Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 3/26/2006 5:09:05 AM EDT
Not looking for anything fancy, just something decent for the car. Don't need an amp since I already have one, just need an affordable passive equalizer.

What brands should I key in on? Thanks.

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:11:31 AM EDT
Why?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:12:17 AM EDT
Would this thing be something that would work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9701129709&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:12:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By tyman:
Why?

I was going to ask the same exact question when I saw the thread title.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:13:32 AM EDT
You don't see those on cars anymore.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:16:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Zaphod:

Nope.

For good reason really. They arent needed beyond what stock systems are capable of, nor is the regular user able to tune one.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:18:16 AM EDT
I like trunk mounted system equalizers. I like The Audiocontrol EQL.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:23:38 AM EDT

Nope.

For good reason really. They arent needed beyond what stock systems are capable of, nor is the regular user able to tune one.

PLUS, anything inexpensive is going to introduce more noise/distortion into the system that it would make the sound worse, not better.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:47:49 AM EDT
But won't the equalizer give me more "options" coming out of the back of it (as expected, I'm using a cheap cd player along with this, which doesn't have any extra jacks coming out of the back of it).

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:54:04 AM EDT

Nope.

I'm kind of interested in doing SOMETHING. The Shaker audio (factory) in my new Mustang is actually quite nice, except the midrange is lacking quite a bit. It sounds great if you're into hip hop I suppose, but the guitars are noticeably subdued in rock and country (read: normal) music.

I've considered replacing everything with their aftermarket equivalents, but damn it: It's loud enough, the bass is accurately reproduced, the high frequencies are clear and well defined, it's got a 6 disc changer, it plays mp3s, and it's stupid easy to use while driving. My ONLY complaint is the subdued midrange, and I can't adjust it.

I don't want to compete, and I'm not looking to impress anybody. I just want kick-ass tunes while I'm bangin' through the gears.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:54:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By vmax84:
But won't the equalizer give me more "options" coming out of the back of it (as expected, I'm using a cheap cd player along with this, which doesn't have any extra jacks coming out of the back of it).

vmax84

What "Option" are you looking for?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:32:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ARHighPower:

vmax84

My cheapo Sony cd player only has two outputs, a left and right output. If I tie these two jacks into the equalizer, wouldn't that help give me some type of subwoofer output? That's all I'm looking for........an equalizer that will give me a low frequency output and a little more control over my sound.

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:34:24 AM EDT

vmax84

My cheapo Sony cd player only has two outputs, a left and right output. If I tie these two jacks into the equalizer, wouldn't that help give me some type of subwoofer output? That's all I'm looking for........an equalizer that will give me a low frequency output and a little more control over my sound.

vmax84

You would be better off with a crossover. It will direct the proper frequencies to the proper outputs.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:36:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/26/2006 8:38:20 AM EDT by mjrowley]

vmax84

vmax84

you need an active crossover, like "ARHighPower" just said,.

I gots a PPI(old PPI) pre amp ill sell you for $100.00.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:48:39 AM EDT
Equalizer's just add to most folks problems
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:55:45 AM EDT
If you need the crossover, I'd recommend an audiocontrol EQX. it is a preamp/EQ/X-over.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:23:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SubnetMask:

Nope.

I'm kind of interested in doing SOMETHING. The Shaker audio (factory) in my new Mustang is actually quite nice, except the midrange is lacking quite a bit. It sounds great if you're into hip hop I suppose, but the guitars are noticeably subdued in rock and country (read: normal) music.

I've considered replacing everything with their aftermarket equivalents, but damn it: It's loud enough, the bass is accurately reproduced, the high frequencies are clear and well defined, it's got a 6 disc changer, it plays mp3s, and it's stupid easy to use while driving. My ONLY complaint is the subdued midrange, and I can't adjust it.

I don't want to compete, and I'm not looking to impress anybody. I just want kick-ass tunes while I'm bangin' through the gears.

Hmm....

Yeah, in your case then, an eq would probably do some good then..
Top Top