Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2010 5:00:43 PM EDT
KANDAHAR, Afghanistan — Canada’s top soldier in Afghanistan is under investigation after his rifle fired unexpectedly at Kandahar Airfield.

In a highly unusual move, Brig.-Gen. Daniel Menard approached media on the base Saturday to explain the incident, which did not result in any injuries or property damage.

The commander of Canadian troops in Afghanistan said he felt compelled to come forward in the name of openness.

He said the incident occurred on March 25 while he was loading his weapon — something he’s done thousands of times before — when it went off.

The Canadian Forces National Investigation Service was called in to determine whether his weapon malfunctioned or whether it was an accidental discharge.

If the incident is determined to be an accidental discharge, Menard could be face a court martial under the National Defence Act.

Fines are often as little as $10 or even a reprimand.

But a case involving someone of his rank and position would likely result in a stiffer penalty if convicted.
© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service

Whoops.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Canadian%20general%20Kandahar%20under%20investigation%20after%20rifle%20discharges%20while%20loading%20ammo/2920276/story.html
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 5:03:17 PM EDT
[#1]
stuff happens
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#2]
slam fire?
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 5:20:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Michael Yon just posted on this on facebook...

Michael Yon   A couple of interesting Canadians told me that Brigadier General Daniel Menard accidentally fired his rifle inside of an American helicopter. Sources said he nearly shot with automatic fire a high Canadian official at point-blank and hit the American helicopter while it was preparing to take off. The claim sounded wild, but I live on instincts and it sounded like it might have basis in fact. And so I began checking about a day ago. One check included this email from me to Canadian forces:
––-
Gentlemen,

Word is going around that BG Menard accidentally fired his weapon inside an American helicopter. Would you kindly confirm/deny this report ASAP?
Checking with U.S. side as well.

––-
Subsequent my inquiry, truth is coming out.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I suspect this will end poorly for the general.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#5]
If that shit happened on my bird I would be beating some BG ass with a pump handle on the double quick.  

Your Rifle...hand it over.  You can have it back when we get home!  Don't make me pull this helicopter over!
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Michael Yon   A couple of interesting Canadians told me that Brigadier General Daniel Menard accidentally fired his rifle inside of an American helicopter.

He was rightfully defending Canada's fresh water resources from American Imperialism.

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 5:43:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Michael Yon   A couple of interesting Canadians told me that Brigadier General Daniel Menard accidentally fired his rifle inside of an American helicopter.

He was rightfully defending Canada's fresh water resources from American Imperialism.

Was this the first shot fired in a future war between Canada and the United States?
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If that shit happened on my bird I would be beating some BG ass with a pump handle on the double quick.  

Your Rifle...hand it over.  You can have it back when we get home!  Don't make me pull this helicopter over!

lol... old crew cheifs, bless 'em.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
slam fire?

I've heard it can happen from constantly chambering the same round over and over, but I have never actually seen it happen.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was this the first shot fired in a future war between Canada and the United States?

Canadian war strategy cannot be divulged over the internetz at any cost.

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 8:01:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Canadian Generals don't get out much during pre-deployment training.  What I mean to say is that they are always doing "more important things" while the troops are doing weapon handling drills for the umpteenth time.  And I say that with a straight face.  The things that our generals do are truly very important.  The problem is that a balance must be struck.  If the good General is going to venture forth all gunned up with a personal carbine on the field of battle, then he ought be competent with his personal weapon.  This one was apparently not sufficiently competent, and as a result he had a negligent discharge.  Yes, NEGLIGENT, not accidental....

This is a problem of training, not basic competence.  Brigadier-General Menard is very busy thinking of the next Strategic move in Kandadahar, Afghanistan.  That will decide (in turn) the next Operational and Tactical moves by the Canadian and U.S. forces under his command.  His personal weapon handling is seemingly incidental, but nonetheless important as it could actually kill someone.  He has a close-protection party to take care of him, and let's be honest - has he ever really left the wire of a FOB?  Carrying a carbine and walking around in full "battle rattle" is false CG bravado, and this time it has backfired.

Notwithstanding all of the above, Kudos to the BGen for admitting his mistake (not that it wouldn't have been reported on the NCO net regardless).  By manning up to the fact, he leads a culture of responsibility for one's actions.  He will be Summarily Tried (Article 15) by the Major General commanding Canadian Forces Expeditionary Command (CEFCOM) and will be found guilty as admitted.  He will be fined more than a Private would be in order to demonstrate that rank has no privilege when it comes to basic soldier skills and weapons handling safety.  

The average fine for a negligent discharge is $1800.  Expect BGen Menard to plead guilty and pay in the order of $2400.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Canadian Generals don't get out much during pre-deployment training.  What I mean to say is that they are always doing "more important things" while the troops are doing weapon handling drills for the umpteenth time.  And I say that with a straight face.  The things that our generals do are truly very important.  The problem is that a balance must be struck.  If the good General is going to venture forth all gunned up with a personal carbine on the field of battle, then he ought be competent with his personal weapon.  This one was apparently not sufficiently competent, and as a result he had a negligent discharge.  Yes, NEGLIGENT, not accidental....

This is a problem of training, not basic competence.  Brigadier-General Menard is very busy thinking of the next Strategic move in Kandadahar, Afghanistan.  That will decide (in turn) the next Operational and Tactical moves by the Canadian and U.S. forces under his command.  His personal weapon handling is seemingly incidental, but nonetheless important as it could actually kill someone.  He has a close-protection party to take care of him, and let's be honest - has he ever really left the wire of a FOB?  Carrying a carbine and walking around in full "battle rattle" is false CG bravado, and this time it has backfired.

Notwithstanding all of the above, Kudos to the BGen for admitting his mistake (not that it wouldn't have been reported on the NCO net regardless).  By manning up to the fact, he leads a culture of responsibility for one's actions.  He will be Summarily Tried (Article 15) by the Major General commanding Canadian Forces Expeditionary Command (CEFCOM) and will be found guilty as admitted.  He will be fined more than a Private would be in order to demonstrate that rank has no privilege when it comes to basic soldier skills and weapons handling safety.  

The average fine for a negligent discharge is $1800.  Expect BGen Menard to plead guilty and pay in the order of $2400.

Are you affiliated with the Calgary Highlanders??
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

stuff happens

No shit.  Have gunny chew is ass out like in the Pacific.  But a Court Martial?

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#14]
What was a general doing loading a rifle?
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

He didn't fess up until a month later, when Michael Yon heard about it and started asking questions.  It doesn't take a lot of training to learn how to safely load and unload an M4, especially since he shouldn't have been chambering a round while on the flight line, and he reportedly almost hit someone with his ND, and DID damage a US helicopter.

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 8:16:49 PM EDT
[#16]
That's important enough to make the news?

Plenty of other things in Afghanistan to be more concerned about.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top