Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/23/2011 9:09:32 AM EDT
Many of my neighbors 65 and up take some sort of club with them while walking.  I've seen men and women walking around with axe handles, golf clubs, sticks, poles, and all other sorts of poking/clubbing implements.  I don't seem to notice it with people under 65.

I walk around a lot myself, and I'm concerned with stray dogs like everyone else.  I wouldn't consider going for a stroll carrying a club, though.  If I wanted to carry a non-lethal way to keep a dog away, I'd probably opt for pepper spray.

I don't know if it's a generational thing or what.  I don't remember people carrying golf clubs or broom handles when I was a kid in the suburbs, but it was a younger neighborhood with fewer stray animals.  Now I live in an older, urban residential neighborhood.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:13:10 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Many of my neighbors 65 and up take some sort of club with them while walking.  I've seen men and women walking around with axe handles, golf clubs, sticks, poles, and all other sorts of poking/clubbing implements.  I don't seem to notice it with people under 65.

I walk around a lot myself, and I'm concerned with stray dogs like everyone else.  I wouldn't consider going for a stroll carrying a club, though.  If I wanted to carry a non-lethal way to keep a dog away, I'd probably opt for pepper spray.

I don't know if it's a generational thing or what.  I don't remember people carrying golf clubs or broom handles when I was a kid in the suburbs, but it was a younger neighborhood with fewer stray animals.  Now I live in an older, urban residential neighborhood.

Get a cane that is designed for combat, Cold Steel makes a really good one.

If questioned about it, you have bad knees.

Could come in handy when you least expect it.

Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:19:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Carry a leash and collar. Damn stray dog will run like he was scaulded, to make sure you don't end his freedom. I mean, how many people have you seen trying to catch their dog when it got loose? Usually takes them a while.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:19:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:20:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I just walk with my dog. Old folks could get one too. Much more effective than a stick.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:20:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Pepper spray is not always effective on determined dogs, and swords are expensive.

A can of wasp spray might work.
Too bad you can't find canes or walking sticks with wasp spray in them.
Maybe someone should get on that.
A tactical wasp spray cane, made out of titanium.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:23:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I live in the city. The first day at my new store i saw a big black guy running past the front door with a crowbar, i thought he was chasing someone. It turns out he is a bus driver who parks his bus and walks out lot each morning at a brisk pace. He takes his crowbar with him in case his 6'8 280lb frame cant handle the trouble

Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:23:53 AM EDT
[#8]
If stray dogs are the issue someone needs to eliminate the threat carry a pistol.  Occasionally I will carry a cane when I walk the dog -  but I've been injured a few times.  As you get older your old injuries tend to add up and its usually better to take a walking stick than to trip on uneaven concrete and fall or have the dog jerk you across the ice and knock you down.  Anyone who carries mace and think that it is successful obviously has not used it on violent suspects.

Never mind the dog or the stick beware of the old guy with the 45.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#9]
This thread needs moar ice axe

Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:25:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I've actually noticed a bit of this myself.  Seems to be a recent, within the past couple years, thing.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:26:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If I wanted to carry a non-lethal way to keep a dog away, I'd probably opt for pepper spray.

Pepper spray has proven ineffective on highly agitated dogs in many instances. Impact weapons are more reliable.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:27:06 AM EDT
[#12]
gotta go with the 6 cell maglite. Not the best flashlight anymore but the best flashlite/club.

Legal everywhere too. Even Newyorkistan.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:31:18 AM EDT
[#13]
hello;

boyds gun stocks also makes some very nice laminated "walking stick".   check their web site.

OR........ just ask x-mrs. woods how effective a (golf club) 9 iron is or can be.  
rp
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Do you live two houses down from me?

As I was departing for work, my neighbors (previously mentioned) were walking down the sidewalk toward my driveway.  They stopped abruptly and returned to their house.  By the time I was departing in my vehicle, I noticed the woman had retrieved her "club" and they continued their walk, business as usual.

Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:34:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Watched the video ad. Do want.

I will add that paid actors are worth their weight in gold. Doing your own commercials stuttering, awkward pauses, and mispronouncing words multiple times does not strike me as tier 1.

So I want, but I won't.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:35:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I wouldn't go axe handle or baseball bat. PC crowd would probably say you were looking for trouble.

Golf club, cane or a hiking style walking stick, lib weenies wouldn't give it a second thought.

(especially if you tell them you bought it at REI while you eat an organic granola bar)

I had some nerve damage and used a cane for a while. Legitimately goes right through security at the airport and right onto the airplane.

Better than screaming for help if your fighting a guy with a box cutter.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd take a golf club over stupid ass pepper spray any day of the week.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:38:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Boomstick?
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#19]
just make sure that mag lite can not make the sound that can not be named.  I have seen some really nice canes - but if you are worried about 2 legged strays I still prefer my ccw.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#20]
I made my own whuppin cane out off 3/4" rigid conduit for the shaft and a 3/4" mall iron LB condulet for the handle.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:44:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I wanted to carry a non-lethal way to keep a dog away, I'd probably opt for pepper spray.

Pepper spray has proven ineffective on highly agitated dogs in many instances. Impact weapons are more reliable.

I kept after my wife to carry the Fox 5.5 with her while walking her dog. There's a mutt that escapes from its electric underground fence and menaces her. She came back recently, assured me she made contact and it did nothing.

I carry a stout red oak walking stick I carved while on a field exercise to repel no shoulders, but the mutt has never approached me. I carry a 442, but I have no intention of blasting away in the neighborhood at any of the current (canine) residents.

You might look into the sjambok. It looks pretty effective and I think Cold Steel has one at a decent price.

ETA: I'm not 65.

Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:44:50 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm not 65 but do have a bad lower back and bad knees and a walking staff helps with that.  I walk with a wax wood staff on the trails and around the neighborhood.   It can be used for a lot of things.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#23]
There's an older black man that walks  in my subdivision in the early a.m., and he carries a ax handle. I always thought of him as our unpaid neigborhood watch comando.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:49:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
gotta go with the 6 cell maglite. Not the best flashlight anymore but the best flashlite/club.

Legal everywhere too. Even Newyorkistan.

I wish Mag would up date their technology. Either that or Cree, Surefire or somebody would make an up to date LED replacement lamp for the large Mag lights. Something with 'set their clothes on fire' lumens.

Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:50:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#26]
My grandfather used to take an old broom, cut the broom off the end of the stick, drive a nail in the end, then grind the head off the end of the nail and sharpen it.  If anyone asked it was for picking up trash.  It's real use was against aggressive dogs.  Don't think any of his litter picking sticks saw action, but there were some big and rowdy dogs in the neighborhood so it made him feel better.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:52:21 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I made my own whuppin cane out off 3/4" rigid conduit for the shaft and a 3/4" mall iron LB condulet for the handle.

Pics, you big-talking Californian!  

Hell, I had that after my knee surgery over 8 years ago.  I don't have it anymore, but it was a hefty fucker that I sure wouldn't have wanted to get hit with.

Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
just make sure that mag lite can not make the sound that can not be named.  I have seen some really nice canes - but if you are worried about 2 legged strays I still prefer my ccw.

What?
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:54:38 AM EDT
[#29]
A natural wood looking hiking staff makes more sense to me. Looks less like a weapon except to a stray dog.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#30]
I carry a gun if I have to fend off dogs. I also have a dog (doberman) that is intimidating to people. I don't get along with my neighbors as they let there dogs run wild....
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:56:34 AM EDT
[#31]

Small flamethrowers......disguised as fanny packs. Now that's the ticket!

Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:03:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:05:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Working evenings, I used to jog at night through an area that wasn't too bad, but you could still run into the occasional aggressive canine.  Also being a horse/rodeo area, I picked up a black riding crop and carried it with me as I ran.  Small, lightweight, and nearly invisible at night, it was the perfect thing to sting the crap out of a dog's nose.  I sent plenty of them running without killing a single one.  

An acquaintance of mine once told me he would rather be armed with a 2x4 instead of my riding crop.  I let him pick up a 2x4 and swing it at me.  Halfway through his swing, I tagged him on the side of his neck.  He dropped the lumber and backed off, crying about how I didn't have to hit him so hard...
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:06:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:06:33 AM EDT
[#35]
A lot of people carry golf clubs here.

I carry a nice folding knife.  I figure that I"m gonna get bit if a dog attacks anyway...at least I can kill it quickly with a knife as opposed to a club.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:07:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
A lot of people carry golf clubs here.

I carry a nice folding knife.  I figure that I"m gonna get bit if a dog attacks anyway...at least I can kill it quickly with a knife as opposed to a club.

LOL.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I live in the city. The first day at my new store i saw a big black guy running past the front door with a crowbar, i thought he was chasing someone. It turns out he is a bus driver who parks his bus and walks out lot each morning at a brisk pace. He takes his crowbar with him in case his 6'8 280lb frame cant handle the trouble

Memphis?
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:10:20 AM EDT
[#39]
My uncle used to carry a wrought iron railing post with a brass knob on the top for strays..  when he lived in Mexico.  

Being in TX, know your local critters.  A 9-iron is good for snakes.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:11:53 AM EDT
[#40]
A Cold Steal "african walking stick" or "irish blackthrone walking stick" would be just the ticket, you could beat the snot out of a dog (or urban yout) with one.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:12:12 AM EDT
[#41]
There's an old man in my neighborhood who carries a golf club on his morning walks. I just thought he was strange; it must be more common than I thought.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Get a cane or walking stick. Carrying something that has no purpose other than being a club falls under Unlawful Carry of a Weapon in Texas. Swords fall under UCW statutes as well.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:21:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Eye Hoe handle

or Cant Hook handle
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#44]
I would be very careful carrying an axe handle or some other improvised club in texas.

Tesas has a prohibited weapons statute that prohibits the carrying of an illegal club which is a telescoping baton or any object that is used as a striking weapon instead of its intended purpose.

This statute has been used to arrest gang bangers driving around with those really short aluminum baseball bats in their cars when they dont play litle league softball or guys walking around with a 2x4 with nails in the end or even a golf club with no golf course in sight.

I havent arrested any walkers who i have seen carrying everything and anything that you can imagine because most of them look like harmless old people but an officer would still have that ability.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get a cane or walking stick. Carrying something that has no purpose other than being a club falls under Unlawful Carry of a Weapon in Texas. Swords fall under UCW statutes as well.

dammit, beat me by like 2 seconds.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:25:24 AM EDT
[#46]
(1)  "Club" means an instrument that is specially designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by striking a person with the instrument, and includes but is not limited to the following:(A)  blackjack;(B)  nightstick;(C)  mace;(D)  tomahawk.

Sec. 46.02.  UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS.  (a)  A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:(1)  on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or(2)  inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.(a-1)  A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:(1)  the handgun is in plain view; or(2)  the person is:(A)  engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;(B)  prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or(C)  a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.(a-2)  For purposes of this section, "premises" includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with living quarters.(b)  Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.(c)  An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:27:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:27:38 AM EDT
[#48]
meh, I'll stick with my gun.  If I was 65, even more so
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#49]
I carry my CC weapon and one of those spring loaded hiking sticks with the pointy carbide steel insert installed and "mud cup" removed. If I would have to poke something (4 or 2 legged) with it and it won't go away then it gets the lead treatment.....Not so much in that order depending on the threat level.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#50]
When I was out hiking this past weekend, I passed a guy on the trail that had a machette strapped to his back. I encountered dozens of other people on the trail, I think I was the only one that noticed it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top