Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2009 4:13:40 PM EDT
I've made the case somewhere else, but it's more appropriate here.

Yes, yes. The oft looked upon antagonist Capt. Rhodes. But after giving this movie another viewing, I came to the realization that while certainly not a people person, Capt. Rhodes was just doing what he felt was best for his men.

He was given an absurd situation, exasperated by the fact the so-called science team was doing nothing but getting his men killed. In light of this, instead of even trying to work with Rhodes, the science team (and the pilot/radioman) instead engaged in a multi-tiered mutiny to seize necessary equipment and abandon the soldiers in a tomb.

First off, I agree. Rhodes was a prick. But by the time it came down to brass-tax, he was facing what amounted to a rebellion of support staff. Rhodes wanted to leave the base early on in his taking command. He didn't say he was going to leave the science team behind, only that due to the recent complications that it was time to abandon the mission (as nothing had been accomplished anyway.)

Ironically, this is precisely what the "protagonist" and her crew were planning on doing only their plan included leaving the soldiers behind. When Rhodes fired shots in anger (at Logan feeding his men to zombies, and then at the other doctor) both of these were simply desperate acts of a commanding officer faced with the situation the so-called protagonist put him in.

Granted, Rhodes became barbaric, but only AFTER the situation realized itself.

If anything, I'd say you could make the case that Logan and crew were the antagonists. They simply had a nicer smile painted on and more screen time.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:04:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Logan's Run?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:52:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Day of the Dead.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:38:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Your interpretation of Rhodes seems pretty solid to me. The real problem was the soldiers were a bunch of undisciplined idiot. The science staff was civilian, not military, which was a bigger problem. They thought they were outside of Rhodes's chain of command. Therefore that caused a fracturing of the mission and personel worked against each other not as a team. They became Zombie food.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:44:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Your interpretation of Rhodes seems pretty solid to me. The real problem was the soldiers were a bunch of undisciplined idiot. The science staff was civilian, not military, which was a bigger problem. They thought they were outside of Rhodes's chain of command. Therefore that caused a fracturing of the mission and personel worked against each other not as a team. They became Zombie food.

You're right, the science team was civilian. Rhodes accepted that, and even told them "Stay here and rot if you want, but me and my men are leaving." when the scientists gave him guff about abandoning the base. So, Rhodes generously said "ok, I'll give you more time to put together something to convince me. But I'm not saying how much time."

Instead, they chose to ignore Rhodes.

The men were probably undisciplined from the situation, too.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:00:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Rhodes was in a situation that he could not win.  He had two problems,other than the impending doom that awaited them. The first was his lack of true leadership.  The men who were already somewhat unruly only became more so after the death of the previous leader, and without the ability to inspire his men they only sank further into chaos.  Secondly there was only one woman and she did not seem to be open to the idea of sleeping with every guy in the facility.  My .02.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top