Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 5/26/2008 4:53:03 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/26/2008 7:18:45 PM EST by niceguymr]
And when I say budget, I mean CHEAP. I know this will be hard for some of the enthusiasts out there, but please try and work with me.

I'm going to Las Vegas with the wife and will also be taking a same day road trip out to the Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon to take in the scenery.

I’m looking to possibly purchase a new lens for my Canon XTi to go along with my lonely 18-55 F3.5-5.6 IS. I’m considering the plastic fantastic 50mm 1.8 for some cool night time shots on the Vegas Strip and the 75-300 4-5.6 or the 28-105 3.5-4.5 for some of the more scenic shots on the road and at the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam. All told I could have both the 50 and one of the zooms for under $300 which is where I’d like to be pricewise.

In consideration of my existing lens and my price range, would you suggest another combination of lenses, or maybe even forgoing the two lens option for a single lens option? I’ve kind of always been wanting to get the 50 1.8 and I really don’t want to spend much money at this time on a high quality zoom as I’m still just a beginner and haven’t really been bitten by the bug to hard yet.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 2:15:32 AM EST
I can't really help you with a lens recommendation, but I'll be in Vegas and then Tuscon in two weeks. Same deal, going to see the Hoover Dam, the Canyon, etc. with all my Nikon gear in tow.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 2:42:23 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/27/2008 2:47:27 AM EST by Bladeswitcher]

Originally Posted By niceguymr:
And when I say budget, I mean CHEAP. I know this will be hard for some of the enthusiasts out there, but please try and work with me.

I'm going to Las Vegas with the wife and will also be taking a same day road trip out to the Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon to take in the scenery.

I’m looking to possibly purchase a new lens for my Canon XTi to go along with my lonely 18-55 F3.5-5.6 IS. I’m considering the plastic fantastic 50mm 1.8 for some cool night time shots on the Vegas Strip and the 75-300 4-5.6 or the 28-105 3.5-4.5 for some of the more scenic shots on the road and at the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam. All told I could have both the 50 and one of the zooms for under $300 which is where I’d like to be pricewise.

In consideration of my existing lens and my price range, would you suggest another combination of lenses, or maybe even forgoing the two lens option for a single lens option? I’ve kind of always been wanting to get the 50 1.8 and I really don’t want to spend much money at this time on a high quality zoom as I’m still just a beginner and haven’t really been bitten by the bug to hard yet.

Thanks in advance!

For what you've described, you don't need another lens. You need a tripod. A fast aperture isn't going to allow you to make nice photos on the strip. What are you going to do? Handhold at 1/8 at f 1.8 and expect sharp photos? Why not stick your current lens on a steady tripod, stop down to f 11 or so and get some nice scenics with lots of depth of field and interesting blurs from the car lights? Spend $150 on a GOOD tripod and you can check that purchase off for the rest of your life.

If you decide you want a longer lens, fine. Get one. But don't try to solve the dilemma by coming the two lenses in one. If you're looking for poor image quality and impractical maximum apertures, that's a perfect recipe.

ETA: This is not to say you shouldn't buy the old "normal" lens if you really want one. They're certainly cheap enough. But it's not going to allow you to do what you think it will. With the image area loss of a digital camera, the old 35mm "normal" lens is more like a short telephoto. You may find it useful for shooting portraits or candid stuff indoors but it really won't be a general purpose lens. (Of course, you know that, since you have the same focal length in your zoom range.)
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 3:23:52 AM EST
The 50mm 1.8 is absolutely the best bang out there. EVERY camera enthusiast should have that in their bag. Takes great low light pics for the price.

The 28-105 3.5-4.5 is a good lens for what it is, just understand the limitations of shooting with it indoors.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 4:22:29 AM EST

Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:

Originally Posted By niceguymr:

Thanks in advance!

For what you've described, you don't need another lens. You need a tripod. A fast aperture isn't going to allow you to make nice photos on the strip. What are you going to do? Handhold at 1/8 at f 1.8 and expect sharp photos? Why not stick your current lens on a steady tripod, stop down to f 11 or so and get some nice scenics with lots of depth of field and interesting blurs from the car lights? Spend $150 on a GOOD tripod and you can check that purchase off for the rest of your life.

If you decide you want a longer lens, fine. Get one. But don't try to solve the dilemma by coming the two lenses in one. If you're looking for poor image quality and impractical maximum apertures, that's a perfect recipe.

ETA: This is not to say you shouldn't buy the old "normal" lens if you really want one. They're certainly cheap enough. But it's not going to allow you to do what you think it will. With the image area loss of a digital camera, the old 35mm "normal" lens is more like a short telephoto. You may find it useful for shooting portraits or candid stuff indoors but it really won't be a general purpose lens. (Of course, you know that, since you have the same focal length in your zoom range.)

Thanks for your input. I already have a decent tripod.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 1:28:21 PM EST
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 4:22:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/27/2008 4:24:37 PM EST by sasquatch98]
Save your money on the 75-300 its garbage, go here www.rentglass.com or www.lensrentals.com and rent you a nice L telephoto for the trip. Then save your money for one of your own later.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 9:11:58 PM EST

Originally Posted By sasquatch98:
Save your money on the 75-300 its garbage, go here www.rentglass.com or www.lensrentals.com and rent you a nice L telephoto for the trip. Then save your money for one of your own later.

Yeah, I think you may be right for this trip. Maybe a nice wide angle and a good zoom will do the trick and for under $150 for both I should be fine.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:58:25 PM EST
I'm going to be there in two weeks too! InfoComm '08 for me. Video nerd conference! Also visiting lake Mead/dam. I'm taking my XTi, 18-55 IS 70-200 f4L Monopod, flash etc... No tripod for me. Too much to pack up for an airplane trip in my book. Coworkers are taking their same cameras, but they have the 70-300IS and one of the guys has the 50 1.8 I'm going to snag from him for a few shots to see if I want to spend a whopping $75 on it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:39:36 PM EST
As of right now, I'm in Tucson, Az and I'm heading up to Vegas Thursday. I've already taken a whole bunch of pics, including many from the drive out from Baltimore, as well as a bunch here. Tomorrow we head down to Bisbee and back up via Boot Hill and other interesting places.

Unfortunately, the laptop I'm using that has wireless service here (I brought two, one is my laptop from work which I'm using now) has no way for me to transfer photos from my other PC so I can't upload any pics yet. In Vegas my brother has cable broadband service so I'll be able to use my good laptop online and upload photos. There is no cable service where I am now - way out in the desert outskirts, miles away from any cable.

I'll be wandering around Las Vegas all day Friday, if anyone wants to drink a few beers.... After that it's off to the Canyon and Monument Valley.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:20:39 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:36:20 PM EST
Get a lightweight cheapy tripod....

Or buy one at Fry's when you get here.
Top Top