Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 1/20/2008 3:48:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/20/2008 3:52:46 AM EST by 1badf350]
Could the media get any dumber?
Comments here are funny. Feel free to join.

Click here for commentswww.topix.net/forum/source/wusa/TJHC33JG295QUNL61

Story below

WASHINGTON, DC (WUSA) -- A suspicious witness may have headed off a real tragedy on Capitol Hill. Police sources tell 9NEWS NOW Michael Gorbey approached her near Union Station and asked for directions to the Supreme Court. He said he had a two o'clock appointment with Chief Justice John Roberts.

The woman thought the man was acting so strangely, she called police and asked them to check him out.Advertisement

When police spotted Michael Gorbey, they say he was openly carrying a shotgun loaded with at least three rounds. Two officers ordered him to stop, wrestled him to the ground, and found far more than just the shotgun.

They say he was wearing a military style bullet resistant jacket, had a samurai sword strapped behind his back, a tactical bow and arrow in a backpack, possible black powder, and many more rounds for the shotgun.

Inside his truck, more trouble. Something that looked like an improvised explosive device with wires in the back, some crossbows, and more wires and possible black powder sprouting from the glove compartment.

Police officers closed down the area for blocks around the Capitol and Union Station and sent in a robot to disrupt the device.

After it was rendered safe, police sources say they went through the truck and found no actual explosives.

Some police officers thought Gorbey might have been headed to the Capitol, because they have been on the lookout for a man who had threatened to kill hundreds of Capitol Police officers.

But at this point, it looks like he was headed to the Supreme Court.

Police say Gorbey, 38, was arrested and is being charged with "Felon in Possession of a Firearm," and other charges are pending.

Gorbey's last known address is in Beaverdam, Virginia, which is between Spotsylvania and Richmond.

But he's lived in a lot of places and had a number of aliases. Sources say he has a long record of arrest for thefts and for drugs. But nothing like terrorism.

A Supreme Court spokeswoman referred questions to Capitol Police, but says the high court has its own police force, and that Justices can have their own security details.

Written by Bruce Leshan
9NEWS NOW
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 3:53:28 AM EST
Hahahahahah!

What the hell is a "Tactical" bow and arrow?

Someone ought to photoshop a "Tactical bow and arrow dude" into that Mexican police pic where that guy is holding two pistols.

That would be funny, but I suck at teh photoshop.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 3:53:38 AM EST
Edited to add the discussion link. Some pretty funny stuff.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 3:55:56 AM EST
if you're at Union Station and can't find the Supreme Court, you deserve to be executed on the spot.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:09:09 AM EST
Good thing he left his Assault Slingshot with the barrel shroud at home. He would have really been in deep shit!
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:24:36 AM EST
Rumor has it that the bow in question was fitted with "a shoulder thing that goes up", making it super tactical.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:26:03 AM EST
It had newcuooolar kid-seeking bolts!
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:30:09 AM EST
He who controls the media.....
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:32:37 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:34:22 AM EST
"Inside his truck, more trouble. Something that looked like an improvised explosive device with wires in the back, some crossbows, and more wires and possible black powder sprouting from the glove compartment."

ZOMGWTFBBQ how does powder sprout?????
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:48:18 AM EST
I like how they keep making a big deal outr of the fact he had some 45 ACP rounds with him.(but no 45!)
But on second thought, I recall as a kid when my brother threw some 38 Specials at me that he plucked out of our dad's gunbelt, they HURT LIKE HELL!

And he coulda put my eye out!
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:53:25 AM EST
Now everybody will be wanting one! If you want to increase sales on something, just print "TACTICAL" on it somewhere!
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:57:40 AM EST

Originally Posted By usp45c:
"Inside his truck, more trouble. Something that looked like an improvised explosive device with wires in the back, some crossbows, and more wires and possible black powder sprouting from the glove compartment."

ZOMGWTFBBQ how does powder sprout?????

It's aliiiiiiiiive!
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:11:01 AM EST
height=8
Originally Posted By resq2106:
Now everybody will be wanting one! If you want to increase sales on something, just print "TACTICAL" on it somewhere! Don't laugh, this is what people get when they start putting random 'badass' words in to product advertisements. Stuff like 'tactical' shotgun and 'tactical' vest and 'tactical' foregrip. The media picks up on it and uses it because they think it's relevant and informed.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:16:16 AM EST
Next thing you know, the media will start calling the male genitalia of rapist a "tactical penis". WTF is wrong with people? Is America really getting that dum?

<­BR>

Gotcha--I know, it is spelled dumb, but I made you look.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:16:50 AM EST
Did he mount a flash arrestor on the bow, or did he put one of them on each of the arrows?

