Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 4/26/2002 6:52:33 AM EST
My dad was born and raised in Canada and now lives in the U.S. Now that he is retired he is looking at some sweet Canadian vacation property. He's looking at it "For the children" (grandchildren that is). My question is: I understand I would have to acquire a special form and pay $50 to bring guns into Canada. Is this good for one gun or many? How long can I have them in Canada? Years? If I understand correctly if I get an FAC I do not need to do this special visitors license. What is involved with getting an FAC? I'm getting conflicting reports from outdoor magazines, and various people. The Canadian customs site does not seem to address these specifics. My ideal would be to pay as little as possible to take in .22s for summertime plinking with the kids, and the shotguns for fall grouse hunting. What do our Canadian friends know? Thanks for any help you can provide. Kent
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 9:46:00 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/26/2002 9:46:30 AM EST by Striker]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 9:53:45 AM EST
Thanks for the link Striker. I'll check out the info on all those common sense gun laws.[:)]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:39:49 AM EST
Check out the time span between my posts. I spent all that time reading information that applies only to me, a non-resident interested in bringing guns into Canada to use for pleasure. I feel so sorry for you, having to live with all those stupid restrictions. If I understand correctly I can do the non-resident registration; that, with extensions, is good for one year at a cost of $50 Canadian. Or... I can take the test and apply for a PAL (Possession Acquisition License) that is good for 5 years. This will cost $60 plus $18 for registering (E-gads!!!) my few firearms I would take. By the sounds of it, I could not just buy a camp rifle and leave it in Canada while I was gone, because that would be violating the storage rules. If I wanted to leave a rifle in Canada I would have to leave it with someone who has a PAL and (I think) registers the gun in their possession Any insight from those of you who have taken the PAL test. How hard, details, etc., ... Did I understand correctly that Colt AR-15's are restricted (need the $80 PAL plus transportation license) while Bushmaster and others are prohibited (you can't own them)? Heh, Heh, My Oly didn't make the list does that mean it's restricted or prohibited? (stupid bureaucrats) By the sounds of it, I might as well forget bringing my AR in unless I have a specific place to go with it (i.e. a competition or approved range), because of the transportation license requirements. Based on your knowledge, my Canadian friends, does it sound like I've got the basics? When I get closer, providing my dad buys the property, I'll be using that 1-800 number to get the hard facts straight from the bureaucrats' mouth. Oh yeah, My favorite: You can't bring in more than 200 rounds of ammo duty free and you need a PAL to purchase ammo. 200 rounds that's a short afternoon with the .22 LR. BTW, do we have any AR-15.com folks near Sault Ste. Marie Ont.? Thanks again for the link, Striker. Kent
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 1:20:59 PM EST
Top Top