Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/5/2009 11:09:51 AM EDT
What's up with the military of our neighbor's to the North? Oh Canada! I have seen a few pics of these guys in action, and they look as if they got their shit together. Anyone got some more? I've come to the conclusion these guys are not your typical South Park cartoon characters! Thanks to them!

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 11:26:32 AM EDT
[#1]
What are you on aboot?
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 11:27:26 AM EDT
[#2]
But we still don't forgive them for Brian Adams.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 11:36:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

We cannot forgive.  We cannot forget.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 11:37:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What's up with the military of our neighbor's to the North? Oh Canada! I have seen a few pics of these guys in action, and they look as if they got their shit together. Anyone got some more? I've come to the conclusion these guys are not your typical South Park cartoon characters! Thanks to them!      

They are a large, well funded force of draftees, with immense power projection capabilities, integrated combat arms, and a independent nuclear ballistic submarine fleet.

Oh...you were serious?
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Celine Dion…

My heart will go on… and on…and on…and on…and on…and on…and on…and on…and on…and on…and on…and on…and on…and on…and on…and on…and on…and on…and on…
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 11:39:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They have gay french milk…

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 11:57:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Their military is a joke.  Their soldiers are squared away.  That's been my experience with them anyway.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 12:10:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Seriously, all the Canadian Forces guys and gals I have worked with have been pretty high-speed.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 12:23:16 PM EDT
[#9]
check over at militaryphotos.net
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#10]
From my understanding the Canadian military is professional, but way underfunded.  For one thing there was a new story a few years back I read, that stated they didn't have the funding to properly maintain or upgrade their Leopard 1 tanks, nor the transport aircraft to deploy them overseas.  I've also heard the navy is in a similar shape, with little funding to deploy some of the larger ships on a regular basis.  I can't provide a source for that info, but that's my two cents.    

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 12:32:55 PM EDT
[#11]
There are only about 40,000 service members, its about 1/3rd the  size it should be.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#12]
From what I've heard the average Canadian soldier is very squared away.

Quality, not quantity.

This guy is JTF-2

RF
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 12:54:44 PM EDT
[#13]
They haven't needed much of a military for a long time.  The individuals that serve are as good as any other country's service members.  Unfortunately,  they better start picking up the pace because the chosen one is going to cut our capabilities to the point where North America's security can't be guaranteed anymore.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They do an outstanding job with the limited funding they get.  

I heard they got their budget doubled so they can have two squads per platoon now ;-)
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 1:03:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Ouch!  That cut cut like a knife...
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 1:20:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Before this thread spirals into a Canadian military bashin' festivus... Please keep in mind that The United States has a population of approximately 304 Million people.
Canada is roughly 33 million.

That's just a hair over 10% of the population of the US.

So... I'd suggest that for a country just 10% the size of the USA we do just fine military-wise.
Certainly better than all the internet special forces gathered here.

I know for a fact that any Canadian unit can out drink any US outfit.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Their military is a joke - Bullshit.  Their soldiers are squared away - agree - most of them are just as most US soldiers are.  That's been my experience with them anyway - where exactly did you get your experience.

Having worked in Afghanistan with them, i feel i need to correct a few mis-impressions
1 - the soldiers i worked with were professional and well trained - they had 1 or 2 knuckleheads but we (US) had 1-2 our selves.
2 - the top Brass are competent career soldiers, i have personally met their Gen Andrew Leslie, he was squared away, and when he spoke he knew what he was talking abooot
3 - The Canadian Government is more of a Impediment to the Operations of the Canadian forces than the terrain / logistics / battle space.  Due to the Canadian .gov almost paranoia of casualties they send directives down the chain of command that severely hamper the ability of the shooters to actually get out and fight.
4 - can you tell me who has the longest confirmed sniper kill - (hint - Google Rod Furlong) - this will also show you the political involvement in Canadian military affairs.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 1:23:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ouch!  That cut cut like a knife...

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 1:40:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey, we gave you Elisha Cuthbert , that should make up for Celine Dion .

Our soldiers kick ass, but they could use a few more toys...

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 1:42:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Adjusting for population and GDP: The Canadian Government spends roughly 50% of what comparable Western Countries spend as a % of GDP on Defence.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 1:42:47 PM EDT
[#22]
didnt they give us pam anderson also???

thats right run down the beach...  slowly...
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Adjusting for population and GDP: The Canadian Government spends roughly 50% of what comparable Western Countries spend as a % of GDP on Defence.

Thats about right.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Their MREs are better than ours from what I recall in Iraq.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Canada outsources security to the U.S.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 3:23:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Our boys are still in Afghanistan doing what they can with a budget crippled by 13 years of liberal government, the funding has been slightly better for the last 3 years thanks to a minority conservative government...

I don't remember the name of the soldier who took these pics but you might not have seen these:

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 3:30:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a friend who is in the Canadian Army. He is a tank commander (?). He likes to point out how their tanks are better than ours.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Good Soldiers, doing what they can with what they got. I've met a number of them and like anywhere else I would say for the most part they are squared away.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 3:32:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Before this thread spirals into a Canadian military bashin' festivus... Please keep in mind that The United States has a population of approximately 304 Million people.
Canada is roughly 33 million.

That's just a hair over 10% of the population of the US.

