Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/9/2003 5:30:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/9/2003 5:38:36 AM EDT by bvmjethead]
Mayor Files Complaint After Being Called 'Dude'

Tuesday, December 09, 2003

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. — Arvin Mayor Juan Olivares had just one request of a Kern County sheriff's deputy during a traffic stop — "Don't call me dude."

The mayor of the city of 20,000 people about 20 miles south of Bakersfield planned to file an official complaint with the sheriff's department, seeking to have the deputy fired for what he calls disrespectful behavior.

"I asked him five times, 'Please officer, don't call me dude.' I'm not a dude. I'm 41 years old, I'm a businessman, I'm a Christian and I consider myself a gentlemen," Olivares said Monday.

Olivares and Arvin City Councilwoman Carmen Acevedo were stopped by the deputy in Bakersfield on Nov. 23. Olivares, who was driving, said he was ticketed for having illegally tinted windows on his vehicle and Acevedo received a citation for having an open container of beer.

Olivares doesn't dispute the charges, but simply takes issue with being called dude.

"He was calling me dude and laughing about it," Olivares said. "I don't think Kern County needs that kind of leadership."

Both Olivares and Acevedo are due in traffic court December 17th.

Acevedo did not immediately return a telephone call seeking comment. A message left for Sgt. Chevy Garza, spokesman for the Kern County Sheriff's Department, also was not returned.

Forgot the link.....www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,105232,00.html

I almost don't believe it.

First a traffic stop for "illegally tinted windows".

Then a Mayor want's to make a big stink about being called "dude".

If I were the judge, I'd be really pissed about people bringing some ridiculous junk like this into my courtroom.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:37:04 AM EDT
...waste of resources
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:41:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By bvmjethead: If I were the judge, I'd be really pissed about people bringing some ridiculous junk like this into my courtroom.
View Quote
Well, the cop is only doing his job WRT the windows. Stupid, but there it is... The mayor, OTOH, is a complete tool. Were I the judge, I'd have the TV cameras rolled in while I ripped him a new asshole for violating the window-tint law, AND THEN wasting the court's time by behaving like a two-year-old. Geez, the people who get elected... [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:42:08 AM EDT
DUDE, I don't see what the big stinkin' deal is with being called "dude". That's one of my favorite words. "'sup dude?", "that's killer,dude!" "dude, where's my car?" I love the word and heck it's better then being called "shithead".
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:46:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:54:25 AM EDT
Somebody has to do it.... [headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang][head­bang]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:34:26 AM EDT
"He was calling me dude and laughing about it," Olivares said. "I don't think Kern County needs that kind of leadership." He's not a leader. He's a deputy.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:51:02 AM EDT
He's just trying to smokescreen his wife from constructing the following logic train: Hubby + Not at work + Drinking beer + In car with city council "woman" =?? He's not going to succeed. [:D]
Top Top