and you need a body guard.  Come on men are the lowest of target to get hit while running.  Most people running have very little things of value on them while running.  A knife and the idea that you are running and can keep running should be good enough.

Obviously spoken from someone who has never been shot at by the local gang bangers looking for an initiation ritual to complete...or the pack of four wild dogs looking for a meal...or the local drunk driver who loves to throw empty beer bottles at the folks on the sidewalk and then screeches to a halt and exits screaming expletives when they dodge his missiles...or the...

Forget it....

I'm delirious at this point.

Go ahead, find a "safe" area, whatever that is...

...carry a knife...

It's your life...

Link Posted: 3/6/2008 8:10:17 AM EDT
[#33]
jog with a little red wagon.

eta- can't find the pic but it was going to be awsome i promise.
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 8:32:49 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Obviously spoken from someone who has never been shot at by the local gang bangers looking for an initiation ritual to complete...or the pack of four wild dogs looking for a meal...or the local drunk driver who loves to throw empty beer bottles at the folks on the sidewalk and then screeches to a halt and exits screaming expletives when they dodge his missiles...or the...

Forget it....

...carry a knife...

It's your life...

I live in houston and run in a large park where there are tons of people and a decent amount of security, well lit and plenty of friendly people around to lend a hand.  I feel very safe there and enjoy running there.  Works for me and I am confident it will continue to work for me.

If you are running somewhere where the above mentioned is going on then you dont need to carry you either need to quit running, find a completely new place, or buy a treadmill.
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 10:32:50 AM EDT
[#35]

If you are running somewhere where the above mentioned is going on then you dont need to carry you either need to quit running, find a completely new place, or buy a treadmill.

I'll do you one better.  If you feel the need to EVER carry a GUN in PUBLIC, you're probably hanging out with gangbanging terrorist drug dealing child molesters and should be locked up.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Forget it....

...carry a knife...

It's your life...

I live in houston and run in a large park where there are tons of people and a decent amount of security, well lit and plenty of friendly people around to lend a hand.  I feel very safe there and enjoy running there.  Works for me and I am confident it will continue to work for me.

Negative.

I like my running just the way it is.

If you feel safe in your cute little park, all the more power to you.

Link Posted: 3/6/2008 10:45:48 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I'll do you one better.  If you feel the need to EVER carry a GUN in PUBLIC, you're probably hanging out with gangbanging terrorist drug dealing child molesters and should be locked up.  

Please move here

You'll find plenty of your kind there....

Link Posted: 3/6/2008 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Eagle Industries makes a fanny pack that is awesome.  I actually bought it specifically for running.  It doesn't bounce or move around even when running hard.  

http://www.eagleindustries.com/prd_detail.asp?ProdID=436&searchfield=fanny+pack
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 10:54:31 AM EDT
[#39]
3.5 miles, 3x/week.  Kel-Tec .32 with spring clip.
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#40]
height=8
Quoted:
Buy a stroller, dress your AR in one-sies, and hit the sidewalks like a soccer mom. href=5.11 undershirt carry

try one of these. i run with it under a tshirt with a glock 27. you can notice a little bit of a bulge, but easily accessable and you dont have to wear a fanny pack, which, since it is not 1993, is a plus
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Backpack.

Walther P99.

Throw some other weight in there as well to get a little more exercise.
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Yes - I run with my Camelback Mule.

I'm not a serious rnner - just the best way to get basic exercise anywhere.

Overall the Camelback lightweight GHB with water built in.

Tried the Fanny-Pack. Too Bouncy.

With the Camelback or any small backpack it's easy to cinch it tight.
I keep OC spray on the chest strap and usually run with a small flashlight in my hand.
I figure between the spray and persuader/kuboton I'll be able to create enough distance to get to the firearm in an attack. Plus I'm already running.
A Glock G26 with a G19 spare mag kept in a DeSantis Nemesis in the pack behind the mesh - pretty quick access - no zippers , a fastex snap that's optional. It stays put well when I jump fences and tumble and do other exercises.

I run and jog with this rig anytime I leave before sun-up.

JC
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 11:37:46 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Edit:  For the dog argument; I have been running for years and have actually been attacked by a rather large dover/lab mix and had no problem kicking the shit out of it and getting away.

