Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/14/2005 1:18:02 PM EDT
'What do you think of Paul Martin's promise to ban handguns?'

Prime Minister Paul Martin last week sought to fire up his re-election campaign with a promise to ban handguns if his Liberals are re-elected January 23. Under Martin's proposed ban, only law-enforcement officers and some target shooters would be allowed to own handguns.

Although gun-control measures are often unpopular in this largely rural riding, The Recorder and Times found opinions on Martin's plan divided when it asked six people in downtown Brockville the following question: "What do you think of the prime minister's promise to ban handguns?"

Mac Cameron, Brockville: "I don't think it'll make any difference how much restrictions he's going to make.

"(Criminals are) the ones who are going to have the guns and steal the guns.

"I have a son who's a member of a gun club. Why should he have to give up his guns? ... He's a law-abiding citizen."

Jim Connors, Brockville: "I agree with it, 100 per cent.

"Handguns should be banned ... (They should be) only for police forces."

Harley Eyre, Brockville: "I would support it. Anything that helps ... Gun registry, whatever.

"I don't think it hurts."

Margo Snow, Prescott: "I hope that he can do something like that, because I find it (recent gun violence) disturbing.

"I think it would (help)."

Elske Harris, Brockville: "I think it's a fantastic idea.

"In the States, they don't have the gun control and people get killed all the time."

Cathy Couture, Brockville: "I think it's a good idea, but I don't think it's going to work.

"They're (guns) coming into the country illegally.

"People who are buying them legitimately and going and getting their Firearms Acquisition Certificate, they're not the people that are using their guns for illegal purposes."

Your Turn appears in this space every Monday.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:18:46 PM EDT

"In the States, they don't have the gun control and people get killed all the time."

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:29:27 PM EDT
Can't we just ban stupid people?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:33:53 PM EDT

I was just killed last month and again on Monday. When will the madness stop?
Top Top