In either case, the bayonet lug on his bow was the giveaway for sure.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:29:30 AM EST
Tactical means it was painted black, flat black maybe.

Or maybe it had a laser sighting system installed.

Or maybe it was camo...

Inside his truck, more trouble. Something that looked like an improvised explosive device with wires in the back, some crossbows, and more wires and possible black powder sprouting from the glove compartment.

You all have missed the real danger. After all just imagine what he could have done with more wire....
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:44:03 AM EST
This is why I don't even believe half of the stories that are running.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:45:13 AM EST
The media never would have had the chance to blow things out of proportion if this guy didn't walk around a city where firearms are illegal openly carrying a loaded shotgun asking where the supreme court is because he had an appointment with the Chief Justice. I think lots of people want to blame the media on this one but it definitely takes two to tango. I mean c'mon... a sword? WTF was this dude thinking?

Don't misread this. I'm not saying that I think that this news artical is objectice, and I'm not saying that the DC gun ban is a good idea (or even remotely constitutional IMO). What I am saying is that sometimes, folks don't need any help from a reporter to look completely stupid.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:46:54 AM EST
Fuck me to tears that story is funny
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 6:10:35 AM EST
God thing he didn't have a tactical farm tractor, or there might have been a three day standoff.

(A couple years ago some nut drove a John Deere into the Reflecting Pool in DC and claimed he had a bomb. That resulted in a 3 day standoff that really f'ed up traffic)
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 6:26:05 AM EST
I smell anti-gun conspiracy. This guy was probably a goon of Sarah Brady herself.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 6:36:08 AM EST
Anybody comment in this topix.net discussion besides me?
Some pretty funny stuff.
www.topix.net/forum/source/wusa/TJHC33JG295QUNL61

Note: when you post in topix your post will disappear then re-appear later. Don't assume your post was deleted and don't keep reposting. It will show up.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 6:40:20 AM EST
I have a Tactical Custom Spitwad Straw,,,wheres my Warrant for Arrest
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 6:50:23 AM EST
Somebody's been watching too much of the second Rambo movie...

Link Posted: 1/20/2008 6:53:28 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/20/2008 7:01:45 AM EST by PeteCO]

Originally Posted By boarslayer15:

Semi-automatic, with a shoulder thing that goes up.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 9:37:32 AM EST

Originally Posted By PeteCO:

Originally Posted By boarslayer15:

Semi-automatic, with a shoulder thing that goes up.

You mean a barrel shroud?
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 2:52:55 PM EST
Maybe he had those explosive tips from Rambo II?
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 3:07:14 PM EST
RAMBOW

Link Posted: 1/20/2008 3:09:02 PM EST
http://www.archeryhistory.com/compounds/pics/80/rambo.jpg

Link Posted: 1/20/2008 3:10:27 PM EST
Okay, the guy who in the previous thread said the tactical vest (you know, the one with the pockets and shit) would be blown out of proportion by the media as a "military-style bulletproof vest" wins the pool. Everybody, pay up.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 2:33:53 AM EST
Did he have tactical underwear on too?
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:25:08 AM EST

Anonymous of Norway
Ellicott City, MD Reply »
|Report Abuse |#99 Friday Jan 18

fixed:

WASHINGTON, DC (WUSA)-- 9NEWS NOW's Bruce Leshan has learned from Capitol Police sources that they have arrested a tactical man.

The man was tactically walking down 1st St NE with a tactical vest, a tactical loaded shotgun, a tactical bow and tactical arrow and a tactical samurai sword in a tactical case behind his tactical back.

His tactical Chevy with tactical Utah license plates came up positive for tactical explosive traces when the tactical dogs sniffed it. There are more tactical weapons in the tactical car.

I lol'd
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:33:32 AM EST

Originally Posted By RaptorRage:

Anonymous of Norway
Ellicott City, MD Reply »
|Report Abuse |#99 Friday Jan 18

fixed:

WASHINGTON, DC (WUSA)-- 9NEWS NOW's Bruce Leshan has learned from Capitol Police sources that they have arrested a tactical man.

The man was tactically walking down 1st St NE with a tactical vest, a tactical loaded shotgun, a tactical bow and tactical arrow and a tactical samurai sword in a tactical case behind his tactical back.

His tactical Chevy with tactical Utah license plates came up positive for tactical explosive traces when the tactical dogs sniffed it. There are more tactical weapons in the tactical car.

I lol'd

The truck was painted tactical green.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:40:56 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:52:00 AM EST
Holy danger Batman! That was crazy.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:53:34 AM EST
Isn't that what Rambo uses?

(I believe Sarah Brady asked him to stop using guns because they are so icky.)
Top Top