So... I'd suggest that for a country just 10% the size of the USA we do just fine military-wise.
Certainly better than all the internet special forces gathered here.

You obviously have never heard of the engineer song.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#30]
From what I saw from them in Afghanistan I would definitely say they do have their shit together.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 3:38:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Their military is a joke - Bullshit.  Their soldiers are squared away - agree - most of them are just as most US soldiers are.  That's been my experience with them anyway - where exactly did you get your experience.

Having worked in Afghanistan with them, i feel i need to correct a few mis-impressions
1 - the soldiers i worked with were professional and well trained - they had 1 or 2 knuckleheads but we (US) had 1-2 our selves.
2 - the top Brass are competent career soldiers, i have personally met their Gen Andrew Leslie, he was squared away, and when he spoke he knew what he was talking abooot
3 - The Canadian Government is more of a Impediment to the Operations of the Canadian forces than the terrain / logistics / battle space.  Due to the Canadian .gov almost paranoia of casualties they send directives down the chain of command that severely hamper the ability of the shooters to actually get out and fight.
4 - can you tell me who has the longest confirmed sniper kill - (hint - Google Rod Furlong) - this will also show you the political involvement in Canadian military affairs.

That is why I said their military is a joke but their soldiers are squared away.  I fail to see where we are disagreeing?  My experience with the Canadian .mil has been through joint exercises here.  May have run into a few in the desert, but all I can recall over there were Brits and Aussies.

Like many other people have pointed out as well, the soldiers are doing what they can with what they have.  Therefore the soldiers are squared away, but due to the governments unwillingness to properly administrate it, the military is a joke.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Seriously, all the Canadian Forces guys and gals I have worked with have been pretty high-speed.

This. And incredibly friendly...freakishly, scarily friendly. Something's going on...

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 3:53:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have a friend who is in the Canadian Army. He is a tank commander (?). He likes to point out how their tanks are better than ours.

If only the damn politicos could finish their bickering and allow more funds to finish buying / upgrading some Leopard 2's. We are nowhere near the US' tank force in numbers though...
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 3:55:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If only the damn politicos could finish their bickering and allow more funds to finish buying / upgrading some Leopard 2's. We are nowhere near the US' tank force in numbers though...

Yeah. He says the US' are quantity whereas the Canada's are quality.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#35]
canadas army comes in bags.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 4:01:13 PM EDT
[#36]
The lower echelon troops are good to go.  However some of the senior enlisted and higher ranking officers are not really too great.  Not to say all are that way, I did meet some that had no issues.

One time I was kicked out of Canadian Col's office because my unit was using too much fire power.  He did not like it when he said "The problems with you Americans is don't know understand the theory of Counter-Insurgency"  my response, your right we have been fighting one for 5 years, so we may not be all that good at theory.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The Canadians are kicking ass and taking names in Afghanistan, as far as I know.

Sometimes they are some times they aren't.  TFK does some good things and somethings that is highly dubious.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 4:03:55 PM EDT
[#38]

Who holds the record for the longest range sniper kill?
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 4:06:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
canadas army comes in bags.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. He says the US' are quantity whereas the Canada's are quality.

Part of the job is being able to brag I think but we have 201 tanks while the US has nearly 6000... (How do you guys even get around without tripping on a M1 Abrahams???)
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#40]
In 1977, we took 15 RF-4C's to the Canadian base at Baden Baden, Germany as part of Reforger. We also took almost 200 people to support the planes.

The Canadians laughed at us and said they about died when they saw how many people we brought and would have brought maybe 50.

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 4:10:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You obviously have never heard of the engineer song.

Well... maybe not...

I would post the words to the drinking songs I sang during my time in the forces, but they would violate the Arfcom COC  
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Celine Dion…

My heart will go on… and on…and on…and on…and on…and on…and on…and on…and on…and on…and on…and on…and on…and on…and on…and on…and on…and on…and on…

Why can't that bitch just drown already.

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 4:17:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That's because they don't have to spend anymore. It helps when the US is your neighbor to the south.

The Canadian Military Members=good to go.
The Canadian Politicians who fund the military=ass clowns.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 4:18:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats aboot right.

Fixed.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Hey, we gave you Elisha Cuthbert , that should make up for Celine Dion .

Our soldiers kick ass, but they could use a few more toys...

Hell, Elisha Cuthbert more than makes up for Celine Dion.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 4:43:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

A Canadian sniper with a .50.  Believe it was a Barrett.  Range was around 2500m.  Don't remember the name or the exact details.  Like I've been saying, the soldiers are squared away.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 4:53:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Canadian sniper with a .50.  Believe it was a Barrett.  Range was around 2500m.  Don't remember the name or the exact details.  Like I've been saying, the soldiers are squared away.

Rob Furlong with a McMillan TAC-50 from 2430m
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CBC Interview with Rob Furlong and canadian sniper school

ETA: Stupid reporter mentions that the TAC-50 can shoot down an airliner
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He can shoot right or left handed also, although he's a cop now.  I was born in Nfld and have met him.  He says he's not even the best shot out of his group of friends he grew up with back home.

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 5:27:00 PM EDT
[#50]
The Canadian can boast they kicked us out of their country twice.  We invaded in 1776 and our army was captured in Quebec.  We tried several times in the War of 1812 and they soundly thrashed us again.  The Fenians went in after the Civil War and were also ran out of that place.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top