Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2013 1:10:08 AM EDT
i have a 2012 Ford, I have Pirelli scorpion zero tires. im about to break 20k miles, and my tires are more than halfway wasted in tread. mostly highway miles to campus.

The road noise on these tires is migraine causing.

I've been looking at Michelin, BFgoodrich, Nitto tires.

any suggestions?

I live in Miami, Florida. Hot. Hot. Hot. and wet rainy seasons.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:13:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Has to be a Mustang, correct?

Michelins or BFG's.

Pirelli's are very nice when new, but very soft. They go away quickly.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:15:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I only buy Michelins--worth every cent!!

For Summer Tires-Michelin Pilot Super Sports FTW!

All Season Michelin A/S 3
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:21:20 AM EDT
[#3]
dupe

no car so no experience - but tag since my wife is probably due for some
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:25:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Continental DWS has been my favorite tire this past year, best performing and longest lasting all season I've ever had. It may not be race rubber, but it sure sticks nicely.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:45:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Need more details.

Ford what? Driving habits?
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:58:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Need more details.

View Quote

Mustang.
I did not want to disclose the model, because GD will turn this thread into GMvsFordvsDodgevsToyots shit fest. And i just want to get experiences on tires.

I drive to college, use the it nerstate, thats it.

I just want to talk about tires. please.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:24:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Mustang.
I did not want to disclose the model, because GD will turn this thread into GMvsFordvsDodgevsToyots shit fest. And i just want to get experiences on tires.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Need more details.

Mustang.

Well, vehicle model is pretty important when talking about tires. That said, Goodyear RS-A is a pretty good all season tire (the police up here use them), you should also look into the Potenza line from Bridgestone.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 4:58:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Bump
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:03:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Michelin, they pay my bills.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:18:14 AM EDT
[#10]
MY wife's Camry is on its 4 set after 110,000.  Put some Kumho's on it and they are lasting.  Bridgestone and Continentals didn't last worth a crap.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:30:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
MY wife's Camry is on its 4 set after 110,000.  Put some Kumho's on it and they are lasting.  Bridgestone and Continentals didn't last worth a crap.
View Quote

Run like hell from Kumho. I will never own another one of their tires.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:35:19 AM EDT
[#12]
40,000 miles is probably about the tread life of those tires.

If it's not a GT model and you don't care about the high speed ratings...grab a Goodyear touring tire. They're good for 70-80k, ride well.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:47:09 AM EDT
[#13]
After running Bridgestone for about a decade, I recently switched to Hankook and have been very pleased.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:49:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I've had best luck with Cooper Tires on both my car and 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive truck. Wear like iron.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:59:48 AM EDT
[#15]
20k and halfway through the tires? That's pretty decent, looking at about a 40K mile lifespan and right in line with the Pirelli rating. Not sure what you were expecting.

Assuming V6 on 17's or 18's, as far as brand any of the majors would do fine.

Yokohama
Kumho
michelin
hankook
bridgestone
continental
toyo
goodyear
pirelli

People have their preferences, and everyone has had good and bad experiences with different brands. The only ones I'm really uneasy about are made in china tires, everything else seems pretty decent.

Just find something with a decent treadwear equivalent to what you have now (about 400) at a price you want to pay. Some places (like discount tire) will match tirerack or amazon prices, so make sure to look up the model you decide to price compare. Also check discounttireonline.com. Same company, but operates on a different arm and sometimes has better(though sometimes higher) prices
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 6:02:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've had best luck with Cooper Tires on both my car and 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive truck. Wear like iron.
View Quote

I currently have Cooper tires on two vehicles, so far so good.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 6:19:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Florida doesn't get that hot?

I like the BFG KDWS tires for the Mustang.  Not super expensive, and seems to wear good.  Great dry traction, wet not so much but what do you expect?
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 6:21:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Toyo makes a good z-rated tire for the money. No z-rated tires last more than 20-25K miles so don't drop a ton of cash on a set.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 6:30:23 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm guessing the max performance summer bfgoodrich sport comp 2 is out, because of relatively short tire life.

Great tire though.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 6:34:03 AM EDT
[#20]
A lot of tires get noisier as the wear. I run Sumitomo HTRZs on my Vette and when they get past halfway they start to get noisy and when they're near the end they are pretty noisy. You cant beat the tire for the money though.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 6:46:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Buy some Goodyear truck tires and put those on it. I got over 80,000 miles out of two diff pairs. Bridgestone Revo's in between, only got 55 or 60k. Went for some big ol' mud tires this time, cuz it doesn't get a lot of miles nowadays.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:27:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Model?

you guys realize manufacturers make like 20 different kinds of tires for different purposes, to say the brand sucks after trying one is silly...
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:32:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Pirelli tires suck ass.

They cost way too much and are only useful for the first 50% of their tread life which isn't very long in the first place.

Replaced my old Pirelli PZero Rosso's with Sumitomo HTR Z III's. Major upgrade and at half the price.  They drive better and have better grip both wet and dry.

^The above comments are for performance tires.^
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#24]
My wife drives mostly highway and some rural country roads. Her Altima put 84,000 on the original Continentals, I only had to replace 2 of them too for state inspection.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I'm guessing the max performance summer bfgoodrich sport comp 2 is out, because of relatively short tire life.

Great tire though.
View Quote

That's what I have on my GTI now.  They are lasting longer than the Dunlops that were originally on the car, but of course they won't last like your typical all-seasons.  I have not rotated, and my fronts are about down to the wear bar in a little over 20k, and the rears show very little wear.  I'd guess that means about 30k miles if you rotate/average.  They still handle rain well even with the wear.  They're a little noisy around 40mph (and have been from day one) but otherwise I love them and will definitely buy them again.  They seem like the best blend of performance and tread life.

To the OP, I will say, pay attention to what car someone is driving when they recommend a tire.  A small FWD car like a Chevy Spark is not going to use a tire the same way as your Mustang.  Neither is your typical family car.  That doesn't mean you should ignore their recommendation, but maybe go to tirerack, find that tire, then filter the reviews by type of car.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Some of the very shittiest rubber  in all of KOREA is branded " KUMHO"
 For treadlife, and ride quality, my money is on Michelin.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:42:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, Lots and lots of your money...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I only buy Michelins--worth every cent!!

View Quote
this

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Some of the very shittiest rubber  in all of KOREA is branded " KUMHO"
View Quote

I take it you've never used their v710s or XS

All about intended purpose
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Late night bump.  This is serious bidness!
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Late night bump.  This is serious bidness!
View Quote

Go to Tirerack.com and punch in year, make, model.

It'll spit out suggested tires. Read the reviews.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

i have a 2012 Ford, I have Pirelli scorpion zero tires. im about to break 20k miles, and my tires are more than halfway wasted in tread. mostly highway miles to campus.

The road noise on these tires is migraine causing.

I've been looking at Michelin, BFgoodrich, Nitto tires.

any suggestions?

I live in Miami, Florida. Hot. Hot. Hot. and wet rainy seasons.
View Quote

I have had good experiences with Michelin, Goodyear, and Continental.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Michelin, they pay my bills.
View Quote

I'm sure you know several of my friends then.

The only Goodyear I might recommend would be a Eagle GT, they were on my Z when I got it and got surprisingly good life out of them for the amount of grip they had, being an all season.

But Michelin/BFG is the way to go.

Maybe look at the Michelin PIlot AS3
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Kumho KL61's (truck).... amazing tire for the price!
Kumho 4X (car) again, fantastic tire for the price

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top