Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2004 9:32:12 PM EDT
Getting ready to mail in for my C&R but which forms do I need to send in? I've got two copies of the green 5310.16 forms here, a bunch of fingerprint cards a few 5330.20 forms and a few other odds and ends. The ATF sent me a whole lot of stuff including FFL forms. What forms do I actually have to mail in? How long does it generally take?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:33:03 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC you do not need fingerprints for a C&R license - but you do need that new citizenship form thingy.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:36:04 PM EDT
[#2]
OK so with that citizenship form, it says "NAME of person CERTIFYING to citizenship:" thats me right? This whole form is totally confusing.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:38:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes - you are the person that certifies your citizenship.  You can always call the ATF number and talk to them.  The lady who answered the phone at the Atlanta office was really nice and helpful when I was filing out mine.

The citizenship form is particularly confusing when you're NOT a citizen - but you can still "certify to citizenship" as long as you are a legal resident alien.  How's that for convoluted and confusing?  

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#4]
OK cool I got that part down now, but are those the only two forms I need to mail in?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:47:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm pretty sure that you just need two copies of the application, the citizenship form, and the check (is it still $30 ?).

You also have to remember to send a copy to the Chief Law Enforcement Officer for your county/area.  They're not required to do anything with it (and you might want to make that clear to them) - but you do have to sent them a copy.

You'll probably want to BTT this in the morning, because I'm off to bed - and maybe I remembered something wrong - but I'm pretty sure that's all there is to it.  Like I said - don't be afraid of calling the ATF.  They're really very friendly and helpful (at least on the phone ).
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:49:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the help DK.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:53:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't forget the check, if you don't send the money they'll not send the 03. Also, don't forget to run a copy of the form to your CLEO, he doesn't have to sign of on it or anything, he just needs a copy for his records. Sounds like you're good to go. I've got to renew my 03 next year, hard to believe it's already been almost 3 years, man the time sure does fly by.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:55:28 PM EDT
[#8]
OK Frank now that I've got you on the line, I need to fill out BOTH (it's a two part form, same thing on the second page as the first) of the 5310.16 forms and send them both into the ATF? And just a copy has to go to the CLEO?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:01:20 AM EDT
[#9]
BTT for the morning crew.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:06:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, it has apparently changed from when we filled ours out.
The ATF forms state you need fingerprints now.
Yo have to order the packet from their website, now.
We downloaded ours off the internet and sent them in, back in the good old days.
Send a money order. It is supposed to speed up the process.
Didn't for me (took 4-5 months )
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:12:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
We downloaded ours off the internet and sent them in, back in the good old days.

Whoa - hold the phone!  You need fingerprints now for a C&R ?

I did not know that.  Apologies to Blue84S10 if this is the case, because if that's true, I'm obviously telling him completely BS!  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:16:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whoa - hold the phone!  You need fingerprints now for a C&R ?

I did not know that.  Apologies to Blue84S10 if this is the case, because if that's true, I'm obviously telling him completely BS!  

I had to submit fingerprints-- had to take an afternoon off to get the damn things done..!  

Incidentally, does anything special need to be done if you move?

Mike
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:20:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
OK Frank now that I've got you on the line, I need to fill out BOTH (it's a two part form, same thing on the second page as the first) of the 5310.16 forms and send them both into the ATF? And just a copy has to go to the CLEO?

If I remember right the original or top copy goes to ATF, the second copy goes to the CLEO.  I didn't mean a copy like a copier copy, I ment the second form that you need to fill out.  ATF only needs one 5310.16 the other one goes to the CLEO, did I say that clear enough? I've got a bad habit of saying too much sometimes and messing things up.LOL   Just fill out both the same way, send one off to AFT and drop the other off for the CLEO's files, there, that was pretty clear,LOL.   It'll be interesting to see what I've got to do for my renewel, this'll be the first time for me.  Also, if I remember right, you send it to a place in GA., that's where their processing center is at.  If you do all the paper work right and dot all the "i's" and cross all the "t's" it'll take about 6 weeks to 3 months to get your Type 03 back, then you can make copies(don't sign the original, just the copies) and send them out to all the firearms dealers that you'd like to buy from.  Send one to Brownell's too, you'll get a discount from them for having an FFL.  I sent out about 6 copies even though I've only ordered from one place.  That way you'll get on their lists and get the flyers that they send out.   Good luck. Talk to ya' later.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:27:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Read thru this site...although not current it has a lot of info.

http://www.cruffler.com/
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:31:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I did not have to submit fingerprints a couple of months ago.

They just screwed up and sent the wrong stuff.  They do it all the time.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top