Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2005 1:53:23 PM EDT
I have a 98 Jeep Wrangler and need to get an alignment.  One guy says it will cost me $80 for an alignment.  Is this normal?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds about right.  Shop around if you need to.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:04:59 PM EDT
[#2]
If you were a really cheap Soumalainen, you'd do it yourself...  

I had one done about a month ago for $60, but got a couple new tires at the same time, so total cost was higher.   That was the price for a Corolla.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:09:54 PM EDT
[#3]
$49 at most places here
just got mine done it was 4wd also not sure if that makes a diffrence or not
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:12:18 PM EDT
[#4]
If the aligment shop tells you you need to get any parts replaced in the front end, tkae the vehicle to an auto repair shop for a second opinion.

I have had several customers that get a quote for a lot of new parts before it can be aligned, but when they have me check it out, evrything is perfectly fine.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:21:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Average price here is around $49. Firestone offers lifetime alignments for as little as a hundred bucks. Tire Kingdom has a "5-year" alignment for about the same price.

Front end parts on cars typically wear out at some point. Late model cars and trucks have no lube fittings, so that exacerbates the problem. If a shop says you have worn parts, ask them to show you. A quick shake down of the front end with the tires off the ground will quickly reveal any worn parts. Also, ask to have your old parts returned to you.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Average price here is around $49. Firestone offers lifetime alignments for as little as a hundred bucks. Tire Kingdom has a "5-year" alignment for about the same price.

Front end parts on cars typically wear out at some point. Late model cars and trucks have no lube fittings, so that exacerbates the problem. If a shop says you have worn parts, ask them to show you. A quick shake down of the front end with the tires off the ground will quickly reveal any worn parts. Also, ask to have your old parts returned to you.

Shops should be required to return all old parts not having a core charge, whether requested or not, though yes, disposal would be a problem and some cusotmers would go, "Eeewww".

One I know showed an ex the "replaced" front end part for a different vehicle.   Oh yeah, also forgot to reinsert or tighten the upper caliper bolt ("impossible - we use an impact gun for that" er, one wouldn't fit in that space) and it tilted down to scraped in the inside of the rim, they left out one screw on the distibutor cap, and they also left out the bolt on one engine mount.  Other than that, they did fine work  I reported that one to the state.  I don't like to get the state involved in people's business, but it's better than using his tools on him.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#7]
If you plan on keeping it, go to firestone. 149-179 depending on if it is on sale, and if they give you a break on it being a 4x4. Lifetime alignement, so you can go once a week if you want. I caution you to check out a few firestones though. Some are worse than others. But the way I figure it, if I get it aligned twice, I got my money out of it. Plus I tend to replace suspension parts myself, so it is nice to be able to pull up and get it aligned without paying any more.
I also agree, take it somewhere else to check if they say you need parts.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:20:34 PM EDT
[#8]
$39 for a rear wheel drive, front wheel alignment only.

$79 for a front wheel drive, four wheel alignment.

Your jeep has coil springs at all four corners but has a solid axle rear.  I do believe, however, that a trackbar and trailing arm adjustment can be made on a stock coil spring wrangler.  So it sounds like they are going to do a four wheel alignment.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#9]
A relative has a Wrangler with coil springs in front, but not long ago, I saw another with leaf (albeit flimsy-looking) springs.  When did they change, and in which direction.   Frankly the sway is a bit too much in the corners for me,  I keep thinking rollover (unlike the Bronco I had with coils in front).
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a '97 Wrangler, and NTB only charges me $59.99.

HH
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
A relative has a Wrangler with coil springs in front, but not long ago, I saw another with leaf (albeit flimsy-looking) springs.  When did they change, and in which direction.   Frankly the sway is a bit too much in the corners for me,  I keep thinking rollover (unlike the Bronco I had with coils in front).

97-05 Wranglers are also known as TJ's they have round headlights like the old CJ's.  These jeeps have solid axles front and rear but have coil spring suspensions.  They are pretty tough and there are tons of aftermarket parts to make bad azz toys or money pits out of them.  They are far more stable than the old CJ's and YJ's,  but there is no such thing as a stock jeep, so I can't speak for anything I don't own or haven't worked on.  TJ's took the place of YJ's in '97 which took the place of CJ's in '87

This concludes tonights jeep history lesson.

Dace,

I'd find out exactly what they plan on doing to you jeep for $80.  If they are just going to align the front I'd look elsewheres.  

And please,  nobody post any Hummers are the best, Jeeps suck crap...
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I usually figure $40/end.  My alignment guy will align the front and check the rear, and only do the rear if it's needed.  So far, it hasn't been needed.

Jim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top