Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2005 5:38:39 AM EDT

For the Last 6 months I have had two Cardinals “Attacking” my bay window on my house. They just spend all day, everyday in turn ramming in to it with their beaks or talons. I tried scaring them off by placing a stuffed animal in the window to act as a scarecrow, and it worked for a month, but they came back and ignore anything I put up there..  
Ive tried Closing the curtains,  it has no effect and I have even trimmed back any bushes, but they still set 8 feet away and make their runs.  I have even tried the lame idea of putting out rice for them..    Didn’t work…

If I was out in the country, it would be a simple matter of “racking the slide” to get rid of them, but in the neighborhood I live in it’s a no-go.  

Any ideas here?  They keep waking me up every morning at the crack of dawn and go all day long…

Thanks,

SQ
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:39:31 AM EDT
[#1]
a hawk silhouette
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:40:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
a hawk silhouette

Thats an Idea!  Ill give that a try.  I just wonder if they will ignor that too?  
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:07:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Birdshot is called just that for a reason.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:17:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Try a windo screen. The sun screen style is even better. Anything to cut the reflection.

We had a crow at our business that would show up every day for months to hollar at himself in the front door. Was funny at first, got to be a PITA after while.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:18:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh, that cardinal. I thought a high-ranking church official was putting the moves on you.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:20:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Get a cat in your backyard or put a couple of fake blue jays in the yard near the window.  Cardinals hate blue jays and vice versa.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:22:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Oh, that cardinal. I thought a high-ranking church official was putting the moves on you.

ROMFFLMAO    
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:25:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Turn on a light inside the window.

It's darker in your house than it is outside, effectively turning the window into a mirror. The light will stop that.
The cardinals see their reflection and get all territorial.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:25:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Birds fly into windows for several reasons. If a bird is flying slowly it is probably reacting to its reflection in the glass and wants to chase the "invader" out of its territory. If it is flying fast, injuring or killing itself, it is not able to see the glass and is attempting to fly through the window.

To stop this behavior you must eliminate the reflection. Mix up a solution of soapy or salty water and spray this on your window using a plant mister. Allow the water to dry, leaving a film on the window. Repeat after it rains, and continue as needed or until breeding season is over. You may also try placing the silhouette of a bird in the window.

Still another possibility is to close the blinds or curtains during the day, or cover the outside of the glass with a screen, cloth, or paper for approximately one week.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:45:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Cat, perhaps?

Mine takes care of birds, rabbits, squirrels, and has attacked other cats that come into the yard...

That's the vicious predator

This ones still in training...

ETA: Pics aren't working... Oh, well...
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:03:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Get a cat in your backyard or put a couple of fake blue jays in the yard near the window.  Cardinals hate blue jays and vice versa.  

Where does a man get a fake Bluejay?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:04:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Get a fake cardinal and spray it blue...geez I thought everyone knew that!

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:08:26 AM EDT
[#13]
RWS model 48. You should have no problem using it in the city.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:23:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I had one that would perch on my lincolns passenger side mirror when it was parked on the street.  The car had dark tint and the bird would spend hours attacking it's reflection.  I wouldn't have minded it so much, except it shit all over the mirror and door.  It got so bad that ot looked like someone spilled a pint of paint down the side of the car.  
I was really getting pissed off and even though I like cardinals, I was contemplating it's death.....but there was no way i could get a good angle to shoot it with the air rifle without the neighbors seeing...and it would have been a criminal offense, so I'd throw tennis balls at it instead.
I ended up getting rid of the car, so I don't know if that bird ever came back the next year or not......
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:08:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Get a cheap electric fence setup and make the wire into a web that covers the window.  That will teach'em.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
RWS model 48. You should have no problem using it in the city.

Either shoot 'em with a pellet gun or get some fake Bluejays.

HH
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get a cheap electric fence setup and make the wire into a web that covers the window.  That will teach'em.

Ever notice how birds on a powerline do not get shocked?  

Gotta be grounded for an electric fence to work.  LOL

TRG

Well, mix in some ground wires and put it on a good circuit breaker.

Aren't  you supposed to be in a tent with ilikelegs sucking on his toes or something?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top