Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2008 10:25:11 AM EDT
Garmin seems to be the choice.  Any recommendations, advice, comments.

Note: it might be used for one cross country trip a year or so and that's pretty much it.  Money is tight.

Is wide worth the extra money?  I'm thinking yes.

Nuvi 200W and 205W have regional maps.  What does this mean?  Will a 200 or 205 work OK for cross country and find stuff in NYC, DC, San Diego, LA, SF, etc?  Will they tell you how far to gas, Pilot Truck stops, TA's, ect?  I won't be paying money for extra map stuff when that money can be used better at the gunshow.

To get one that tells you "turn on 'Elm street' in 500 ft", finds gas, and has greater than regional maps a Nuvi 225W is needed, even a Nuvi 260W doesn't have all three.

Don't know what Bluetooth is or use an MP3 so I guess we don't need em.

Thanks

Edit:  Got a nuvi 200W at Cabelas for $170 yesterday and it is pretty amazing.

Internal maps are of the lower 48 states, Puerto Rico and Hawaii but not Canada and Alaska.  It announces turns with the distance but displays the name of the street to turn on in text at the top of the display and it's easy to read.  You can ask it for the locations of things like Walmart, Sams, Costco, Pilot truck stops, TA, etc and it will tell you where they are even out in front of you.  It tells you the best routing through or around the large cities your trip passes through.  You can enter GPS coordinates of a target, like a cashe or view your present GPS coords.  It also has a really good odometer function with rolling averages, overall averages and the like.  You can change your trip plan by adding one waypoint into the trip.  In this case it planned to bypass Nashville but I like to stay on the Interstates so I can just input Nashville as a waypoint and it will route me through it.  All things considered this inexpensive GPS is a great toy and tool.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:32:23 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=700617

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=713997

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=707310
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:51:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree with Troy.

Go with Garmin NUVI 350 or higher.

I've been using a 350 for about a year now. I love it.

Any newer version should be even better...
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I just bought a Nuvi 200 the day before yesterday. I didn't need anything fancy, just a simple GPS....
It works fine so far. It doesn't announce street names, just says 'turn left in xx ft' and the unit itself displays the names of the streets comming up. It does have POI's built in and I can store locations. It also tells me how fast I am going, how long I've been driving and what not.
If I were a heavier user then I would have bought a much more expensive unit with alot more features (like test to speech and bluetooth) but since its only going to be used now and again the 170 bucks was worth it (circuit city has refurb ones for 120 bucks online)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top