Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/23/2020 3:47:02 PM
Posted: 9/9/2013 2:27:44 PM EDT
I was involved in a wreck last week, a Prius pulled out in front of me in traffic and I smacked him. He was cited for unsafe lane change.  I was in a beater commuter car (98 Civic) that had the front dented in, hood lifted, side panel gouged etc.  It's nothing major but it looks like more than the car is worth in body work.

I assume they are going to offer to total it. I paid maybe 3K for the car when I got it.  They said bring the title with you in case it's totaled.

what do I need to know? I assume they are going to try and screw me over. The car is worth maybe 3K tops,  it's got 175K on it.

What if they offer me 1000 bucks?  Do I just tell them to fix it and walk away unless they are realistic?  

Not sure how to proceed.....
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:29:31 PM EDT
well you hit me, you were aggressive

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:32:38 PM EDT
Originally Posted By crashburnrepeat:
I was involved in a wreck last week, a Prius pulled out in front of me in traffic and I smacked him. He was cited for unsafe lane change.  I was in a beater commuter car (98 Civic) that had the front dented in, hood lifted, side panel gouged etc.  It's nothing major but it looks like more than the car is worth in body work.

I assume they are going to offer to total it. I paid maybe 3K for the car when I got it.  They said bring the title with you in case it's totaled.

what do I need to know? I assume they are going to try and screw me over. The car is worth maybe 3K tops,  it's got 175K on it.

What if they offer me 1000 bucks?  Do I just tell them to fix it and walk away unless they are realistic?  

View Quote

Depends on what you want. If its totaled you can likely buy it back and fix it yourself if its not that bad. But depending on your states laws getting it back on the road (legally) might not make it worth it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:33:08 PM EDT
People rag on insurance companies a lot but ours have always been fare. When my wife's civic was stolen i would say it was worth no more than 4 grand. they offered her 11. I told her to shut her mouth and take the money.

But take your car in for an estimate and see what they say it would cost to fix then see what the adjuster has to say.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:34:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2013 2:35:21 PM EDT by crashburnrepeat]
Originally Posted By armoredsaint:

http://images51.fotki.com/v299/photos/7/499657/12302902/20130309_200611_2-vi.jpg

View Quote

well why are you driving around in a vagina?!

The Other Guys
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:35:34 PM EDT

View Quote

If they low ball you, how does your check feel...I mean your neck?

They are going to low ball you, garuuunteeeed.  Get the KBB value so you know what the car is worth. If its worth $3k or find 3-5 cars in your area and see what they are asking for them.

What kind of rental car did they get you?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:38:04 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Scufflefluffle:

Depends on what you want. If its totaled you can likely buy it back and fix it yourself if its not that bad. But depending on your states laws getting it back on the road (legally) might not make it worth it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Scufflefluffle:

It's just crinkled all up.  I drove it home and to work today.  The hood is up a little, fenders bashed in, door etc. I already have new fenders in the garage, so getting it back on the road would not be bad.

I just don't know if they offer 1K what kind of leeway they have,  if a counteroffer is acceptible.  I just assume they are going to lowball.  If they are fair I'll take it. I'm not out to screw them, but generally, that's not the game the insurance company is playing.

If they said 2500 I'd take it without a word. If they said 1500 I will probably just tell them to fix it. I have heard that sometimes the hittee doesn't have a lot of rights, they can basically say this is what we are giving you, end of story.

but I'm not really  sure.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:39:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2013 2:43:24 PM EDT by crashburnrepeat]
Originally Posted By shadowmaker1969:

They are going to low ball you, garuuunteeeed.  Get the KBB value so you know what the car is worth. If its worth $3k or find 3-5 cars in your area and see what they are asking for them.

