Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 3/25/2002 8:57:33 AM EDT
Ok, this actually doesn't affect me directly, but the thought popped into my head and I'm just curious. I know that "armor piercing" ammo was all on the buttinski gun grabbers collective tongues clucking away years ago ("cop killer" bullets), and from a layman's view, it seems all steel core bullets are now [i]verboten[/i] in pistols. So, now we have those swell under 50 oz. carbon fiber AR pistols available out there...and one can find steel core .223 as well. Would it be completely illegal to use this steel core ammo in said CFAR pistols? To be honest, this seems like another ludicrous law to me, but I am just wondering if this would actually be considered an illegal act. Thoughts, opinions, and links to the answer? Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 7:12:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/25/2002 7:13:06 PM EDT by SBR7_11]
ATF has ruled that M855/SS-109 is [b]not armor piercing[/b]. Refer to the [url]www.atf.treas.gov[/url] web site and read through the GCA-1968 and find the AP definition/exemption section. It is in the 5300.4 book.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 6:19:11 AM EDT
Ok, thanks! Interesting. It really gets me that these things pop in my head (it's annoying because it drowns out the voices telling me to go buy more rifles [:D] ) and we have to actually find stuff like this out...damn. Thanks again for the speedy reply!
Top Top