11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 8/22/2004 8:05:10 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:07:02 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:09:28 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:13:55 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:17:13 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:31:33 PM EST
I don't like the bazooka tubes personally.

I reccomend you get a nice 10 inch sub with amp setup, or maybe an 8, if you decide that a 10 is more than you need. There are plenty of good brands to look for. You will get much better sound from it and have much more control over it than you would with just a bazooka tube, and you can get a sealed box with a 10 and an amp for about the same price, or slightly more at the most.

Alpine head units are great, I have a Blaupunkt in my car right now, and I love it, has everything i need and was great quality for the money. Clarion is another good brand for head units I'd look at.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:49:39 PM EST
I love the XM system too. I have not gone back to local radio since the day after Christmas 2003.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:03:07 PM EST
bazooka tubes suck, i was in the car audio buss over 20 years, get a sub with a box, what kind of car do you have?
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:16:26 PM EST
Hey, something I know about on here. I'll be damned!

Sub size would depend on the space you want to give up. Going with an infinite baffle setup allows you to use about as big of a sub as you want but onyl works in cars with trunks. More important then sub size or brand is the install. us car audio guys have a saying... "Its all in the install". And it is. The best sub in the world wouldnt sound very good in a bad install, but a bad sub would sound decent in a good install. High end subs can be more forgiving, but you NEED to do the box right for the sub your using. Also, dont always trust the manufacturers recommended specs. Kicker is notorious for "optimizing" box specs. I personally use a Adire Brahma 12" sub and love it. Running from a Revo 1500.1, 1500 watts @ 1 ohm. The Brahma is a bit pricey, probably more then you'd want to pay. But it does use the XBL^2 motor structure which is a highly optimized motor and the cleanest conventional motor on the market. Resonant Engineering XXX's also use XBL^2 technology. Recently Adire released the Koda series of subs which are a little brother to the Brahma, as well using a XBL^2 motor technology. The Brahma's and XXX's are around 400, give or take depending on size. The Koda's come in around 200-300 depending on size. For good "bang for the buck" as it were Infinity and Alpine are good, as is JL and Stryke Audio and a good number of other brands. So, I'd look into a JL Audio, Alpine or Adire Koda if it were me.

You might be better served gettign a good component set. While you wont get the bass of a true dedicated sub, even components in a good install can signifigantly extend your low end. Another option for extremely tight installs is going with a 6.5" or 8" sub. JL Audio makes a dedicated 6.5" subwoofer. Its no 12", but it gets the job done.

For HU's I prefer Eclipse. Really, its personal preference. Eclipse decks have 1 year theft warrenty, so that goes a long ways to being a good deck. Pioneer is a good bang for the buck deck.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:22:24 PM EST
Oh yeah, eclipse units are really good also.

I'd say between alpine, clarion and eclipse, they are all good, it just depnds on which has a model that does what you need at your price point.

And I agree completely about getting a component system before going with a bazooka tube. Just changing my 6.5s in the front doors of my car made a HUUUGE difference.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:24:12 PM EST

Originally Posted By iamblades:
Oh yeah, eclipse units are really good also.

I'd say between alpine, clarion and eclipse, they are all good, it just depnds on which has a model that does what you need at your price point.

And I agree completely about getting a component system before going with a bazooka tube. Just changing my 6.5s in the front doors of my car made a HUUUGE difference.

Correction my friend, Eclipse units are the BEST.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:35:47 PM EST

I think I need a sub, someone suggested a bazooka tube.

If you do, get the RS rather than the EL. It sounds much better. If I remember correctly, it was about 50% more in price, but if you're going to the effort of installing it and running wires, you might as well spend a little more and do it right.

If you build your own, you can do much better, but it's more hassle and will probably cost more. The Bazooka tubes are so easy to install.z
Top Top