Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/16/2015 11:34:09 PM EDT
Those of you that have done a few carbine classes.
What have you found to be truly, no BS, minimalist gear?

Warbelts with 20lbs of gear. Medical kits, silencer holders, dump pouches, chest rigs that you can't  navigate around. Drop leg holsters?

What really works?
Simple belt? Few mag holders?

Here is what im trying to do. Bridge the gap between, say, 3-gun,and a practical situation.
Gear used strictly for punching  paper, in a controlled  environment, and bare bones, but still adequate gear one should be familiar with in a real world (such as it would be) situation.  

Getting away from game gear, such as ELS, super fast holsters, quad loaders for.shotgun,but not getting into the unnecessary, bulky Warbelts, and massive  chest rigs, with multi tools, and spare tire kits.

What say you?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:35:19 PM EDT
[#1]
nothing
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:37:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Rifle, sling, pistol and holster. Couple belt mounted mag holders for the pistol and rifle.  Good to go.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:38:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Sling red rot and ammo
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:38:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Ammo, lots of ammo
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:38:30 PM EDT
[#5]
many mags,  stripper clips, loadng tool, mouse ears, sun screen, hat, safetee glasses, cleaning kit
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:38:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Bare minimum?  One reload on your belt, sling, and a TQ in your pocket.

ETA: If your class involves pistol shooting (a lot don't) then a belt holster (NOT a dropleg) and one reload for it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:39:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the Haley Strategic D3 chest rig
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:39:03 PM EDT
[#8]
The only accessory I have is a surefire. Plate carrier isn't necessary and to me they are uncomfortable to shoot with  anyways. Most classes want a minimum of 3 mags for each gun. Some may want more. I find a battle belt works just fine. But make sure your wearing all multicam. Multicam is a must.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:40:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:40:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Anything you would have on you at 3am when you hear something and grab your gun.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:40:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Simple belt with 2 rifle and 2 pistol mags and IFAK. Eye and ear pro.

ETA I carry the above with an additional dump pouch. Keeps me from bending over 500 times a day. + elbow and knee pads.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:41:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Two belt magazine carriers, a magazine loader so during down time you can listen while loading, extra parts, hydration system, secondary weapon (pistol) and magazines, a light system if you have a night shoot.

Most importantly, an open mind and a willingness to learn.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:41:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Rifle, sling, pistol and holster. Couple belt mounted mag holders for the pistol and rifle.  Good to go.
View Quote
This.

When I did carbine classes I would have a bunch of preloaded mags in a container behind the line.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:42:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Elbow and kneepads
View Quote

At most, one kneepad.  I have never used elbow pads.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:43:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Elbow and kneepads

I don't know where you train but rocks broiling in the Texas sun makes elbow pads really nice.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:43:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I wear my daily ccw gear. G19, comp tac IWB, single spare pistol mag on belt. I carry spare mags in back pockets or assault pack which is left just behind firing line. If an AR is part of the curriculum, I put a spare mag in my back pocket. Rifle sling is rubber banded to stock so it's out of the way.

My philosophy is train like you fight. Hence my daily ccw. If I need a rifle in the real world, I will likely only have what's in the magazine, maybe I'll have the opportunity to put a spare in my pocket. You can reaload pretty quickly from the hip pocket of blue jeans
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:43:50 PM EDT
[#17]
http://www.blackhawk.com/products/bags-packs-tactical-nylon/load-bearing/chest-rigs/rifle-pistol-bandoleer.aspx

I use this, combined with a roll-up dump pouch on my belt.

Simple, effect, and keeps the focus on learning, not gear.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:46:21 PM EDT
[#18]
An ifak is nice and all but if you don't want the extra weight don't wear it. Most professional instructors have you covered.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:48:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

This (besides eye and ear pro).
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:53:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Pistol, two reloads for pistol on belt.
AR with sling two reloads for AR on belt.
Knee pads, eyes, ears and a ball cap.
One of the small Roly Poly dump pouches.

Several loaded mags for both rifle and pistol stored behind the firing line in a ammo can along with lose rounds to top off mags.
Water.

That is it.

