Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2004 11:56:05 AM EDT
...and drop it off in another?  You know, kinda like Uhaul?

I don't see why not as long as you start & end at a Hertz, but I thought I'd check and see if anyone else has done this.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:57:23 AM EDT
[#1]
sure, costs more.....
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes. Should be no problem.

A friend of mine used to work for Hertz (I think) driving rental cars from 1 location to another, after they were dropped off in the 'wrong' town.

You'll generally have to stay within a certain area, though. Don't expect to drive from FL to CA and drop off you car.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:57:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, but there is typically a fee associated with dropping it off at a location from where you did not rent the car.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I have heard of it done.  But I think you have to pay extra for some one to return it to the original rental place.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Its called a "Drop Fee".  Usually it is based on an additional mileage charge.  Can add up pretty quickly.  Some places are different... In LA, you can pick up and drop at any metro airport with no Dorp Fee.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:01:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm, well I'm looking at being pretty from my start point.  At least 400 miles, possibly more like 700.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:04:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Ask.

Some rental places will give you a discount if you take a car from a  place that has too many cars to another that needs them.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Depending on what time of year, vacation time, availabilty of cars, etc., you can really dicker with the car companies if there is a surplus of vehicles and little demand. You can also pit one company against another for a better rate, free upgrade, etc.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#9]
If you're crossing an international border, make sure you clear up and possible fees for that beforehand.  Most rentals have GPS trackers and can tell where you've been, no bullshitting them there.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Have done this several times, and depending on the begin and end locations the fee can be very hefty.  Several times I just rented a u-haul and drove that...
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#11]
This may be a stupid idea, and I wounldn't know how to do it, but you could look into a 'drive away' at your final destination. You know, like in the movie 'The Hitcher', just without all the killing.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:10:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I've done it several times, and without extra fees. You just need to make this clear up front. It probably helps when you have a multi-billion dollar corporation that is making your reservations. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:30:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a couple of uncles that used to make extra cash moving one way rentals around whenever they accumulated in one area. Company would pay them to drive the cars back to other cities. Not a great money making opportunity mind you, but at least you got a free trip over the weekend.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:35:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I've done this several times between Roanoke, VA and Newark, NJ.  It helps if you are near an airport on both ends.

It also pays to check with all the local rental agencies, as the fee, if any, will vary depending on the company, time of year, etc.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#15]
IIRC, the highest drop fee is for cars left in Orlando, because so many people do it. I have heard that the fee can be little or nothing if you are going from a surplus area to a needy one.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Yep. After 9-11 we rented a car here in Ft. Lauderdale drove to Louisville, Kentucky and dropped it off there. Avis did the trick.

HS1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top