I know a guy in CT that used to run with a baseball bat.  Big guy, he was PE teacher and football coach.  He said he was tired of dogs chasing him.  Believe me when you saw this big ass guy running on the golf course at 6 AM everyone stayed away. You did not want to mess with this guy.  I would bet on this guy and his bat against all unarmed comers.   This thread just brought this to mind.  Doesn't really help with original posters question but it is a true story and funny in hindsight.   Big big guy.
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please move here

You'll find plenty of your kind there....

So you wanna bash me becuase I have a safe place to run.  And you are basically calling me a sheeple because I have a safe place to run where I dont feel the need to carry.  Where is the logic in that.

Link Posted: 3/6/2008 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#45]
next question then:

Of those of you who carry, could you hit what you aim at after a 3-4 hour run?

I know I can't.  I've done several tests, and after about 2 hours I could be gangraped by a bunch of 80 year olds and couldn't put up much of a fight.  At that point, I'm pretty much a sitting duck.  I push myself pretty hard sometimes, and at that point I know I'm wide open.  Luckily, I don't live in a bad area, am not a drug dealer, gang banger or closet CIA ninja, so I'm no more likely to get jumped than any random dude on the street (not 100% safe, but not likely to get in trouble either).

As for packs of dogs, I have never seen more than 1 stray at a time anywhere in town I run (and I run all over town, pretty much).  Besides, if I shot a dog for any reason, I'd be crucified by the ARFCOM masses, since dogs are > people to most here.  Growing up in a rural area, I have been in places where packs of strays/feral dogs were present.  I wouldn't run there unarmed, but then again I simply don't own a handgun that I could run distance with.

My judgement (if yours is different, that's cool with me) is that for the duration of my runs, I will take my chances.   I don't necessarily like it, but that's the way it is.
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
next question then:

Haven't tried recently, but I don't run for 3-4 hours.  More like 45mins tops.  

I was a sprinter on my high school track team so anything over 100m is "long distance" for me.  

You'll notice I also carry a knife and OC (see post above).  Lot easier to hit with OC even if you're winded.    
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#47]
my fear would be to accidentally shoot my dick off, after all.. my carrying gun is a Model 94 Nambu
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 12:36:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Try the Eagle Runner's Bag:

It will hold a small pistol and ID....all you need for running.
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 12:49:24 PM EDT
[#49]
I have 3 options for carrying.

1) I have an older water bottle holder that has a  Glock holster sewed to the back of it. If I leave my shirt out I can drape it over the gun and it is not really noticeable.  I have not worn this in quite a while though.

2) I have a new water bottle holder and If I wear it then I put my NAA Mini-revolver in the little pouch.  http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/RRU1007/

3) If I don't wear the water bottle I use a rare earth magnet from an old hard drive to hold the NAA to my shirt.  This is then tucked into my shorts so the revolver falls in the area where my hip meets my torso.  This is actually quite comfortable and in that location it does not move much at all.

I understand the shortcomings fo carrying so small a weapon.  I really only plan on using it for a contact shot to someone's eye/ear if needed.

When I run near my house I am most concerned about rabid animals.  Every year they find a few rabid raccoons in my AO.  I figured if one clamped on to me I could at least pop it and have it tested and maybe spare myself the rabies shots.

Link Posted: 3/6/2008 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
next question then:

I know I can't.  I've done several tests, and after about 2 hours I could be gangraped by a bunch of 80 year olds and couldn't put up much of a fight.  At that point, I'm pretty much a sitting duck.  I push myself pretty hard sometimes, and at that point I know I'm wide open.  Luckily, I don't live in a bad area, am not a drug dealer, gang banger or closet CIA ninja, so I'm no more likely to get jumped than any random dude on the street (not 100% safe, but not likely to get in trouble either).

As for packs of dogs, I have never seen more than 1 stray at a time anywhere in town I run (and I run all over town, pretty much).  Besides, if I shot a dog for any reason, I'd be crucified by the ARFCOM masses, since dogs are > people to most here.  Growing up in a rural area, I have been in places where packs of strays/feral dogs were present.  I wouldn't run there unarmed, but then again I simply don't own a handgun that I could run distance with.

My judgement (if yours is different, that's cool with me) is that for the duration of my runs, I will take my chances.   I don't necessarily like it, but that's the way it is.

I've run Summer Biathlon, and I've run Keneyathlon, and a few sprint-until-the-Polar-heart-monitor-reads-170 drills with a 1911.  Also tried shooting after being hit with a stun gun, and with pepper spray.  Yeah, I can hit what I'm shooting at.  Certainly I could hit a guy standing close enough to swing at my skull with a tire iron.  You could, too -- if only you had a gun.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top