Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2001 10:13:48 PM EDT
Does anyone out there know if the 68 Mustange has a smog pump on it???  My engine is bad and I am plainning to replace it with a 351.  Though I need to know if it has the pump on it.

Thanks
[sniper]
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 10:25:02 PM EDT
[#1]
What motor does it have now? A 289?
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 10:39:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd think you'd be just fine dropping a 351 into it with or without any smog control devices on it, the smog laws didn't start to get bad until around 1973-74 if I'm remembering correct.

Ca. doesn't even require cars made before 1974 to be smogged any longer, you could slap any old polluting gas burner you wanted into a 68 stang here in Ca.

I'd imagine Nevada would be even more open minded especially with a car that old.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 11:29:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Ca. doesn't even require cars made before 1974 to be smogged any longer, you could slap any old polluting gas burner you wanted into a 68 stang here in Ca.
View Quote

Yeah I agree, why add the extra weight. I am pretty sure they did come with a smog pump.  I know the 69s had them

Link Posted: 6/25/2001 11:55:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
emission control devices were not required by law until 1973.

the only emission style items I recall on a motor that old would be a pcv value & a carbon canister the extra fuel(overflow) would flow threw on it way back to the tank

come on Muscle Car / Gear Heads anything else we're missing?
View Quote

I don't know much about Fords, but my 1967 GTO had a smog pump as factory original equipment. Maybe it was just a CA requirement, but if original smog gear is required in your state, it could run into some big bucks.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 12:03:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By operator error:
Quoted:
emission control devices were not required by law until 1973.

the only emission style items I recall on a motor that old would be a pcv value & a carbon canister the extra fuel(overflow) would flow threw on it way back to the tank

come on Muscle Car / Gear Heads anything else we're missing?
View Quote

I don't know much about Fords, but my 1967 GTO had a smog pump as factory original equipment. Maybe it was just a CA requirement, but if original smog gear is required in your state, it could run into some big bucks.
View Quote

Just read over my old service manuals and all california cars & manual transmission cars were equipped with a smog-pump.
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 12:10:24 AM EDT
[#6]
heres a list of the 4 major emissions sections for cars up tp 1972

positive crankcase ventilation system (pcv)

transmission controlled vacuum spark advance(tcs)

controlled combustion system(ccs)

air injection reactor(air)
Link Posted: 6/26/2001 9:05:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey thanks guys.  This helps.  Atleast I know I gonna have to spend more than I wanted.  O well it will be a great car when I am done.

Thanks Again
[sniper]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top