Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2001 12:09:06 PM EDT
I could swear that not too long ago in one of the gun chat rooms I goto that I had a conversation with a Canadian guy who told me that he can still get certain AR15 clones in Canada and that he just couldn't use highcapacity magazines in the thing.

What is the word from those who know or those who live in Canada and would know?    Are some AR15 clones legal up there or are they all illegal to own?    I think I remember a conversation about the Chinese AR15 clone as well, where the import ban here in the US does not permit the Chinese AR15 to be sold in the US but it is available for sale in Canada.

I'm trying to figure this out because I've got a few guys(kids) telling me that Canada won't permit them and yet here I had a guy the other night saying it was still possible to do.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Not only that, somebody here was saying you could have HK G36's in semi up there...

More details would be most interesting.  Especially the HK part.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 12:45:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Striker,

No flame intended, but where does it say No bayo lug? I believe your thinking because there shipped in from the USA (and they are not allowed these) that Canada cannot have them. This I believe is untrue.

Ai
View Quote

If that was the case they couldn't have flash suppresors or telestocks either. He said there were no other restrictions other than mag capacity and bayo lugs.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 12:56:55 PM EDT
[#4]
ARs and their variants are specifically designated as 'restricted firearms' by order in council - essentially by an order of the Prime Minister made without consent of Parliament.   License, registration certificate, and a specific authorization to transport or carry are necessary before you can go to the range.  Shooting with a restricted firearm anywhere other than a range - gravel pits, your field etc - is very difficult or impossible to do legally.  Miss a piece of paper and you can expect to be criminally charged and have your entire collection confiscated if you are questioned.  5 rd mag limits apply unless your AR is beltfed, in which case you may fire when ready.  Restricted firearms apparently cannot be used for hunting due to their government-declared 'nonsporting' status.  Full auto is not permitted unless you have continuously owned a full auto gun since the 70's. Sound suppressors are 'prohibited devices' and may not be owned by a civilian except in rare and heavily regulated exceptions apparently intended to allow for government production. Folding/collapsing stocks, flash suppressors, threaded muzzles, accessory lugs and the like are permitted.  Since the guns are already restricted, barrel lengths can be anywhere down to a bit shorter than 5" without changing the legal status of the gun one whit.

The HK SL8, SL8-1, G36 and UMP are all non-restricted IF the specific gun in question was manufactured as a semiauto only and has never been full auto.  Exactly the same amount of regulation as a 550 fps pellet gun except that ammo vendors require you to show your mandatory license in order to purchase ammo.

There's much more to our laws, but that gives you some of the basics.  BTW Striker I was |\|f/\ prior to the mandatory name changes for users with special characters. I'm a Manitoba director for the NFA.  My best advice is to GET IT ON TAPE from 1 800 731 4000 - they might not be right, but at least you'll have the 'official misdirection' defence should it come to that.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 1:13:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys, you pretty much summed up what I was thinking and the impressions I had of the Canadian law regarding AR15s.    I tried mentioning that to these guys(17-20 year old "kids") and they insisted that the things are outlawed.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#6]
5 round mags? Why even bother having the thing? So glad my family moved out of Canada when I was only 4 yrs old.  At least I wouldn't have missed anything!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 2:02:21 PM EDT
[#8]
The 5rd mags are like the legal drinking age, only a suggestion [%(]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 2:30:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Scarecrow, I was about to add something to that effect on my post but chickened out.  Yep, they're avail in quantity if you know where to look.  In fact, since many Canadian gun stores don't sell ANY ARs or mags for 'em, I'd wager that it's now easier to buy an illegal 30 rounder (er I mean parts to create and/or repair a limited 5 round magazine I mean I'd like to speak to my lawyer and will have no further comment at this time officer) than a legal 5 rounder.  Of course, for those with the $ one solution is to go with legal beltfed goodness.  Also note that the cartridge magazine control regulations don't cover bolt action magazines - interesting, especially since some bolt action rifles will accept AR mags.  The regs also say that mags may hold no more than 5 rounds *of the type for which the mag was originally designed*.  Hence, it may also be possible to have a legal '5' round mag for a cartridge larger than .223 - which still allows 10 rounds or so of .223 to be loaded.  Plenty of room in there for a few more good scraps in a court of law.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 4:13:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Well I have to say, I follow the laws to the letter, now if your not allowed to have a mag over 5rds, what do you do with it? throw it out... in a pvc that your burry on your land. Dont have to worry about rust with thermolds and orlites except for the spring which you can keep in cosmoline. And anyways on most military bases that I was on as a Cadet had thermolds lying around everywhere, not my fault that they fell in my bags.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Running someone over with your car without you knowing it is still second degree murder.  It is still your fault.  

It's simply not worth breaking the law, or even suggesting it. You can play stupid but when the cops want to charge you, they will get you. Too many cases where gunowners were charged of unsafe storage when the cops came into their houses for some other reasons.  It's simply stupid to play with fire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top