<----Not tier 1
<----Closer to tier 5.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:56:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone who tells you that you only need two rifle mags and two pistol mags is not doing you any favors. You will spend more time loading than anything else. While you may only need a couple on you, you would get more out of the training if you have more ready to use.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:00:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Besides the required PPE, I just used a simple chest rig to mimic what I have at home

It hangs next to my rifle.....if I hear a bump, at least I can throw it over my shoulder at night

War belt and belt mag pouches don't work for me while sleeping, as I don't sleep in tactical pants and wilderness belt

Also, if I need to head out of house....chest rig is ready to go, easily concealed under jacket

I bought a PIG.   Done....i am very pleased

Most of my class asked about what foregrip they needed or why their gun show magazines broke
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:01:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Anyone who tells you that you only need two rifle mags and two pistol mags is not doing you any favors. You will spend more time loading than anything else. While you may only need a couple on you, you would get more out of the training if you have more ready to use.
View Quote

I assumed he meant on his belt. I carry 20 mags to classes and load them the night before and at lunch. No reason to be trying to load mags during class.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:02:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I don't know where you train but rocks broiling in the Texas sun makes elbow pads really nice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Elbow and kneepads

I'd reckon helmand province in July gets hotter.  

Quoted:

Yep.  While you only need one reload on you, bring a bunch of mags.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Less is best.

After my classes I stripped all the crap off.

Solid belt, good holster. 2-3 mags. That's it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:02:49 AM EDT
[#26]
for me, it was a simple chest rig. In my case an old school LBE and tacos, a dump pouch is nice too.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:04:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This.

When I did carbine classes I would have a bunch of preloaded mags in a container behind the line.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

Same here. A big glamorous 5 gallon bucket with a handful of loaded magazines was stashed in my lane for backfilling my belt pouch. I like one or two rifle mag pouches, a belt holster, and a few pistol mags on the belt.

The guys in matching Multicam and hot rod rifles look cooler, but I manage to keep up pretty well with an "outdated" carbine and the aforementioned load. I do like to have a couple knee pads, because my goal is to actually get two consecutive decades of my life without knee surgery.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:05:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

this and lots of ammo
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:06:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
An ifak is nice and all but if you don't want the extra weight don't wear it. Most professional instructors have you covered.
View Quote

And sometimes medical folks bring their own additional blowout supplies, just in case.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:07:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Elbow and kneepads

Quoted:

I spent some time in Iraq and Kuwait gets hot there too
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:18:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Anything you would have on you at 3am when you hear something and grab your gun.

View Quote
So my AR, and a mag stuck into the waistband of my undies. And ONLY my undies.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:27:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Do yourself and everyone else in the class a favor bring as many magazines as possible, make sure they are loaded BEFORE the days class starts and bring a back up rifle in case your main one goes down.

Don't be THAT guy everyone is waiting for, holding up the class
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Rifle, 4 mags, sling.
Pistol, 2 mags, if the class requires a pistol.
IFAK (no longer optional, female recruit almost shot me)
Sunscreen.

You don't need to look like an airsoft warrior to do a class.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:44:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Pistol, two reloads for pistol on belt.
AR with sling two reloads for AR on belt.
Knee pads, eyes, ears and a ball cap.
One of the small Roly Poly dump pouches.

Several loaded mags for both rifle and pistol stored behind the firing line in a ammo can along with lose rounds to top off mags.
Water.

That is it.

<----Not tier 1
<----Closer to tier 5.

View Quote

This is pretty much how I rolled to a class yesterday.

I have about 10 mags with me - 5 topped off and 5 unloaded.  The location where I take classes often does a lot of dry work in the mornings covering mag changes and malfunctions and you end up using empty mags.  

I have a "warbelt" with suspenders, 3 AR mags, 2 pistol mags, holster and dump pouch.  Dump pouch isn't a necessity but I can come to the line with almost double the number of mags of the other students.  While they are stuffing mags I might be doing a second set of the drill.

Definitely have electronic ear pro - this allows you to hear what the instructor is saying and get the most from the class.  The last class I was in the most prevalent brand was Howard Leight...  I guess they are cheap and work...

Good shoes or boots for the weather make class more enjoyable.  A set of shooting glasses with different or switchable lenses - in the darker winter afternoons I found myself switching to clear lenses so I could see better.

Mag loader - I'm a fan of the LULAs and use them a lot.  I'm also thinking about getting away from boxed ammo and putting it in a bag - saves time dealing with the boxes.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#37]
I don't see it mentioned but a dump pouch is really fucking handy.  Doesn't need to be high speed.   I use my trap shooting hull bag.

And this

Quoted:
Do yourself and everyone else in the class a favor bring as many magazines as possible, make sure they are loaded BEFORE the days class starts and bring a back up rifle in case your main one goes down.

Don't be THAT guy everyone is waiting for, holding up the class
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#38]
As others have said, minimum is rifle, sling, pistol, holster, eyes, ears, and some way to retain extra mags.

