Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2002 4:57:13 AM EDT
There is a good article at the Drudge Report about Canadian snipers.  Nice to have neighbors like that.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 5:05:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 5:06:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 5:06:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 5:39:34 AM EDT
[#4]
There's a new rifle/caliber in development - the .408 Chey-Tac.

Although this information is probably six months old, at that time it was the CANADIAN Spec Forces and snipers who were showing the most interest.

(Even without the final bullet and inadequate optics this sniper rifle has shown some remarkable results.)

Edited to add:  As per usual, the Canadian contribution is being under-reported but not under-appreciated !
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 5:45:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Gotta love you wacky Canadians! [beer]
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 5:52:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 6:42:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Its just too bad that our guys had to beg borrow or steal desert Cams because our Federal Government had SOLD all of ours that was used in Somalia!!!

The New CADPAT desert is not due to be ready until the Fall at the earliest!!

Rumour has it the our desert Cam was sold.....IN EARLY SEPTEMBER!!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 7:16:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
5subslr5
A friend of mine who builds sniper rifles [url=http://www.armament.com/]Made in Canada[/url] was in CFB Gagetown when the Forces was trying new rifles and equipment including the 408 Cheyenne. He had a chance to shoot it. According to him although impressive he didn't think Canada would be switching from their .50 rifles anytime soon. At that time (last summer) there was no factory ammo available,no optics and the rifle had no history with which to base any research into quality or reliability. Also the forces has .50 hmg's which means we have .50 ammo up the wazzoo and it didn't make economical sense to buy a rifle in a caliber that no other weapon used. But who knows what will happen in the future.
View Quote

Striker,
I'm thinking the .408 will be ready for some serious testing late this fall.

The new scope, from US Optics, should have been delivered about now.  Just from memory, I believe the .408 people were working with Sierra on the bullet and I have no idea when the bullet will become available.

I believe some few rifles have already been sold into the civilian market and right or wrong those rifles will provide data for continued improvement.

Finally, I don't believe US Army Special Forces have snipers !  Now they do have some folks whose specialty seems to be "interdiction."  (SF will hopefully correct me if I have this wrong.)  Anyway there was an E-9 who was the senior enlisted man that ran interdiction training for SF.  The .408 guys hired him the day he retired.

I'm thinking the .408 people are serious about getting 'someone's military business.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 12:06:24 PM EDT
[#9]
5subslr5, i think the person you are referring to is Dean Michaelis. There are good posts done by him on the .408 Chey Tac research at www.socnetcentral.com/vb.

Actually, heres one from testing of the .408

[url]http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9607[/url]
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
5subslr5, i think the person you are referring to is Dean Michaelis. There are good posts done by him on the .408 Chey Tac research at www.socnetcentral.com/vb.

Actually, heres one from testing of the .408

[url]http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9607[/url]
View Quote

Tuukka,
you are right that's the guy.  Just couldn't think of his name.

I'll check on the test and thanks !
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 12:49:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I've never been as proud of the Forces as I was when I read the article in todays paper. It inspired me to go shooting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top