Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2005 12:51:45 PM EDT
A few years ago my fathers sports car was wrecked by a mechanic who was repairing it.  The mechanic didn't report the accident, the dealer (who the mechanic worked for) argued with us about who caused some of the damage, basically were jerks about it, the car was repaired by another shop at the expense of the first shops insurance.

Anyways last week there was an article in the paper about this dealership's racing team and painted a nice picture of them.  We're thinking this may be a good way to write a letter to the editor about what they did to us.

The owner of this place is a real jerk, my only concern is that he might sue us for this.  So if we put only the truth in the letter are we likely to lose some money?

Bottom line what would you do?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:52:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd send the letter to the editor, put a nice cramp on their sales potential.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Go wreck his racing car, then draw down!

Actually your idea sounds good
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think they will publish the letter.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:08:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You can't get sued for the truth.

Sure you can. You can lose too. Even if you don't lose you have to defend the suit with real dollars. Right or wrong has nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:09:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Even if they publish it...I ask you...who really reads the letters? Personally, I'd take advantage of the dealership's new fame and contact your local consumer group (or local newstation's consumer hotline) and tell them the story...

ETA: Local chapter of the BBB and ATTY Gen'l offices as well...

Nope...I've never ever done anything like this ever....................
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:15:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure you can. You can lose too. Even if you don't lose you have to defend the suit with real dollars. Right or wrong has nothing to do with it.

+1
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:21:12 PM EDT
[#8]
draw down
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:21:36 PM EDT
[#9]
 The time to have written the letter was a couple of years ago, when the original transgression took place.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:09:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Where does a newspaper get most of it revenue?

Answer: Ad sales.

Who advertises the most, in most newspapers?

Answer: Car dealers.

Do you really think that the newspaper will print your letter?

Answer: Not on your life.

If most newspapers ran the real stories about people getting ripped of by car dealers there would not be much else left to print in them.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Where does a newspaper get most of it revenue?

Answer: Ad sales.

Who advertises the most, in most newspapers?

Answer: Car dealers.

Do you really think that the newspaper will print your letter?

Answer: Not on your life.

If most newspapers ran the real stories about people getting ripped of by car dealers there would not be much else left to print in them.

What he said.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
A few years ago my fathers sports car was wrecked by a mechanic who was repairing it.  The mechanic didn't report the accident, the dealer (who the mechanic worked for) argued with us about who caused some of the damage, basically were jerks about it, the car was repaired by another shop at the expense of the first shops insurance.

Anyways last week there was an article in the paper about this dealership's racing team and painted a nice picture of them.  We're thinking this may be a good way to write a letter to the editor about what they did to us.

The owner of this place is a real jerk, my only concern is that he might sue us for this.  So if we put only the truth in the letter are we likely to lose some money?

#1 Should have gotten a lawyer at the time of the incident
#2 Nothing wrong with you telling everyone you know what a POS this guy is (word of mouth cant be sued)
#3 Dont write the letter if you dont want to be sued even though you may be right.
#4 Let it go, life lesson learned.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Well even though they were jerks about it, the car got fixed and their insurance ponied up the cash.  What more do you want out of this deal?  You can probably get sued by them for slander.  I'd let it go.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:33:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well even though they were jerks about it, the car got fixed and their insurance ponied up the cash.  What more do you want out of this deal?  You can probably get sued by them for slander libel.  I'd let it go.

Slander is spoken, libel is written.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:35:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Potato time. Use a broom handle. Makes it really hard to get out.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:36:56 PM EDT
[#16]
leave the past in the past

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:37:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well even though they were jerks about it, the car got fixed and their insurance ponied up the cash.  What more do you want out of this deal?  You can probably get sued by them for slander libel.  I'd let it go.

Slander is spoken, libel is written.

Oh get technical why don't ya!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:37:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#19]
His race car isn't insured you know......................
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:45:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Did it buff right out?  If so, move on with your life but don't forget to spread the word.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:38:56 AM EDT
[#21]
What would I do? Drop it.  

What happened to your fathers car happened "A few years ago".  the car was repaired and paid for by the dealers insurance.  It is done and over with.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:56:02 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Wrong.

You probably can't be successfully sued for the truth, but you can be sued for ANYTHING.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top