Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2002 1:26:16 AM EDT
Some old news;

Fort Benning, Georgia- Four Canadian Forces sniper teams walked away with several top honours-including first and second place-at the US Army Sniper School's first International Sniper Competition.
Corporal Martin Bedard and Cpl Mike Gagnon of 1st Battalion Royal 22nd Regiment, took first place and were followed closely by Master Corporal Carlos Arevalo and MCpl Winston Rattray of 3rd Battalion, The Royal Canadian regiment, in second place. MCpl Mike Gopsill and Cpl Randy Davidson of 1st RCR were a few spots behind in fifth place with Cpl Mike Hallgren and Cpl Devin Ramos of 1st Battalion Princess Patricia's canadian Light Infantry, rounding out the near sweep by taking sixth place. Cpl Gagnon of 1 R22R was awarded the prestigious distinction of being the Top Number Two(spotter).

Fourteen teams representing Canada, the US and the UK took part in the week long competition in december. Events included stalking, navigation, field firing in both urban and rural enviornments, pistol shooting and stress firing.

"I hope to have Canada back next year. They have definitely set the standard, and US teams will have to train hard to catch them," said Captain Mark Trott, Commanding Officer of the hosting unit.

MORE WINS FOR THE CANADIANS

Three Canadian Forces teams did remarkably well at the US Special Forces Sniper competition at Fort Carlson, Colorado, immediately following the Ft Benning competition. Corporals Bedard and Gagnon dominated again and took 1st place. Cpls Ramos and Hallgren were close behind in 3rd place. MCpl Ron Cridland and Cpl Evan Jobe of 2nd Battalion Royal Canadian Regiment took seventh. Nine teams participated, and only 20 points separated fourth and ninth place.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 1:30:43 AM EDT
[#1]
They're getting ready for the revolution.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 8:10:01 AM EDT
[#2]
There you go again. Always rubbing our faces in it.

[<]:)]                          [sniper]
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 8:41:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Good.  We need to be humbled competatively sometimes. It'll just give our guys a goal to strive for next year.

[smoke]                                 [sniper]
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 8:49:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Gee I wonder if Lon Horuichi trained them since he isn't too welcome in the U.S. anymore.

Link Posted: 3/16/2002 11:33:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Tippie must not have been there.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Striker, the liberal government will use this to say that our troops already have enough equipment and pay to do the job and thats why they are doing so good.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 1:04:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm going to make a lame excuse:  The Canadians won because THEIR rifles still have flash hiders, bayonet lugs, and folding or collapsible stocks on them, all of which contribute to accuracy.   Us poor post-ban shooters have a hard time hitting the target at ten feet because of the lack of these critical features.

Write your congressmen!  We can't have the dirty Canucks beating us like that!  

Kidding, of course.  I'm sure Canadians take baths at least as often as Americans, but the water's probably a bit colder on average.

There are only two objections I'd have to moving to Canada:  I don't want to learn to speak French (so avoid Quebec) and I ain't dipping no flag to no queen in a parade!

CJ
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#9]
You may have beaten us in sniping but the newspaper article misspelled the word "honors".  That makes us better spellers!
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 2:07:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You may have beaten us in sniping but the newspaper article misspelled the word "honors".  That makes us better spellers!
View Quote

Yes! But according to worldwide test on education, the US rates lower then some 3rd world countries!
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 2:16:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 2:18:06 PM EDT
[#12]
What is it with Canadians? Always trying to find anything that they are better at then Americans. Is your inferiority complex that bad? I suggest you start looking at what is wrong with your country before it slides into third world status.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 2:24:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 2:27:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Scarecrow

I guess you are right.  With all the minorities, rednecks, illeagal aliens, dumb ass liberals, Hatians etc in this country it is true that we can't spell or shoot.  However, we can still bomb the hell out of you with our B52s if you screw with us too much.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 2:31:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Striker, read on in Scarecrows posts he continues on with his US bashing. Since I have seen this guys posts lately he has a real attitude problem. As far as you go I have always enjoyed your comments.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 2:34:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What is it with Canadians? Always trying to find anything that they are better at then Americans. Is your inferiority complex that bad? I suggest you start looking at what is wrong with your country before it slides into third world status.
View Quote

