Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2018 5:45:36 PM EDT
I'm a Canon guy, but the new RF mount lenses are huge. I'm a very large man with the hands to match, and I really don't think I would want to lug these around. I thought my 16-35 F2.8 III was big for the focal length, but holy cow have they taken it to a new level. The camera doesn't look all that great to me spec wise either. I think I'll stick with the DSLRs and slowly graduate up to new bodies about 2 generations behind like I've been doing. I love my 70D and my 5DII The 70D actually passed 100K at a football game on Friday night.

Canon EOS R Full Frame Mirrorless! Hands-on First Look
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:30:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m a canon guy as well. I look at it like this. It is a very good entry camera into full frame mirrorless. That being said I had a lot higher hopes out of this. It’s basically a 5d without the mirror. They have hinted at more systems to come next year but they dropped the ball somewhat on this. I would have liked to have seen around 40mp, 2 card slots and better video even though I’m not a video guy.

As for lens size, that doesn’t really bother me. I would like to see an ef lens next to one of these new ones. They are going to be bigger but when you have a 24-70 f2 that is a lot of glass to fit into a lens so to be expected.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:14:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm a Nikon guy but I'm also a Canon guy, too.  My film cameras are Canon, my DSLRs are Nikon.   (D810 and D800)    I'm not sure what I think about mirrorless cameras but I am absolutely not interested in Sony's cameras or any cameras that are not Nikon or Canon.

The only reason I don't particularly want to get into Canon digital cameras is that making the jump to full frame was expensive enough already.  Adding Canons to my collection with the additional cost of basically duplicating my lens collection in another brand is an expense I can not afford.

I like the fact that Nikon and Canon are so highly competitive with each other.  They push each other to make better equipment and the consumer always wins.

Now I get to wait for Nikon to answer with the release of their first mirrorless full frame camera.  Wonder how long that'll be?
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:32:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only reason I don't particularly want to get into Canon digital cameras is that making the jump to full frame was expensive enough already.  Adding Canons to my collection with the additional cost of basically duplicating my lens collection in another brand is an expense I can not afford.
View Quote
No kidding, a collection of quality lenses makes an expensive body seen downright cheap.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 5:07:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Now I get to wait for Nikon to answer with the release of their first mirrorless full frame camera.  Wonder how long that'll be?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 7:36:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 8:28:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I was hoping the ISO would match the sony A7S2.
Would have been nice with the 85L1.2 and 50L1.2
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm a Nikon guy but I'm also a Canon guy, too.  My film cameras are Canon, my DSLRs are Nikon.   (D810 and D800)    I'm not sure what I think about mirrorless cameras but I am absolutely not interested in Sony's cameras or any cameras that are not Nikon or Canon.

I like the fact that Nikon and Canon are so highly competitive with each other.  They push each other to make better equipment and the consumer always wins.

View Quote
FYI - Nikon announced 2 FF mirrorless bodies already, prior to Canon's announcement.  The Z6 and Z7, new R-mount with a 24-70/4, 35/1.8 and 50/1.8, a lens roadmap for the Z cams including a new Noct - a 58mm f/0.95 lens.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:10:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I think these are solid first-gen cameras from Canon and Nikon, maybe a little too much worry about protecting existing lines.  Other mirrorless brands keep getting better with each generation, and I doubt it'll take long for the two 800lb gorillas to catch up (probably faster than it took the other brands to get where they're at now).  Competition is good.  

One thing I have noticed is the number of people that still seem to think that mirrorless has to mean small.  For example - over in Fuji land, the wailing and gnashing of teeth the last few years caused by the release of f/2.8 constant-aperture zooms, the X-H1, and the new 200/2 is a bit comical to me.  Fuji isn't abandoning the light and compact gear, they're expanding their product catalog to attract other users who might not need or want light and compact everything all the time.  Not a bad thing for the brand or its users IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:24:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
have you watched the prices of lens double in the last decade? thats not winning.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top