BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2016 11:02:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:03:18 PM EDT
[#1]
quit sending me warnings
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:04:02 PM EDT
[#2]
if you want to actually enjoy the caribbean don't go to to one of those vacation clubs.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:04:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:05:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:05:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm going to Little Cayman next summer, but it's a diving trip.

Have a fab time!
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:05:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
if you want to actually enjoy the caribbean don't go to to one of those vacation clubs.
View Quote

Yep, go to the Mayan Riveria and not those crap islands.  You'll save a shit load and not be bored after 3 hours.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:07:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:08:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Jamaica would be my pick.  Went 10 years ago and it was awesome.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:09:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:10:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The Jamaica one is nice because we would have access to three of their resorts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Jamaica one is nice because we would have access to three of their resorts.

That's how Sandals/Beaches works.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:11:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:12:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

cant go wrong in Negril.  when I walked past the all-inclusive beaches, i would LOL at the sheltered landwhales.  

There's only one place where all-inclusive is awesome; Cabo.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:13:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Got married at Sandals Negril.  Loved it.  No intel on your list.

Regretted leaving the fence.  Felt like I had to walk back-against-back everywhere we went.  Went back in side the fence, and had a great time.  My arm strength is not enough to force a tip in to those guys pockets.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:14:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I went to St, Lucia in february. It was an amazing and relaxing time. Check out sandals st. lucia.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:16:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My wife has no interest in going to Mexico.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, go to the Mayan Riveria and not those crap islands.  You'll save a shit load and not be bored after 3 hours.

My wife has no interest in going to Mexico.

the yucatan is not "mexico" per say.  You're gonna pay a shit ton more to go sit on some tiny ass island with a bunch of basic people doing basic crap.  Might as well go to a shit beach in Florida to do that.  I'm serous.  if you've never been the carribean islands are fun for 5 minutes.  Go to the Mayan Riv or Belize as once you get sick of the beach you can go see some mayan ruins which is cool as fuck.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:44:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:49:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Dominican or PR.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:01:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:03:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Got married at Sandals Negril.  Loved it.  No intel on your list.

Regretted leaving the fence.  Felt like I had to walk back-against-back everywhere we went.  Went back in side the fence, and had a great time.  My arm strength is not enough to force a tip in to those guys pockets.
View Quote

you learn how to signal that you're not buying what theyre selling after a day or two.  Negril is fun as shit.  All the reggae clubs on the beach...  jerk chicken carts... tiki bars, etc

ETA - comparing notes with some people who did all inclusive there, i was pitying them....

We stayed at Treehouse Negril, just a few steps down the beach from Sandals, but Treehouse has a Bar on the water that everyone stops at and Sandals aint got shit.   Just some people coming out to sit on the beach for a few mins with security, then going back in to the buffet or whatever.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:26:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Cabo San Lucas.  I live on the Gulf Coast and want an escape from the humidity.  Baja California is awesome.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:54:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Resorts are lame.  Dont spend all that money on a canned, pre-arranged experience. Go local.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 4:22:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Tagged. I'm going to Sandals Grenada in a couple weeks and I'll let ya know how it goes.

I went to Dreams in Cancun two years ago for 4 nights. I got Montezuma's Revenge before we even left the airport in Mexico to go to the resort I was throwing up and sitting on the toilet for most of the vacation.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 5:14:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
20th anniversary next summer.  We have it narrowed down to three.  This is based on the resort amenities, available excursion, food options and Trip Advisor reviews (and a little bit on budget).

Which of these would you choose and why?

Secrets Papagayo

Secrets Royal Beach

Sandals Royal Caribbean
View Quote

I have experience with the Secrets and Sandals properties just none of these exact ones. Sandals is pricey for what you get and they nickel and dime you. Food quality is good but they far choose to provide the 'buffet' experience over ala cart. Sandals White House (Jamaica) was very pretty but you never got a 'luxury' feel and the amenities just ok. Again for what you pay for.

