Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2001 5:15:36 PM EDT
I've been trying to create rubber 22LR rounds with a half-charge of powder by pulling the slug from standard velocity 22's, dumping half the powder and replacing the slug with a hand-carved rubber slug (made from pencil eraser).  Problem is, not matter what I try I can't get them to work.  I have little experience (okay, none) in reloading, so I'm not sure what the issue is.  Only about 10 of the 80 of so I tried actually fired correctly.  Most of the time, the rubber ends up stuck in the barrel with several unburnt powder grains stuck to it (and more in the action).  I've tried paper-patching the rubber bullet to get a tighter fit, but the same thing happened.  I also tried shoving a small wad of paper onto the powder before inserting the rubber slug, but that didn't work either.  Finally tried doing both at the same time, still didn't work.  I'm currently at a loss.  Suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:22:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I would think that the rubber is probably too "sticky" to be propelled out of the barrel without a larger charge. You're probably getting your barrel pretty nasty in the process as the rubber is melting off in the barrel once it is propelled out of the case.

Without "bullets" of the exact same weight and shape it's going to be hard to get one correct charge. I doubt you really need to worry too much about overpressure, but it's something you may want to think about.

What are you doing this for anyways? Wouldn't it be easier to use wax for indoor shooting ammo? You wouldn't have to worry about your "bullets" bouncing anywhere either.

Take all of the above with a grain of salt, cause I've got no experience loading up erasers....
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#3]
how nutty- and I thought I had seen everything...
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:27:33 PM EDT
[#5]
just my SWAG (street value of $0.00001):

Gas Leak ? (eraser not making a good seal at case?)
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#8]
[b][red]Before you read anything else the rest of this reply is just ideas which may or may not work. I take NO responsibility nor does this site for you hurting yourself or someone else.  If you do not agree do not read the rest of  my post.  This is not a flame just a C.M.A. statement[/red][/b]

The unburnt powder may be from not enough powder to fill the cases.  I am not really sure what kind of powder is in a 22LR as far as fast burning or slow burning. I agree that the wax sugestion is probably the way to go.  But if this is something you really want to get working I would try CB or 22short to have less air space in the cases, and you will probably need to experiment with some kind of lube on the rubber maybe Waxoil or something. but the kind of rubber your using is probably too soft however anything harder may be more dangerous to shoot indoor than a CB or Aguilla Calbris.

But if your ar trying to just achieve indoor practice I I would lean toward an air rifle or if you want to shoot 22 and have the room to [red]SAFELY[/red] make an indoor range I would do that before chanceing screwing up the bore in one of my 22s.

Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#9]
The rubber used in erasers contains a small amount of abrasive and like the others have said,
is too soft to use as a high speed projectile. It wants to squash out on rapid acceleration. The real rubber bullets are fairly hard and are usually the black stuff. They also have a short range, which means a low powder load of the slow burn stuff, reduces acceleration effects, too. The rubber bullets used in shotguns also have sabots (containers used to transport the goods to the end of the barrel safely and then fly apart), other types may have sabots too, don't know. I hate to rain on your parade, but try them in a slingshot........
P.S. paper doesn't work as a sabot, not stiff enough.
[smash]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Have you considered making bullets out of ice?
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 1:44:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Danger - Please stop what you are doing.

I don't know of a safe way to dissemble .22's.

If you are using an inertia bullet puller (hammer type, for example), remember this is a rimfire cartridge.  The primer is found around the rim.  What part absorbs a lot of shock when you pound the puller?  You guessed it - the rim.

Link Posted: 12/31/2001 6:23:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Danger - Please stop what you are doing.

I don't know of a safe way to dissemble .22's.

If you are using an inertia bullet puller (hammer type, for example), remember this is a rimfire cartridge.  The primer is found around the rim.  What part absorbs a lot of shock when you pound the puller?  You guessed it - the rim.

View Quote

I safely dissassemble .22LR rounds all of the time. I just pull the trigger![sniper]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Getting into my "Way Back Machine" of being young and dumb...

You can pull .22 slugs with just your fingers (a pair of pliers helps if your fingers are weak). Just put the pliers on the SLUG, not the case, and work back and forth. The lead is really soft and deforms easily.

If you just want to make blanks for .22, just pull the slug, stuff some toilet paper in the case and top off with some candle wax. You can mark paper with this (close range of <20 feet).

I tired several alternate slugs, erasers, match tips, match sticks, BB's, basicly anything I thought would fit (sealing with wax). Nothing really worked except for the wax blanks.

I did my experimentation with an old Marlin .22 single shot bolt action in my room (see, I told you I was young and dumb).

Minion82, if you just want to practice indoors, just go get an air gun and a pellet trap. Makes life so much easier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top