Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2003 9:02:29 AM EDT
Hey Guys,
My family is looking to send a care package to my brother-in-law in Bagdhad.
Do you have some advice on what to send or not send.
Also, We would like to send as much stuff as we can for others he is serving with.Does anyone know how big a package can be sent?Thanks for the Help!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:07:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Do NOT buy a large, tubular package of Quaker oatmeal, open it, and put a bottle of good scotch in it and carefully use the remaining oatmeal to protect the bottle during shipping.

That would be AGAINST THE LAW!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:15:25 AM EDT
[#2]
[LOLabove]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:18:53 AM EDT
[#3]
My buddy was back for two weeks and I asked him the same thing.
DVD's of anything, VHS of the same.
cd's, hand held games, crossword puzzle books, old magazines that you no longer want...might be new to them.

Food? a while back, Greg's big request was spaghetti-o's. We put together a package that included canned bacon (sweet irony in a muslim world!) hundreds of Ramen noodles, boxes of instant oatmeal (variety of flavors) enough powdered Gatorade to make 72 gallons. (Work provided that. We make Gatorade for the shop guys when the summer temps are above 80) powdered spices, and various cans of soup and stew.
We also included Jiffy muffin mix (in the blue box) so they could make an improvised corn bread to go with the stew.

Hope this helped.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#4]
http://www.trafficenforcement.org/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl?board=Askacop&action=display&num=1067911679
Check out that thread and follow the links within that thread. I also have a Word document list I will send you if your email is in your profile.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:55:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Baby wipes ( the good ones )
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:02:33 AM EDT
[#6]
My monthly dose of public assistance...
[url]http://www.trafficenforcement.org/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl?board=Askacop&action=display&num=1067911679[/url]

I've explained to the parents of a Marine (know the parents through church) that the box should contain:
batteries
beef jerky
books
cigars

For anything else that he wants, he'll have some serious trading powers. Spoken from experience.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My monthly dose of public assistance...
[url]http://www.trafficenforcement.org/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl?board=Askacop&action=display&num=1067911679[/url]

I've explained to the parents of a Marine (know the parents through church) that the box should contain:
batteries
beef jerky
books
cigars

For anything else that he wants, he'll have some serious trading powers. Spoken from experience.
View Quote

The 229th Engineering group from Wisconsin got a "care package" from Ray-o-vac battery company  (hq is in Madison WI).

They got 6 pallets of batteries...all sizes.
They had so many batteries, they were giving them away by the case.
I always bought Ray-o-vac batterie (friend of mine works there)...but this just re-affirmed my position on purchasing their product.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:05:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Every suggestion above is excellent, and these packages mean more than you'll ever know:  they are the lifeblood of morale.  Here's what I've been including in packages recently shipped to my good buddies serving in one of our large infantry divisions:

Hormel bite-size pepperonis
Hormel spicy pepperoni slices
Crackers of some type
foil packs of Star-Kist tuna
Small condiment packs of all types
Quaker oatmeal[naughty]
Gatorade/Crystal Light
cigarettes: Newport, Marlboro Red/Light

Pack it well (bubble wrap, Zip-Lock bags, Styrofoam peanuts), as the boxes take certain abuse. 9"x17"x11" (MRE box) or 12"x12"x12" fit well in the large mail sacks.

(Edited to add box sizes)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top