Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2006 10:34:10 AM EDT
Well I'm sitting on the computer last night ARFCOMing away when my girlfriend comes up to me and shows me something that we got in the mail from a car dealership in Gallipolis, OH (about forty miles away.) It's called Norris Northup Dodge. It's a scratch and win deal, if you scratch and the 6 or 7 digit code matches the other you win one of the five prizes.

Well our's matches and prizes include:

1. $10,000
2. Sony Plasma TV
3. Some type of big boat
4. $250 Nascar something or other
5. $100 cash

Well my girlfriend calls them this morning asks them about the offer and any other red tape/fine print/stipulations there are, he claims there are none.

Well I call them later today and ask the same question, he says there are none but they'll try to sell you a car while you're here. I'd gladly take 10-15 minutes of repeating "I'm not interested.... i'm not interested.... *head nod*" rinse and repeat for, at minimum,  $50 bucks a piece for me and my girlfriend, an adventure in life.  

So ARFCOMers bestow some of this famous wisdom upon me, what's the catch?

40 miles each way, 80 miles total, my girlfriends VW Beetle gets about 25-27 MPG I think so it's definitely cost effective....
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Well I'm sitting on the computer last night ARFCOMing away when my girlfriend comes up to me and shows me something that we got in the mail from a car dealership in Gallipolis, OH (about forty miles away.) It's called Norris Northup Dodge. It's a scratch and win deal, if you scratch and the 6 or 7 digit code matches the other you win one of the five prizes.

Well our's matches and prizes include:

1. $10,000
2. Sony Plasma TV
3. Some type of big boat
4. $250 Nascar something or other
5. $100 cash

Well my girlfriend calls them this morning asks them about the offer and any other red tape/fine print/stipulations there are, he claims there are none.

Well I call them later today and ask the same question, he says there are none but they'll try to sell you a car while you're here. I'd gladly take 10-15 minutes of repeating "I'm not interested.... i'm not interested.... *head nod*" rinse and repeat for, at minimum,  $50 bucks a piece for me and my girlfriend, an adventure in life.  

So ARFCOMers bestow some of this famous wisdom upon me, what's the catch?

40 miles each way, 80 miles total, my girlfriends VW Beetle gets about 25-27 MPG I think so it's definitely cost effective....

The catch is, it attracts people looking for something for nothing, and they get to practice their techniques on enough people that some will buy. Just remember, the dollar bill on the ground is attached by fishing line...
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#2]
The catch is that they will get you into the store. Most people who are dumb enough to think that they're really getting something for nothing are also dumb enough to pay $560/mont for 5 years for a 3-year-old Hyundai. Not saying that's you, just a casual observation.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 10:40:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
-snip-.

The catch is, it attracts people looking for something for nothing, and they get to practice their techniques on enough people that some will buy. Just remember, the dollar bill on the ground is attached by fishing line...

What lb test line?

Any success stories?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Not saying that's you, just a casual observation.

Now that's some funny shit right there.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#5]
$100 to get you in the door. We used to get that offer all the time from the Time Share people back when they were the 'Big thing'. The wife and I would go to as many as we could for the sport of it. Got alot of stuff over the years from them. Had alot of fun screwing with the 'Sales people'.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 10:55:27 AM EDT
[#6]
$20 says it's the $10,000 dollars...
..towards a car that has been overpriced by at least that much.

I'm not kidding, I've seen this before.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:01:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I received a scratch and win thing from a local dealership once. I won a $1000 “shopping spree” I went in and listened to them about how they wanted to sell me a car and all of this crap but all I wanted was my shopping spree thingie. It was all a sham. The “shopping” spree is really some sort of online shopping mall thing. They charge you a shipping and processing fee for every item you want. All of the stuff on there was overpriced junk. It was a complete waste of my time, but then again, I was a waste of their’s.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:08:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I got a offer in the mail from Ford. The deal was go to a dealership test drive a car, get the card signed by the sales mgr and Ford would send me a $75.00 debit card to be used for anything that I wanted. I was skeptical but I thought I would give it a try. So, went to my local dealer who is pretty good in my opinion, that is not high pressure. The sales guy says 'look I'm not gonna make you drive a car if you just want the card signed no problem, just think of me when you get ready to buy'. Ok by me, got the card signed and a few weeks later got the debit card in the mail. Blew me away, $75.00 for 15  min of my time. Gave the card to my teenager to use for gas.
Now I gotta urge to buy a 'stang convertable.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#9]
My sister did something like that, except she was one of 6 people picked to grab a key and see if it fit in the car and whoever got the right key, won the car.

My dad ended up bringing back like 7 insulated coffee mug things and whatnot and I think my sister won a runnerup prize but I dont remember..
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Well we're going to go along with one of my friends, it will probably be an exercise in futility and a display of naviete but fun should be had by all.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 9:05:01 PM EDT
[#11]
It is a gimmic just to get bodys in the door!!!

Well I have been working at new car dealers from 84 untill two months ago , in the parts department and i'm too honest to make a good car salesman , and my advice is DO NOT BELIEVE 99% of what they promise you. And get everything in writing.

99% of car salesmen will tell you anything to make the sale , 1% will be somewhat trustworthy.

Car salesmen are there to make as much money off of you as possible.

Oh the stories I could tell.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I received a scratch and win thing from a local dealership once. I won a $1000 “shopping spree” I went in and listened to them about how they wanted to sell me a car and all of this crap but all I wanted was my shopping spree thingie. It was all a sham. The “shopping” spree is really some sort of online shopping mall thing. They charge you a shipping and processing fee for every item you want. All of the stuff on there was overpriced junk. It was a complete waste of my time, but then again, I was a waste of their’s.

My mother in law dragged me and the wife to this same type of deal.  Not worth the trip.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 9:25:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't mind the hijack...

Give us a a few....

Yeah we left pretty disappointed.

Salesman: "Let's see what you've won"

*looks at this wall poster thing, heads to the counter picks up a certificate*

Explains that I've "won" a $250 NASCAR certificate... blah blah...

Well we let him know we're not interested in a car I tell him my girlfriend is still paying on hers and so am I (lie.)

He weakly tries to lure me in with the idea to trade in my car on a new one.

I let him know I'm not interested and walk out the door.

Well the Nascar thing isn't even an official NASCAR entity. It's some third party, which charges you a five dollar per purchase processing fee from your credit card not certificate and you have to pay shipping on every item which much to my surprise wasn't too bad, but still a ripoff.

As many have said, nothing in life is free.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I went to one of the time share deals once, since it wasn't too far from where I was going squirrel hunting that day. The lure was that you'd get either a TV or a boat after riding through the place while they do their sales pitch. It was very hard-sell, even to the point of CB radios that someone would say "Lot X just sold!" and the guy would slide to a stop (on the gravel road) and say "They're going fast, and I'm telling you you'd better lock in on one of these lots right now!" I just played it cool and kept saying I didn't want one and couldn't afford one.
  We got back to the office and he took me into this little room and gives it one last try, and I just shrug and say no. He reads the numbers on my flyer and says I've won the boat. I start getting kind of excited, and start looking out the window to see if I can spot a boat on a trailer out there. Then the dude says "Wait here, and I'll go get your boat". He comes back in with a package not much bigger than a three ring binder, that contains this little blow-up boat. I hadn't thought of that.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 10:00:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Local Dodge dealership where I bought my truck 3 years ago just ran the same thing.  Worst case was I drove 2 miles and wasted their time, and walked away with something.  Best case, I won a new truck.

Well, I lost 10 minutes of my life and got a nice insulated golf bag beer cooler free.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top