Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2005 10:47:34 PM EDT
I got a call this evening from a distant "friend" who wanted to know if I can send him some money so he can bail out of  jail.  He said that he got arrested for DUI this evening when he failed the breath test.  This is now forth time he got arrested for DUI and he was convicted twice in past.

How here is the crazy part...
He said that he used Listerine mouthwash to rinse his mouth real good just before leaving his house and that he got pulled over by the police within 5 minutes after leaving his house.  He said that he failed the breath test because of the alcohol that was left in his mouth from the Listerine.

Anybody know if this can be for real... or is he just lying to me... again?  

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:48:32 PM EDT
[#1]
you can't just call people from jail. Did you accept the call? Or pick up to him on the other line.

ETA: Also BS about the mouth wash. If he really wanted to he could request blood work. It wouldn't lie. But hes just taking you as a sap.

ETAA: If I ever get pulled over for a DUI I am never going to allow them to use a breathalyzer we are going down town and having blood drawn.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:48:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I could be.

But I wouldn't spend any money anyways with his history.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:50:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Listerine and Banaca breath freshener will set off a breathalyzer.  A blood test is the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:51:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I do know that BAC tests are only accurate after a certain amount of time once the individual has stopped drinking.  However, you must inform the officer of the last time you had any drinks.

Would mouth wash have that great of an effect?  I doubt it.  Not unless he drank it...and I mean a lot.

I'd say stay clear of this one.  Sounds like trouble to me.  Last thing you probably need.

What do I know though...I can't keep out of trouble myself lately.

Family is family until they screw you over.  Then you just have to cut the cord.  I never make the same mistake twice.  Apparently he doesn't want to change for the better.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:52:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Listerine and Banaca breath freshener will set off a breathalyzer.  A blood test is the only way to be sure.

This was proved on Mythbusters. They did in fact blow a number high enough to be considered drunk.

Albeit you gotta drink alot. Not just a normal washing of the mouth.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:56:39 PM EDT
[#6]
To my knowledge they don't just take you "downtown" and do a breath test. He more than likely also failed several field sobriety tests before he was arrested.

If it was in fact the listerine that caused the false reading, a simple retest 15 minutes or so later should clear it all up.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
you can't just call people from jail. Did you accept the call? Or pick up to him on the other line.

Damn, I didn't know that
I never had anyone call me from jail before.
It was just a regular call that came into my cellular phone.
I guess it may be just another BS scam

He and I and his wife were real close back when we were in University.  Unfortunately he fell on some hard times couple years ago and his wife left him when he was over doing on alcohol constantly.  I been helping him out occasionally since most of his family members gave up on him.

It's really too bad as he was such a great guy... until he discovered alcohol is the most important thing in his life.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:04:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
To my knowledge they don't just take you "downtown" and do a breath test. He more than likely also failed several field sobriety tests before he was arrested.

If it was in fact the listerine that caused the false reading, a simple retest 15 minutes or so later should clear it all up.

You can refuse the test and be taken down town for blood to be taken.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:06:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn, I didn't know that

He and I and his wife were real close back when we were in University.  Unfortunately he fell on some hard times couple years ago and his wife left him when he was over doing on alcohol constantly.  I been helping him out occasionally since most of his family members gave up on him.

It's really too bad as he was such a great guy... until he discovered alcohol is the most important thing in his life.

You should call him back and tell him your at a bond agents office and need to know where hes being held
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:07:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn, I didn't know that

Happens way too often    Had a friend back home, just like this........

Really IS sad....

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:08:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Jesus Christ FUCK NO!  He's full of shit.  I've heard them all.  Under the gun a lush will say anything.  Mouthwash will disspate an your breath in minutes.  I've been to the DUI classes that take breath tests, and people whip the mouthwash out of their pocket and make that claim.  It never flies.  Slap his face and tell him to get help.  They breathalyzer does work.  If it was the mouthwash he could have requested a second reading.  It still would have been the same because he was drunk.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:13:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Fuck'em. Tell the distant ass to man-up
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:22:59 PM EDT
[#13]
You need an edumacation: Alanon

Local Alanon meetings: here

Seriously.  It's and education you will never forget.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:31:21 PM EDT
[#14]
The guy's FOS.

Alcohol based mouthwash (Such as Listerine) will set off a breath machine, but only within a few minutes of using it.  

By the time he was finished with the normal parts of the traffic stop, the field sobriety tests, and the car ride to the station for the breathalizer/datamaster the mouthwash would have long since worn off.  Most departments require at least 20 minutes of continuous observation before administering a breath test - specifically to preclude the mouthwash defence.  

The small roadside test we use - the "Alcosensor" in my area - is not admissable in court.  It is only a pass/fail test.  It gives a pretty accurate BAC level, but it's accuracy has not been properly certified in court.  They only recognize it as a positive indicator of alcohol - regardless of the actual reading.  We will generally use it as the last field sobriety test before arresting someone and then taking them in for a breath test.  My department only uses blood unless we are dealing with minors under 18.  Then we use a neighboring departments datamaster (an advanced breathalizer).