View All Quotes

No rental, drove it away.  actually it might be driving a little better, had a very minor pull to the right prior to impact. hard to tell but feels like it might not have that now....
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:51:34 PM EDT

No rental, drove it away.  actually it might be driving a little better, had a very minor pull to the right prior to impact. hard to tell but feels like it might not have that now....
View All Quotes

I wouldn't worry too much about the insurance company. Both times I've made a claim, they've been more than fair and I actually came out well on top. Of course, your experience may vary.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:58:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2013 2:59:37 PM EDT by samsonxd73]
Originally Posted By Boomslang64:

I wouldn't worry too much about the insurance company. Both times I've made a claim, they've been more than fair and I actually came out well on top. Of course, your experience may vary.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Boomslang64:

I had the exact opposite I had a lady run a red light and plow into my vette in the drivers door at 45 mph. Make a long story short her insurance company offered to pay me for my veh I said sure. I showed up at their office and they low balled me I walked and got a attorney. All I wanted was what it would cost me to build another vette no injuries etc... it took almost 20 months for the ins company to settle in the end though it cost them more then if they had took my original offer. If I have to do it again I will go through my ins and let them get the money from the other party ins. Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:11:24 PM EDT
You should always bring it to your own shop and have them do the estimate.  See what the insurance company offers you and take it from there.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:12:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:13:25 PM EDT
Im pretty sure you can make them give you book, or make them fix your rig. they dont want to come up to book, they can deal with your insurance and your shark lawyer.  Pretty sure you can pick a body shop too, take your time, shop around find a body shop that does expensive one of a kind work by hand, get a quote. I got told to find a body shop that I like din my town and get a written quote and send it to them. (gal hit my parked car in lot). got a quote for 4300, insurance sent me a check and said have a nice day.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:14:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2013 3:18:22 PM EDT by armoredsaint]

Originally Posted By ZW17:
Haha! Perfect.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ZW17:

Originally Posted By armoredsaint:

http://images51.fotki.com/v299/photos/7/499657/12302902/20130309_200611_2-vi.jpg

Haha! Perfect.

wasted my new AR15 zombie sticker on the lower right corner too

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:26:08 PM EDT
You should be able to keep the $$ for the car minus the salvage value (a few hundred $$).    

It will have an R or S (Reconstructed or Salvage) title on it after being totaled.    

AFARR
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:31:38 PM EDT
You can get up to the value of the car, or how much it costs to repair it.

The most you will get is the value of the car.

Of course, one of my co-workers had his vehicle "totalled", he got the money for the vehicle AND got to keep the vehicle.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:36:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AFARR:
You should be able to keep the $$ for the car minus the salvage value (a few hundred $$).    

It will have an R or S (Reconstructed or Salvage) title on it after being totaled.    

AFARR
View Quote

I dont think that hurts the value of a 98 civic w/175K miles that much.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:38:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By fsjdw2:
Im pretty sure you can make them give you book, or make them fix your rig. they dont want to come up to book, they can deal with your insurance and your shark lawyer.  Pretty sure you can pick a body shop too, take your time, shop around find a body shop that does expensive one of a kind work by hand, get a quote. I got told to find a body shop that I like din my town and get a written quote and send it to them. (gal hit my parked car in lot). got a quote for 4300, insurance sent me a check and said have a nice day.
View Quote

If OP is filing third party, his insurance company will NOT be representing him.

Every company handles things differently, but one thing is universal, a letter of representation from a lawyer means that the at-fault carrier can no longer discuss the claim with the claimant; contact will now be through the lawyer's office - This is a point of frustration for those who hire lawyers and don't fully understand what it entails.

Additionally, legal representation in a PD claim?  Not likely worthwhile.  Especially with a 98 Honda.  How much will it cost to retain a lawyer?  Consulting fees?  What kind of settlement would you expect?  

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:39:56 PM EDT
Oh, so it's you I have the appointment with tomorrow.  Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:00:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By OLY-M4gery:

View All Quotes

AFARR

That was my thought.    If he gets a few $$ out of it and does the labor himself, he can drive it for as long as he wants...and if he goes to resell, it won't damage the resale too much on a car of that age.

AFARR
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:04:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2013 4:04:57 PM EDT by California_Kid]
It's always a bad choice to have to make.

My previous vehicle was a 1985 Nissan King Cab pickup that I bought new.  By the time I sold it for $300, in 2002, it had been totaled TWICE.  I kept it and fixed it with junk yard parts (entire bed one time) and a lot of Bondo.

I never had any problem with the engine, drive train, suspension, or brakes.  I had to replace the radiator once, belts, hoses, ignition parts needed normal maintenance, but the original water pump and a lot of other parts lasted 265 K miles.

