Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2011 8:31:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/22/2011 8:32:30 AM EDT by hanau]
I have a 04 Ford Taurus with a 3.0 engine.
Had the starter replaced yesterday and we also had them read the check engine code and came back with p0420 code.

Trouble
   Code - P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

The garage we go to said that the  catalytic converter gave the fault and need to be replaced and they gave us the names of some local muffler shops to go.(none of them where a chain repair place)
We went to a  local muffler shop and they agreed with the replacement. Total cost for repair will be $640 (ford has bascially some weird setup for the catalytic converters)
My question is will it hurt to wait to repair this or will it cause damage to my car?

Didn't ask the muffler shop since I believe they will say needs replaced ASAP even if it doesn't.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 8:35:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 8:36:47 AM EDT
It has about 140,000 miles on it.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 8:40:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 8:46:56 AM EDT
Thanks,

trying to hold it off for about a month before replacing it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 8:50:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 10:07:59 AM EDT
You might replace the 02 sensors before and after that cat, to see if that is the issue.  That code actually means that the computer is *sensing* that the cat isn't working right.  That could be because the cat is degraded, or it could be because one of the sensor isn't working properly.

You can pick up 02 sensors pretty cheap, and they can be replaced with a wrench.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 10:11:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SimonPhoto:
You might replace the 02 sensors before and after that cat, to see if that is the issue.  That code actually means that the computer is *sensing* that the cat isn't working right.  That could be because the cat is degraded, or it could be because one of the sensor isn't working properly.

You can pick up 02 sensors pretty cheap, and they can be replaced with a wrench.

This.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 10:24:12 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 10:38:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Quintin:
Originally Posted By Hammbone:
Originally Posted By SimonPhoto:

This.

If anything, that code kinda points towards the sensors operating correctly.  If the sensors weren't working right, they'd set their own specific codes for slow/no response.

Ive had code 420 before, and resolved it by replacing the sensor after the cat.  YMMV, obviously :)

If you have the cat replaced, make sure you grab the old one.  They go for $60-$120 at the salvage yard.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 10:48:36 AM EDT
OK to drive.
I've never seen that code be anything but a cat.

I've heard that a cat can be punched out, and the downstream O2 sensor modified by cutting off the protective cover; and then reinstalled with one of those spark plug non foulers.  Anybody heard of or tried that?
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 10:51:48 AM EDT
Did you just start running ethanol fuel? When I run ethanol in my 97 mazda it kicks up the same code.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 10:54:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NoFnNamesLeft:

OK to drive.

I've never seen that code be anything but a cat.

I've heard that a cat can be punched out, and the downstream O2 sensor modified by cutting off the protective cover; and then reinstalled with one of those spark plug non foulers.  Anybody heard of or tried that?
And this is very illegal and probably should not be talked about here.

Top Top