You can bail the guy out if you want, but he's feeding you a line of feces.

-K

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:39:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Your pal is full of BS and you are an enabler.  The best thing that you can do for him (and yourself) is to stop bailing him out.  His family did the right thing by giving up on him.  He won't quit drinking until he hits bottom and reality sinks in.  You are delaying that when you attempt to help him.  He'll continue to scam you and use you because booze is the most important thing in his life.  

Only he can stop drinking.  You're making it easier for him to continue drinking every time you try to help him out of a jam.  If you care about him, tell him that you'll give him moral support - after he quits drinking.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:50:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Guys I don't think his "friend" is even in jail. Im guessing a ploy to have him give a GF or some one money to give to him. I mean come on he just simply called Yobo to get him out of jail. No operator etc.

I call BS on even the Dui thing.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:00:32 AM EDT
[#17]
on the mouthwash thing.

Quoted:

And Oly you can too call some one from jail.  Give me your number and I'll call you from the prisoner phone

It depends on the PD that does the arrest.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:09:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
on the mouthwash thing.

Quoted:

And Oly you can too call some one from jail.  Give me your number and I'll call you from the prisoner phone

It depends on the PD that does the arrest.

Well it must be a small place lol. Have had to bail people out in 3 states. all require you to accept the call. Many times I have declined
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:12:02 AM EDT
[#19]
So he wants you to send him some money to bail out. Where does he want you to send it? I work at a county jail and our bookings can only call out collect, even for a local call it's something like $3.00 a call and only to wired lines. The inmates are aways complaining that they can't call cell phones collect.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:29:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Yeah he needs to man-up and do the time and pay the fine, and have his license taken forever
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:39:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Fuck him...

Had a highschool freind like this who would do nothing but take advantage of his freinds... screwed every one of them out of money...

I gave up on the fucking loser...no more favors from me...

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:40:08 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I got a call this evening from a distant "friend" who wanted to know if I can send him some money so he can bail out of  jail.  He said that he got arrested for DUI this evening when he failed the breath test.  This is now forth time he got arrested for DUI and he was convicted twice in past.

He said that he used Listerine mouthwash to rinse his mouth real good just before leaving his house and that he got pulled over by the police within 5 minutes after leaving his house.  He said that he failed the breath test because of the alcohol that was left in his mouth from the Listerine.

One alcohol enforcement LEO here that's telling you that your friend is full of shit.

There's a difference between registering on breath test and "FAILING" one. Sounds like your friend will be doing some time.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:53:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Olyarms...

Well then don't drink and drive in Georgia.  Here 99.9% of the time after you are read the Implied Consent Notice the state administered test offered to you will be the breath test.  IF you consent to the breath test then, and only then, can you have a second test done at your own expense and from qualified personel of your own choosing.  Most officers won't offer you a blood test unless you've been in an automobile accident invovling serious injury or death.

Simpler solution, don't booze and operate heavy machinery.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:40:21 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
... or is he just lying to me... again?

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me".
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:01:03 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

ETAA: If I ever get pulled over for a DUI I am never going to allow them to use a breathalyzer we are going down town and having blood drawn.

In Oklahoma its the cops choice for either breath or blood test...ussually breath like 90% of the time but you can have a blood test at your own cost provided you provide a sample for the arresting agency.....
but only after you submit to the breath test first....sucky sucky

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:04:31 AM EDT
[#26]
what was he doing to be considered to be pulled over in the first place?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:04:56 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can refuse the test and be taken down town for blood to be taken.

In some places refusing it counts as an automatic conviction
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:20:55 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

That part right there tells a great deal.  What do you think of someone that has been arrested 4 times for the same offense?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:31:28 AM EDT
[#29]
4th DeeWI

Nuff said!

In Texas- #3 is a felony w/ a 2 year minimum.  I have a client who is going to jail for two years (will probably serve a years) on his 3rd DWI.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:09:40 AM EDT
[#30]
In AZ, used to be the thing that once you got stopped, before the officer got to your window, a person would pull out a pint of whatever "juice" he wanted, and guzzle it down.

Courts would have the case thrown out because they couldn't prove you were drinking before you got stopped. They have since changed the law. You still get the DUI if you guzzle at the stop.

And, when I got arrested a few years back (not for DUI - but an FTA for a forgotten traffic ticket) my one free call was made from my cell phone at booking before they took my stuff. The officer was kind enough to allow me to copy some numbers down to make calls from the cell. He also made the comment to me and some other officers that he would hire me in a heartbeat as a cop for his dept. And asked me to come see him if I wanted to work for his dept. He was a really good guy.

I ended up testing for another agency.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:17:08 AM EDT
[#31]
False.

You must wait 20 minutes from the initial stop before a breath test can be given.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:29:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Either way, I wouldn't bail him out. He's a drunk and continues to drive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top