I hope you're just making a piss-poor attempt at sarcasm, but I doubt it.  Leave it to some asshole to take a good-natured (and well-earned) jab at us Americans, and turn it into a troll.  Nice job.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 2:44:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't want to bash the USA. The whole idea behind this post is to show Canada can actually play in the same league as the USA in some cases like snipering and stalking. And by me saying that the USA has been rated to have lower education standards doesn't make the fact that the USA has the strongest economy and military in the world disappear. Even GW has said that some serious education problems need to be solved, and we all know he isn't bashing the USA. I even changed my signature because some people took it for USA bashing.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 2:49:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't want to bash the USA. The whole idea behind this post is to show Canada can actually play in the same league as the USA in some cases like snipering and stalking. And by me saying that the USA has been rated to have lower education standards doesnt make the fact the USA has the strongest economy and military in the world. Even GW has said that some serious education problems need to be solved, and we all know he isnt bashing the USA. I even changed my signature because some people took it for USA bashing.
View Quote

Calling like it is ain't bashing, Scarecrow.  You couldn't pay me enough to sacrifice my kids to the US public education system/monopoly.  The advantages of our economy has DIRECTLY led to our ability to absorb a large number of uneducated, illiterate do-nothings, with little to no lashback.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Sjsample, I made an observation hardly trolling, and all without calling someone names. Maybe you should go back to school with your kids and get an education. You have a nice day now.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 2:56:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Scarecrow

Everything is cool.  Just some good nature bantering between friends.  I feel secure enough about being an American as not to take offense with the pride being shown by Canadians when they whip our butts in a contest.  Like the officer said, having some first rate shooters like the Canadians ups the bar.  Good for you and good for us.  I was trying to be funny with jabbing at the English spelling of honors.  Didn't mean to start a war on the education system.  

Keep up the good shooting.  Those snipers from Princess Patricia is helping us out in dealing with the real bad guys.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Trolling.  Definitely trolling.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 3:05:34 PM EDT
[#23]
PEOPLE! We are forgetting the more important things in life...

Like [size=5]BEER![/size=5]

[beer]

Common guys relax no fights.
[blue]edited to get the beer smiley working. got one to work..don't know why the others won't.[/blue]
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 3:10:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Dale, I apologize for my use of that particular derotative.  However, as a fellow Michigander (I was forced to move to Indiana, honest), you should know the value of our Canadian brethren as well as I.  I grew up in Detroit, and spend my weekends and summers drunk off my ass in Windsor, and learned all about Gynecology at Studio Four.  And, back in 1979, when they smuggled several our our people out of Iran, I offically stopped referring to them as "those unwashed kanucks."
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yes! But according to worldwide test on education, the US rates lower then some 3rd world countries!
View Quote

Uh, well, the third world countries have moved here... don't worry though, you'll soon be like us.      [:P]
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 12:15:30 AM EDT
[#26]
key words: "ARMY sniper competiton" come play in the rolling VA hills.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 12:40:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Hate to admit it Devil Dog, but you're 100% right. Army marksmanship training sucks, I'm here to tell you. Most of the guys in my Guard BN couldnt hit the broad side of a barn with their individual weapons either. I'm to the point where I've gotten so little time on the rifle range that I'd rathar carry my No1MkIII Lee Enfield into a combat situation as my marksmanship is at least competent with it. Thank God I'm not in the Infantry ^_^. I'd love to have some time with a USMC marksmanship instructor and course though, especially with those DMRs...
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 6:34:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 9:36:46 AM EDT
[#29]
And don't forget that with the $ 89.72 (can) that Canada spends on it's military these soldiers are winning with some older equipment
View Quote

$89.72 US or Canadian? If its US I think its a little high...and be ware of posting pictures of those rifles, you may incur the interest of some spys from up north ^_^ such high tech weaponry.

Its all because of those damn Qubecquois, seriously. Canada would be a pretty cool country if its politics wernt dominated by angry French liberal wanna-bees. It is cool, however, to see how a determined citizenry will resist a government's stupid plan to register firearms and shooters. So far the Canadian government has spent like half the GNP over ten years to register all the guns in Canada and everyone from individual shooters to local governments have told them to stuff it. I've spent some time up north goose hunting in the centeral part of British Columbia and found a very well(but clandestinely) armed citizenry. Even a few black rifles ^_^

As for the Canadian 'military'...damn all hosers! fetch me my matchlock and plug bayonet...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top