Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/31/2015 8:58:28 AM EDT
My 2010 Jeep Commander has been running rough lately. Knew I needed to take it in, but didn't. This morning, check engine light came on. Not the flashing one of death, just solid. Pulled over, did key on/off thing, DTC error P0301 comes up. Just googled it, engine misfire/timing code. Called dealership, guy on other end is clueless, can't get me in until Thursday. It it dangrous to drive it around? I'm thinking not, how bad could an engine misfire be, right? I'm thinking all that will happen is shitty mileage and shitty power. But, then again, I registered in 2013.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:00:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Run it till she blows!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:00:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Run it till she blows!
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:00:54 AM EDT
[#3]
You will be fine. How many miles? Ever changed the plugs?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:01:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Gets really exciting when the misfire occurs late in the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:01:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Original plugs, just a tad under 100k.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:03:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree. I would be checking for any obvious ignition problem i.e. plug wires and plugs.

ETA: change your plugs
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:04:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Egads man!  

I never let my plugs go more than a couple years, maybe 3 at most.  Used to do them every year when I was only driving 1 vehicle.

Plugs or coils, if it was a crank or cam sensor, it'd be pretty non-functional.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:04:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Is it back-firing? IE; loud BANG! occasionally, or just sputtering and spitting?

I'm not sure if that's a thing anymore or not, but detonation with either valve open, ( intake or exhaust ) can cause other issues.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:06:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Is it back-firing? IE; loud BANG! occasionally, or just sputtering and spitting?

I'm not sure if that's a thing anymore or not, but detonation with either valve open, ( intake or exhaust ) can cause other issues.

View Quote

Just sputtering. It's like it doesn't get enough gas from 0 to around 1500-2000 RPMs. Over 2000 RPM, it runs fine.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:06:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Run it till she blows!
View Quote

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:08:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Engine misfires are fine until you have to replace the cat or the car burns down because the cat got too hot and burnt up.

Seriously, get it looked at and quit driving it, before you break something even more expensive. And next time, don't buy a Chrysler product.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:09:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Engine misfires are fine until you have to replace the cat or the car burns down because the cat got too hot and burnt up.

Seriously, get it looked at and quit driving it, before you break something even more expensive. And next time, don't buy a Chrysler product.
View Quote

At least I didn't buy a fourth Land Rover like I almost did
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:10:15 AM EDT
[#13]
no, don't drive it get it fixed, the catalytic converter is going to load up with unburned fuel and become damaged, your bad coil or spark plug could get a LOT more expensive.

Quoted:
Gets really exciting when the misfire occurs late in the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke.
View Quote

wat?

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Theres an explosion occurring inside your engine at the wrong time.  What could go wrong ?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:11:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Mr sparky igniting mr fuel air mixture at the wrong time makes Senor engine very sad. Seriously ignition timing is nothing to f with get it fixed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:15:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Not unsafe.  Misfires are common.  Clear the code and drive it.  If it comes back immediately then change the obvious items- plugs, wires, ignition coil.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not unsafe.  Misfires are common.  Clear the code and drive it.  If it comes back immediately then change the obvious items- plugs, wires, ignition coil.

View Quote

At last, somebody telling me what I wanted to hear. Going to fix it, they just can't do it until Thursday. Live 12 miles from town, so it's kind of a long walk to not drive it until then.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:18:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Engine misfires are fine until you have to replace the cat or the car burns down because the cat got too hot and burnt up[/img]
View Quote

Came here to post this. The raw fuel from the misfiring cylinder is heating up your catalytic converter. Those aren't cheap.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:19:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Find an independent mechanic and get it looked at today. Sounds like plug(s.) The dealer will screw you over six ways from Sunday.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:27:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Came here to post this. The raw fuel from the misfiring cylinder is heating up your catalytic converter. Those aren't cheap.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Engine misfires are fine until you have to replace the cat or the car burns down because the cat got too hot and burnt up[/url]

Cat delete... No inspections here! Heh

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:30:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Replace plugs and wires.

I prefer Bosch platinum +4 plugs.

Magnicore wires.

Then disconnect battery for 30 mins and try again (or reset codes with code puller).
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:31:23 AM EDT
[#22]
plugs

wires

rotor

dist cap

will be about $75 total and 45 minutes of your time

ETA: Also run a can of seafoam through it BEFORE you change your plugs. IT may smoke like a bitch for a few miles but that shit does wonders on old built up carbon.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:32:46 AM EDT
[#23]
My jeep did the same thing. Was the wires shorting. When it's dark, lift the hood with it running. Do you see a spark from the wire grounding to the engine?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:34:08 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Egads man!  

