Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2006 2:18:50 PM EDT
I have a green laser pointer and on occasion I've tried to blind the occasional roach or spider with it. However I have no idea if I'm having any effect.

One bug I lit up started running away but I'm not sure if it was because he was blind or just didnt like light?

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Doctoral dissertation time.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#2]
You know, the little bastards are going to get you back for that... like maybe crawl inside your ears while you're sleeping or lay eggs on your toilet paper roll.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#3]
You'll only make them mutate into giant size versions of themselves.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Dont do that.............unless you let DrFridge see it first
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I once aimed a red laser very close to a salamander on a wall and
it started to follow it thinking it was a very tasty glowing bug.

Salamanders are dumb.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#6]
What's the output of your laser?  I have one that's 85mW from www.wickedlasers.com.  I pretty sure you can kill them if your close enough.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You know, the little bastards are going to get you back for that... like maybe crawl inside your ears while you're sleeping or lay eggs on your toilet paper roll.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:38:25 PM EDT
[#8]
My first reaction is to say "you have way too much time on your hands" but then again, now I want to try it too.  I don't have green laser like you do Mr. Fancypants, just a half-assed $5.00 to taunt my cats with.  Nevertheless, I wanna try blinding some bugs.

Quoted:
I have a green laser pointer and on occasion I've tried to blind the occasional roach or spider with it. However I have no idea if I'm having any effect.

One bug I lit up started running away but I'm not sure if it was because he was blind or just didnt like light?

Any ideas?

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#9]
The Insect Aviation Agency made this illegal several years ago.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:44:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What's the output of your laser?  I have one that's 85mW from www.wickedlasers.com.  I pretty sure you can kill them if your close enough.

Those things are scary, never thought I'd see a laser pointer pop a baloon, or light a match, or cut through electrical tape.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#11]
hmmmm burning ants with a magnifying glass not doing it for ya anymore?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:54:55 PM EDT
[#12]
You want some REAL insectoid fun? Position a tazer so that each of the arc emitters is directly on either side of a busy ant hole. Now THAT's entertainment....
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:13:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I fired a bright strobe next to a snail on a wall a few times.  The snails didn't like it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Most insects really dont use their eyes as much as their other senses.   The low power lasers probably wont do much.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:21:49 PM EDT
[#15]
You bastages do know that eventually some super powerful alien is going to land on the White House lawn and start blinding people and pulling their arms off and shit, don't you?

Fraznak:  "Hey Glorbnok, lookee here!  You can blind'em if you shine the Thermoplast right at'em!  Har-har-har!"

Glorbnok:  "Har-har!  If you shove this electrical thing up their asses they do a funny dance!"

I don't believe in it, but if there really IS such a thing as Karma, some of you boys are going to be welcoming your new insect overlords before long.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:28:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I once aimed a red laser very close to a salamander on a wall and
it started to follow it thinking it was a very tasty glowing bug.

Salamanders are dumb.

Enlightening. I wonder if it works on Kanagroos...
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#17]
my roomates over in aussy land for a few months ill have him test it out for us.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:53:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Dunno about insects, but one of the best pranks ever is to get your friend's cat into a frenzy chasing the laser pointer dot, and then slinging the dot up on to your friend's chest.  Instant laser-guided cat missile attack!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#19]
This topic totally rocks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top