Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2005 11:06:59 PM EDT
My Impala has been cutting off while driving on me while driving again, it doesnt seen to make much of a difference if warm or just started.

Today since it didnt appeat to be getting spark we replace the ignition coil, MAF sensor has checked out ok, replaced fuel filter, oil pressure sensor, and TPS.

It will just cut off on me sometimes it will crank right back up, sometimes will need to sit a few minutes or possible have battery cable pulled then reattached.

Thinking possible fuel problems, since its close to empty will refill and try to tear was water in gas tomorrow.

Anyone got any ideas, Im running low on them.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 11:11:29 PM EDT
[#1]
cam sensor???

Crank shaft sensor???
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 11:11:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you checked the codes?  Need more info...year, engine, etc.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 11:13:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Have you checked the codes?  Need more info...year, engine, etc.

95 Impala SS
350LT1

Tried several times, gives no codes at all.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 11:13:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds almost like a bad fuel pump or fuel pump relay.

Thats kinda what my truck did to me.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 11:15:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Dont run it close to empty, you'll burn out that fuel pump
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 11:17:33 PM EDT
[#6]
If your fuel pump is in the tank, put a ball bat in your trunk.  Next time it stops, pound on the bottom of the fuel tank several times with the ball bat.  If it starts back up immediately, it's the fuel pump.  When they are failing, the motor can get stuck, resulting in intermittent failures.  I had it happen to me 3 times over a year, the last time it was in front of the local hotshot independent mechanic's place.  He asked him to tow me home, he asked me a couple questions and did the above, and sent me home.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 11:17:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Close meaning appox 20 gallons to fill up which should leave me around 3 or 4, I was closer to halftank today.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 11:18:00 PM EDT
[#8]
check for 2 fuel filters on it I had a caprice that had 2 and it did the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 11:18:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm confused you're still getting no spark?

Check for fuel pressure, turn ignition most of the way but do not turn over starter. This should run the fuel pump.

Unscrew the valve cap (looks like giant black plastic tire valve cover) on the fuel rail on the back of the plenum. There is a valve you can press in with a screwdriver. Fuel will spray if there is pressure so be careful with a rag or something.

Link Posted: 1/2/2005 11:20:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
check for 2 fuel filters on it I had a caprice that had 2 and it did the same thing.

What year was it?
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 11:20:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Buy a new car!
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 11:21:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Unscrew the valve cap (looks like giant black plastic tire valve cover) on the fuel rail on the back of the plenum. There is a valve you can press in with a screwdriver. Fuel will spray if there is pressure so be careful with a rag or something.

We did that awhile back, it did spray fuel.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 11:21:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Also as info, my 4.3L GM will NOT spark if there is no fuel IIRC.  Something with the way the computer is set up.  I checked for spark when I had problems and had none, but was told that is normal if there is no fuel.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 11:22:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Buy a new car!

Um that costs money, plus if I get a new car by March it will be hit by someome uninsured and damaged in some other way,

There also isnt much out there I like, I pulled insurance off the other car since I havent drove it lately.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok I might have bad news, does it do it only after you drive for a while or you have been running it hard. Does it cut out when you accelerate but idle fine?
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 11:28:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Ok I might have bad news, does it do it only after you drive for a while or you have been running it hard. Does it cut out when you accelerate but idle fine?

Nope no pattern really, will cut out anywhere from taking off to coming down a hill not touch the gas.  

I drove 40 miles fine the other night, but it cut off just out the driveway and while driving for about 20 min lately too.

I also dont like trying to push that thing, its kinda heavy.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 11:33:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like a fuel pump .

Oh and just as a side note , the " Sprays Fuel " at the Schrader valve
trick don't mean shit . 5 psi will spit in your eye but your LT1 needs
28 PSI minimum .

Of course that $100  LT1 style distributor cap is always suspect too .
If it's the old single vent style that came stock on the 95
you could be looking at Ozone damaged distributor internal wiring ......

And you don't even want to know what that will cost you

ETA

They call it an optical distributor because your eyes pop out when your price it
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 11:37:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like the POS Optispark distributer. It will cost you if that's it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 11:40:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

And if Im correct its in a pain in the ass place too
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 11:40:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Inverted 4mm torx ........ just to get the cap off

and yeah its behind the water pump and driven off the cam with a tiny gear
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 11:41:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah under the water pump. I did it in my firebird. It should be wasier for you. You may want to do the water pump at the same time if it's old.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 11:44:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah under the water pump. I did it in my firebird. It should be wasier for you. You may want to do the water pump at the same time if it's old.

Just changed the waterpump a few months ago.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 11:48:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Was it leaking on the cap ??

You also need to get a mirror and look to see if the cap has 2 vents on it
at 3 & 9 oclock . If it doesnt , thats a 10 year old cap .
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 11:51:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Possibly some but this problem has been off and on for a year, so it happened before that too.

Have to look at the cap tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 11:54:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What year was it?

first one was an 85 had one in the "carb" and under the driver's door  and my sister has (or should i say had some one torched the inside of it) 92  has one along the frame and one above the tank
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 11:55:36 PM EDT
[#26]
got the one along the frame, have to look for the one above the tank later when I get home and have the decent jack.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 11:57:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You also need to get a mirror and look to see if the cap has 2 vents on it
at 3 & 9 oclock . If it doesnt , thats a 10 year old cap .

Impallas are 95-96 only right? should be vented. I did a '93 unvented POS.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 11:58:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Impallas are 95-96 only right? should be vented. I did a '93 unvented POS.

94-96 this one is a 95.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 11:59:51 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm assuming the LT1 version has a fuel pressure regulator – if so, another item to check.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 12:14:30 AM EDT
[#30]
if it is still an obd1 computer and not the odb2, jump terminal a&b with a paper clip and turn the key to light the dash but don't start it and read the trouble codes
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 5:08:09 AM EDT
[#31]
I had a similar problem with my Cavalier it would just quit, sometimes it would start back up other times it would have to cool first.  OBD 1 would throw ignition codes but couldn't tell me if it was the module, the computer, the coil or the crank sensor. The dealer wanted to change all. I took the car home and replaced the least expensive item, the crank sensor, and solved the prob.........
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:20:45 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Big +1 on GM vehicles.  I'd also suspect fuel delivery problem.  You can get a tool fairly cheaply that will test the fuel pressure.  

I have about the same car ('95 Roadmaster) and ignition module is another fairly cheap part than can become intermitent and cause problems.

Check over at www.impalassforum.com.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:23:57 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Buy a new car!

No way!  No better car on the road than a 1995 Impala.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 11:03:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Well it stopped happening, didnt do it since I posted this, cut off once after the new ignition coil then didnt do it anymore.

Im kinda mad about it since I expect it will come back.  I did put 18.5 Gal of 93 in it today, skipped the water treatment, probaly replace a few of the cheaper parts anyway.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:31:43 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Well it stopped happening, didnt do it since I posted this, cut off once after the new ignition coil then didnt do it anymore.

Im kinda mad about it since I expect it will come back.  I did put 18.5 Gal of 93 in it today, skipped the water treatment, probaly replace a few of the cheaper parts anyway.

Don't put "premium" in it too much or you will get lots of carbon build-up in the engine.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:55:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:58:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Did you fix that piece of shit yet?

Strangely it stopped messing up.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:46:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:49:19 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Is it colder outside?

Nope, did when warm and cold.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top