Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2007 6:11:53 PM EDT
I have a question regarding the legality of carrying a henry ar-7 style survival .22 which stores within its own barrel.  Would I be breaking the law by carrying one while camping/hiking etc. if it was collapsed and stored in a backpack?  Law says they can't be in a ready state of use, but with barrel+action stored in a stock, is it capable of ready use?

Addly. could one carry ammo in the above situation without having it locked up or in a seperate container; and instead keep ammo within the stock?
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#1]
since no body seems to know, this is the rifle.

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:02:04 PM EDT
[#2]
It's legal to carry it in Texas, but I have no idea about MO. You might do a search? Or ask on the MO forum?
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess what I'm asking is if the action + barrel is held in the stock, is a firearm still redily avaliable?
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I guess what I'm asking is if the action + barrel is held in the stock, is a firearm still redily avaliable?

Figure it this way.... Any prick of a prosecuting attorney could PROBABLY *make it be*, if you catch my drift.

Legally though, the laws are different in every state. A GOOD defense attorney would most likely show it isn't "readily accessible" or whatever term your state laws define, as it would be disassembled, but unless the laws clearly state you can carry ANY rifle around in such a circumstance, are you willing to take that chance ?

You'd probably never have it become an issue as who'd even know, if you kept it in a pack, etc but again, are you willing to take that chance. There's ALWAYS a first time.

Not wise to skirt grey areas in whatever carry laws your state has, you know ?

I'd find out for sure before even considering it.  packing.org will tell you your states gun laws pretty accurately.  How YOU interpret them may not necessarily be the same way the .gov goons do, of course.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#5]
If your gun isn't "readily available" you might as well carry a golf club.

YMMV
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got one for real backwater survival, but if ment like a trunk gun or something, find another firearm
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 8:33:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

YMMV

It's a survival arm. If he gets lost or injured way out in the boonies he can hunt.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:00:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I quess nobody knows about legal,but if you were backpacking it !

Why not ?   Go for it ,it might just save your ass!

If i had a 1911 pistol apart in pieces say into pieces  in twelve bags is it still a pistol?

I would say yes,but dangerious not untill I put her together!

Unfortionatly the laws of the land are blind,and stupid!

Bob
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:10:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I've always thought about equipping my plane with one, but I'm still researching the laws pertaining to it's carry.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:24:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

YMMV

It's a survival arm. If he gets lost or injured way out in the boonies he can hunt.

bingo.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:27:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have a question regarding the legality of carrying a henry ar-7 style survival .22 which stores within its own barrel.  Would I be breaking the law by carrying one while camping/hiking etc. if it was collapsed and stored in a backpack?  Law says they can't be in a ready state of use, but with barrel+action stored in a stock, is it capable of ready use?

Addly. could one carry ammo in the above situation without having it locked up or in a seperate container; and instead keep ammo within the stock?

easy answer.

check your state laws,, and reg on where you can carry...down here,,if its in my pack im legal.. thats here..not there
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:49:46 AM EDT
[#12]
This is my .22 survival weapon of last resort.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:58:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Well -
- You don't need a survival gun on a hike in Missouri, and a .22 RF isn't big enough for self protection anyplace that you do need a survival gun.

In Missouri, how about carrying that rifle assembled and jammed into bungee cords on your back pack.  Carry it muzzle down and keep the magazine in your pocket or in the gun, ready for quick enough use if you see a squirrel you need to eat.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#14]
but a survival .22 is better than nothing.  that is why.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, in MO we do have CCW.  And, you can carry a loaded concealed firearm in your vehicle.  
Plus, depending on where you're at, open carry may be fine, too.  I'm not sure where you're planning on going, obviously state parks or something would not be to keen to open carry.
But, unless I'm missing something, I don't see the issue here.  Get a CCW and carry whatever you want, where ever* you want.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:43:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
snip
That big ol' nuclear reaction in the sky is in the south.
snip

Uh....around here, the sun is generally in the sky along an east/west location...?  I suppose depending on time of year, it can dip to the south by a few degrees...but MO ain't up in the Great White north...?
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:52:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
This is my .22 survival weapon of last resort.

i17.tinypic.com/3zw0wue.jpg

Osprey can you give some more details?  Little tiny 22s have always facinated me - I want one .  

AOW or pistol? Homemade or commercially purchased?
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
If you become so lost in Missouri that you need a survival rifle, I hardly know what to say.

That big ol' nuclear reaction in the sky is in the south.  If it's dark, sit your self down until daylight so you don't step off a ledge and break a leg; it's too dark to shoot dinner then, too, unless you have a good light and get lucky.  The closest road is no farther than a mile in 90% of the state, probably in 99%.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:58:32 PM EDT
[#19]
This is my survival gun.

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 3:33:11 AM EDT
[#20]
yea, what is your're little survival thing.  Looks like a flashlight....
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:00:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Military Armament Corp (MAC) "Stinger"

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#22]
how does it work?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top