I will say though that there are some things above the minimum that make it easier to learn and more comfortable, yielding a much greater 'bang for the buck' than going without;

Peltors or similar electronic ear pro - it's very nice to be able to hear conversational speech, range commands, instructor comments during evolutions easily.

Lawn chair or such - being able to sit comfortably during breaks, while loading mags, etc pays dividends at the end of a long day.

Lula and uplula mag loaders - especially for multi-day classes.

Snivel shit - sun block, wet wipes, ibuprofen, a boo-boo kit, yadda yadda makes things more comfortable, helping you to concentrate on what you're there to learn.

Good food, water - again, comfort makes it easier to concentrate.

Cleaning kit, extra batteries, small repair kit - common sense.

Small notebook, pens. I got in he habit of taking quick notes during class, and then writing up a few-page synopsis as soon as I get home. Helps immeasurably with information retention. Most classes also start out with signing waivers and such, with three pens and a dozen guys. Having your own makes things easier.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:52:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Enough to keep up wih the drills without affecting the pace of the class. I was geared up like I never thought I'd ever need for my first one, and still ended up having to borrow a couple pouches and stuff from others. Kinda felt like an idiot. I was much better prepared next time. I'll NEVER run around with the amount of gear I was wearing (chest rig w/ 6 pouches, drop holster to clear chest rig paraphernalia, dump pouch so I had a quick and easy spot to pocket empty/half empty mags, misc shit I can't remember cuz it's been a couple years since I've done one). Basically, (IMO) it's about making everything convenient so you can focus on listening to the instructor, rather than fumbling around with stuff or worrying about whether you'll need 4 or 6 mags for the next sequence.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:53:00 AM EDT
[#40]
You're gonna want to show up with a beard.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#41]
As other have mentioned, mags. I now take 40 loaded mags each day of a class. It is really hard for me to find time to take the classes and time spent loading during the day could be spent resting or paying closer attention to instruction.  With 40 mags I don't have to load even at lunch, just at the end of the day.

Take a sharpie and pencil with you to mark your targets.

Take a rifle you have a lot of rounds through. Don't want to battle any reliability problems at a class; point is to receive instruction.

I've taken Gunsite and Haley classes.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:57:04 AM EDT
[#42]
While at firing line: Carry belt, owb pistol holster, double pistol mag pouch, single rifle mag pouch. Dump bag. One add'l AR mag in back pocket.

I suppose that it can be useful to try out gear while training that one may imagine using in a scenario where the home has to be unassed rapidly. But for the purposes of instruction at hand, I've found that any gear above gun, mags, and minimalist belt pouches are overly cumbersome and completely unnecessary.

Have a backup pistol and rifle in the no fire area and the number of loaded rifle and pistol mags appropriate given the course requirements. Everything else is subjective but for me, the least amount of s*** I wear the better.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:00:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Ammo, lots of ammo
View Quote

This. My job paid for the last Carbine class I went to. My mistake was not requesting enough ammo. On the last day, I was trying to conserve my ammo and didn't do as much runs as I wanted.

All you really need besides that is a battle belt or plate carrier to hold a few pistol and rifle mags.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:04:11 AM EDT
[#44]
This is really all you "need" for a carbine course.

Of course you'll need a hat, sunscreen water ammo and a fast way to refill mags (or many spare mags already loaded) maybe some elbow and knee pads, good sturdy clothes and maybe gloves. Eyes and ears. Boots are nice but not necessary.

If your SWAT or something similar, bring your duty gear or a training set of gear exactly like your duty set up.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#45]
The instructors for a particular course will put out a list of stuff
Generally you should pay attention to what they recommend

Rifle
white light if shooting at night
Some manner to hold spare ammo
Knee pads
Eye/ear pro head gear
Hydration
Spare rifle or spare parts
Range bag with whatever contents you normally bring to range
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:12:29 AM EDT
[#46]
I train in the same gear I work in.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:18:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Imo if your around guns you should have an ifak on you(and know how to use all the stuff in it)relying on an instructor or anyone else to be responsible for your medical equipment is crazy

I have seen a video of some guy in Iraq who gets shot in the leg with a pistol 2 min later he is dead(bled out)

That's about the time it would take for an instructor to go "oh shit I left the blow out kit in the car" run to it and back to you
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

This pretty much covers things....
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:24:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Train as you fight.  For me, that is with a plate carrier and all the weight.  I don't really care about looking cool, but I do care about knowing how to move with what I have to wear.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top