I got a lot of flak from my parents for buying a new vehicle, but I got my money's worth out of it  A good beater vehicle is your friend.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:19:56 PM EDT
A 98 civic with 175,000 worth about $3,000
I want some of what you are smoking.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:27:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:07:14 PM EDT

That was my thought.    If he gets a few $$ out of it and does the labor himself, he can drive it for as long as he wants...and if he goes to resell, it won't damage the resale too much on a car of that age.

AFARR
View All Quotes

AFARR

AFARR

I won't be reselling it. this is a bought with cash, commuter car,  that's not real pretty, but if I WERE to sell it it'd likely be worth 2500-3000 bucks.  I just don't know how to handle it if they offer me something stupid like 1000 bucks or something.

I think I will see what they say, if it's too low I'll consider it and go get my own quote and counter.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:08:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2013 6:09:58 PM EDT by crashburnrepeat]
Originally Posted By dmfl54:
View Quote

local market is REALLY high for cars that get good gas mileage. I'd say based on local market it's worth maybe 2400 low and 3300 high.  it's higher mileage but it's in good shape otherwise. well, was, now it's all bulgy and whatnot.

ETA: I think dumbasses cash for clunkers kinda screwed the used car market. still feeling it locally.  beater gas mileage cars are getting around 3K right now.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:24:03 PM EDT
You can get up to the value of the car, or how much it costs to repair it.

The most you will get is the value of the car.

Of course, one of my co-workers had his vehicle "totalled", he got the money for the vehicle AND got to keep the vehicle.  

View Quote

This what MY insurance adjuster did on 3 hail totaled vehicles.My  truck I put in a new windshield and drove it 6 more years...and I never had a "salvage" title on any of them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:31:48 PM EDT

local market is REALLY high for cars that get good gas mileage. I'd say based on local market it's worth maybe 2400 low and 3300 high.  it's higher mileage but it's in good shape otherwise. well, was, now it's all bulgy and whatnot.

ETA: I think dumbasses cash for clunkers kinda screwed the used car market. still feeling it locally.  beater gas mileage cars are getting around 3K right now.
View All Quotes

I got $1680 for a KBB Value using a Salt Lake City Zip, Excellent Condition, Manual Trans, Sedan, DX trim.

Before you go, you should have a couple of on-line quotes (KBB, Edmunds, etc.) with your exact trim, etc.

Then several craigslist ads, autoshopper ads, etc. etc. with similar vehicles priced.

Then if they offer a ridiculously low value, you have something to stand on.

Also know what the salvage value is mentioned above.    If you can get $1800 on the vehicle, and the salvage value is $300, you'll get a check for $1500 and keep the car to repair yourself (or the whole $1800 and they get the car).    

Don't be afraid to mention that maybe you need a Lawyer and he can advise you on what to take for it and be ready to walk away.

AFARR
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:13:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2013 7:15:32 PM EDT by crashburnrepeat]

I got $1680 for a KBB Value using a Salt Lake City Zip, Excellent Condition, Manual Trans, Sedan, DX trim.

Before you go, you should have a couple of on-line quotes (KBB, Edmunds, etc.) with your exact trim, etc.

Then several craigslist ads, autoshopper ads, etc. etc. with similar vehicles priced.

Also know what the salvage value is mentioned above.    If you can get $1800 on the vehicle, and the salvage value is $300, you'll get a check for $1500 and keep the car to repair yourself (or the whole $1800 and they get the car).    

Don't be afraid to mention that maybe you need a Lawyer and he can advise you on what to take for it and be ready to walk away.

AFARR
View All Quotes

AFARR

that's a good number to start with,  I think KBB is a lot lower than local market conditions but it's a fair arguing point for them.

here's our local classifieds add,  nothing close to the condition of this car is below 2500. there are a few lower but they don't run.   if I had to buy a similar one today  I'd be 2500 minimum and up to 3500.
http://tinyurl.com/oh2sxop
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:17:51 PM EDT
When my car was totaled, State Farm based their offer on similarly equipped cars for sale in my area, plus tax. It was not based on any book value.
Top Top