I never let my plugs go more than a couple years, maybe 3 at most.  Used to do them every year when I was only driving 1 vehicle.

View Quote
Plugs are good to go for 100K on most new cars, same for wires. So you put 100K a year on your car...that's some driving.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Plugs are good to go for 100K on most new cars, same for wires. So you put 100K a year on your car...that's some driving.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Egads man!  

Well, it IS a Jeep. My sister-in-law had a Commander that just went dead- EMP style- twice while she was driving it. Once on the highway. Screw that.

PikeSlayer, love your silver thread but a Chrysler product? C'mon...
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:43:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Most likely be ok for a couple days.

On the other hand timing has the ability to completely wreck an engine, too. Like if your belt slips or breaks and you put a valve through a piston.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:44:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Well, it IS a Jeep. My sister-in-law had a Commander that just went dead- EMP style- twice while she was driving it. Once on the highway. Screw that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Egads man!  

Red combined with Jeep = crank position sensor most likely.  I have one to replace right now, as a matter of fact.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:47:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
plugs

wires

rotor

dist cap

will be about $75 total and 45 minutes of your time

ETA: Also run a can of seafoam through it BEFORE you change your plugs. IT may smoke like a bitch for a few miles but that shit does wonders on old built up carbon.
View Quote

Can you show me where the cap and rotor are on any engine made in the last 5 years?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:47:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My 2010 Jeep Commander has been running rough lately. Knew I needed to take it in, but didn't. This morning, check engine light came on. Not the flashing one of death, just solid. Pulled over, did key on/off thing, DTC error P0301 comes up. Just googled it, engine misfire/timing code. Called dealership, guy on other end is clueless, can't get me in until Thursday. It it dangrous to drive it around? I'm thinking not, how bad could an engine misfire be, right? I'm thinking all that will happen is shitty mileage and shitty power. But, then again, I registered in 2013.
View Quote

Troubleshooting vehicles isn't that hard a lot of times.  Aren't Jeeps notorious for bad camshaft timing sensors?  No other codes to help pinpoint your problem?  I would start with a basic tune up and go from there.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:48:16 AM EDT
[#30]
My check engine light came on about 6 years ago, figure on fixing it when I get a round to it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:48:29 AM EDT
[#31]
You probably need new spark plugs.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Timing belt?

Wife had her timing belt go out in her Chrysler product. Luckily, it decided to go out as soon as she parked her car at the apartment. Wouldn't turn over after that. Got it towed to a dealership and $900 later, it was working again.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:58:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ever changed the plug wires?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:00:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Go get a rental and get it fixed. Same thing happened to the 2005 TrailBlazer my mom had.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Egads man!  

View Quote

Depends on plugs.  Lots of newer cars have platinum/iridium 100k plugs.  And yes they do last that long.  Regular old time copper or whatever plugs yes by all means change them often.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#36]
I've been driving my ford ranger for the last 60,000 miles that way.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:11:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Just sputtering. It's like it doesn't get enough gas from 0 to around 1500-2000 RPMs. Over 2000 RPM, it runs fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pop quiz hotshot, there's a misfire in your Jeep.  Once the Jeep goes above 2k rpm the engine is armed.  If the Jeep drops below 2k rpm, the Jeep blows up.  What do you do?  What do you do?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it kind of jerky if you accelerate fast under 30-40 mph?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Wash the engine
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Could also be a bad resistor pack.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Ever change the fuel filter ? Seriously.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:25:46 AM EDT
[#42]
My '97 civic was throwing a misfire code when the headgasket failed.

Does the oil look like chocolate milk?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My '97 civic was throwing a misfire code when the headgasket failed.

Does the oil look like chocolate milk?
View Quote

Oil is fine, not jerky at all. It just acts like I'm not giving it enough gas up to 2,000 RPM. It sputters/wheezes. Going in Thursday at 8:00. I have to pick the kids up from school- no bus service today, so I don't have any choice but to drive it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:36:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Egads man!  

View Quote

How many miles are you driving in a year? Changing them that often is a waste of time and money.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:38:09 AM EDT
[#45]
OP if it ends up being a coil you can likely replace all of them yourself for what a dealer will charge to troubleshoot and replace one.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:47:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Right here.   Misfires will melt cats and cats are 'spensive.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#47]
PO301= cylinder 1 misfire.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Check your plugs and cables?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:20:36 PM EDT
[#49]
My bud has a Camry that was doing this. Turns out he had a bad coil pack that was preventing the plug from firing and just blowing unburned fuel out the tail pipe. Took about five minutes to swap it out.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROFL.

Cap, rotor, plugs, wires...it's time.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top