Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2003 6:29:36 PM EDT

Short version here please. Can anyone explain to me why a person has to pay a capital gains tax on agricultural land that is inherited?

If I understood the lawyer correctly the gains will be calculated from the time the land wad inherited by the party currently owning the land, and the tax is to be paid by the kids inheriting. Anyone care to explain, or tell me if I am wrong.... fullclip
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends on who owns it now, who owned it originally, how long each has owned it, if any of them lived on it and so on.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:03:09 PM EDT
[#2]

I'll give it a try. It is a family farm, owned by my wifes mother(inherited) for 25 years, bought by her parents in 1946. Owned and operated by family, both owners lived there until retirement...

Also, I thought agricultural land was exempt from capital gains. am I wrong??? .. fullclip
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Try [url]clarkhoward.com[/url]? Consumer warrior.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top