Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/7/2005 6:24:25 PM EDT
Okay, I know that car audio question may not be right up the usual arfcomer's alley, but the Hive mind never ceases to amaze me so I'm starting here first.
I have a 2002 Nissan Maxima,non-bose setup, that has a blown speaker. Just blew the left front speaker today during a spirited commute. Anyway, front and rear speakers are 6.5", with small tweeters mounted in the a pillars up front. In most of my vehicles I have always found that I usually set the fader towards the rear a little bit, I always like slightly more sound coming from behind me. Anyway, here is what I am thinking of doing, tell me if my logic is correct:
I want to replace the fronts, including the small tweeters with a 6.5" component set. Rears will be replaced with a non-compenent set with a slightly higher sensitivity rating, say 90dB up front, and 92dB in back. Will the slight difference in sensitivity give me a little more volume coming out of the rear speakers without adjusting the fader? I'm thinking of a good pair of 3 ways for the back. Or should I go with components in front and back, finding a spot to mount the tweeters in back? Also currently looking at Pioneer speakers, I've got a Pioneer head unit that I love, and I have had good luck and sound with Pioneer speakers in the past for the money. BTW, I'm looking at spending no more than $250 or so for all 4 speakers. Might consider adding a small sub (8") in the back someday for a little more punch, just as long as it does not get too muddy. BTW, my music choices usually lean towards rock, new and old.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:31:43 PM EDT
2 db is almost too small of a difference in regards to the human ear to really make much of a difference. Especially with just using the power from your head unit, which at most would be 50 or so watts per speaker. Unless you're a real audiophile or have a power amp separate from your head unit, I don't think a component system will make much of a difference. Get good 3-way speakers with a mid tweeter dome for the back.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:34:37 PM EDT
Db is measured at 1 watt at 1 meter iirc. Try a larger set of speakers in the back (6x9) or you can just add a 4 channel amp later and turn down the gains on the front speakers.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:37:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 6:39:39 PM EDT by uglygun]
Spend more money on your front sound stage as that is where your ears will hear the "quality" coming from.

Sounds from behind you aren't going to be as easy for your ears to pick up and spending tons of money on high quality rear components will be a relative waste as your hearing is relatively directional.

You can play around with tweeter types up front, some tweeter materials are softer sounding while others are more harsh and abrasive. I am a fan of softer tweeters like silk dome or even plastics. Used to have some Mb Quart speakers in one of my old trucks and the titanium tweeters were not to my tastes even when I cut them down on the crossover. Infinity and Polk are some of my favorite speaker makers out there for this reason.
Top Top