I've been to three Secrets properties, (In fact I'm headed now as I type to Secrets Akumal,) and very much enjoyed the trips. Food quality is far better although the selections are themed. Italian, Japanese, Mexican, etc. The Secrets chain allows you to 'sample' from other resorts in the area which can be a good option if applicable. Either way you go I'm sure you're going to enjoy it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 7:36:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I went to St, Lucia in february. It was an amazing and relaxing time. Check out sandals st. lucia.
View Quote

We got married at sandals negril.  We wnent to sandals st lucia about 5 years later.  The st lucia property offers the same "resort sharing" as other sandals resorts.  there are 2 others close by that they will shuttle you to.

Yes, it is a "canned" experience.  However, it is a good canned experience with excellent food, facilities, no need to drive/get hit up by locals trying to braid your hair while trying to pick your wallet or sell you ganja.  We are willing to pay to not be hassled by grocery shopping or by pickpockets.  (If this hurts anyones "feelz" with my generalization about the folks who surround resort properties, sorry.)
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 7:49:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Tell me more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell me more.

Neither myself or the frau are vaca club types. We generally prefer to "explore" on our own and expirience the local culture on a more basic level. I suppose there is something to be said for the resort experience for an anniversary.

We just were in St Croix last month and had a ball. We stayed on a small island in the harbor (Hotel on the cay).  The town is fun with a great restaurant and bar scene.  Water is crystal clear, snorkling was great, etc..and rum is $3 a bottle in town.

As for Jamaica.....has it changed? I was there in the late '70s and you had to have armed guards at the restaurants. The hotel was at the end of a long causeway which had 3 full ID check points at various points. Lots of "kill whitey" going on in those days.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 7:49:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Barbados is my favorite.  I never do all-inclusive when I'm traveling in the islands, but I like to hang with the locals as much as possible.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:06:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:15:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

check your email... this will be your last one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
quit sending me warnings

check your email... this will be your last one.

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:15:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:18:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Tell me more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell me more.

The last 2 times we went to the Bahamas we rented a house on Eleuthera Island.  It cost us a little over a hundred a day.  We took our own food (you can bring in anything but fresh fruit and veggies).  The house had a full size fridge and kitchen.  We bought stuff like eggs, milk, and bread. Oh, and beer.  Lots of beer.

We went out to eat once or twice.  It's expensive.  The woman we rented the house from ''rented'' us a vehicle and we used it to visit different beaches.  There's about 300 miles of beaches on the island.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Culebra P.R. Or Viequez.

Sunny beach was rated number 2 next to Bora Bora

It's been empty every time I go. Snow White sands, beautiful reefs, and maybe some deer hunting if ya lucky lol

If I want to do resort bs you can't beat Mexico price wise but got'dang'it I need serenity. Hate how crowded full of 13hrs the Caribbean side gets.

Also remember this is the best time go. Right now is when the strongest hurricanes tend to pop up in the Caribbean so most places get empty.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#32]
I have been to a few places in the Caribbean, the Bahamas was ok, but i really hated the D.R.  

Out of the beach vacations I've been on, Maui was by far my favorite and one of the only places i plan on visiting more often.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:36:31 AM EDT
[#33]
We stayed at Secrets Royal Beach three years ago. It was very nice and the food was very good. Everyday some teenager would come to the beach and handroll fresh cigars. Punta Cana doesn't have the cultural exerience that Jamaica does though. Then again DR isn't as dangerous either.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Been all over the Caribbean and Mexico. My favorite place BY far is sugar bay st Thomas
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:09:09 AM EDT
[#36]
A resort? Might as well just go to Orlando or Miami. Find a smaller bed and breakfast, you'll have a far better time.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:19:37 AM EDT
[#37]
We go to a Secrets twice a year
Just got back from Wild Orchid
Headed to Cap Cana in March
We like Secrets over Sandals because there aren't any sellers on the beach

Have you looked at a Zoetry?
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:31:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Barbados is my favorite.  I never do all-inclusive when I'm traveling in the islands, but I like to hang with the locals as much as possible.
View Quote

Also this.  Barbados is a favorite.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:39:35 AM EDT
[#40]
OP, what do you like to do?

Are you into staying on a resort and never going exploring?

Do you care about culture?

Do you dive, snorkel, tan the berries?

Picking a resort or place to visit should be around what your expectations and desires are. I have found the all inclusive places do very little to show the food of the area and expose you to the actual people that live there.

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:48:21 AM EDT
[#41]
S-A-I-N-T    L-U-C-I-A
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 1:42:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:51:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:48:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top