Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/9/2004 4:08:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/9/2004 4:09:38 AM EST by passgas55]
I had been looking to get a gallon or less of kerosene and nobody locally has any. What is charcoal lighter fluid made from or any other product that may be mostly kerosene. I made some Ed'sRed but did not have any kerosene. I can remember as a kid that the local hardware store use to sell it from a drum by the gallon. Gone are those days.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:10:20 AM EST
Did you try Wal-Mart?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:12:07 AM EST
Most gas stations have it at a separate pump in back around here.

Some heating places have it , called K1 kerosene

Charcoal lighter fluid is a naphtha I think --- not sure.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:13:23 AM EST
You might try a rental place since some rent kerosene heaters.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:14:25 AM EST
Walmart was out and they did not know when they will get some in. Same with Homedepot and my local hardware stopped carrying it. i guess I will bring a container with me and when I do one of my road trips in a rural area I will stop at the local hardware store.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:20:03 AM EST
Academy Sports and Outdoors carries it in one gallon containers in the camping section.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:21:14 AM EST
Home depot and lowes both sell it in the fall and winter.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:25:51 AM EST
I went through this when I first moved here. Hurricane season was coming up, all of my "survival" kit is standardized to Kerosene, and I found I had moved into a propane-based world.

I then discovered that Ace hardware sold it - thankfully, a month before Ivan left me without power for a week.

Ace Hardware is the only place that sells it here in western Florida. I'm not too far from you (only a 4 hour drive form here to New Orleans) - do you have one nearby?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:28:30 AM EST

Originally Posted By passgas55:
Walmart was out and they did not know when they will get some in. Same with Homedepot and my local hardware stopped carrying it. i guess I will bring a container with me and when I do one of my road trips in a rural area I will stop at the local hardware store.

Your Wal-mart actually carries it? The folks here acted like they didn't know what Kerosene was. Wal-mart's distribution system is among the best - if not the best - in the world. I find it hard to believe that any walmart would run out of somthing and not have it resupplied pronto. Odds are you talked to a complete idiot and that your Wal-mart does not carry it either.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:29:47 AM EST

Originally Posted By cyanide:
Most gas stations have it at a separate pump in back around here.

Some heating places have it , called K1 kerosene

Charcoal lighter fluid is a naphtha I think --- not sure.

You do realize that when you say things like "around here" the FIRST thing anyone does is look to see where you live? "USA" doesn't tell us much.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:52:04 AM EST
quit making meth
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:44:48 AM EST
How much kero you need? Bulk fuel suppliers usually have it in 55 galsteel drums. The company that fills our diesel farm tanks also will drop 55 gal drums to us if asked.

Top Top