Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2006 8:12:57 PM EDT
A 350 to 400 dollar gun that has the following features:

1 moa
Takes a 30 round magazine
Requires minimal maintenance (AK, Mini-14)
Milspec style sturdiness (grunt proof)

Thats it.  I was inspired by the "handout gun" thread in the Survival Forum.  AK's are great, but honestly I want something more accurate.  I want it cheap to.   To be built in the major military calibers.  I want a glock assault weapon basically

Can it be done today assuming your primary market are civilians, no major military contracts????  The cost is important here!

Editted for the comprehension impared: the "handout" idea has nothing in itself to do with this hypothetical question.  It simply asks can a semi-auto magazine fed rifle that can make 1 moa shots with commercial factory ammo from a cool barrel be built for 350-400 in a standard military caliber.  Not consistant 1 moa every shot, just first shot or a few.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:18:51 PM EDT
[#1]
AK-74 maybe
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:19:36 PM EDT
[#2]
wont happen with the 1MOA requirement
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:21:15 PM EDT
[#3]
No.

The closest you will get is a parts AR using used parts and even that will run you about $500-$600.

1 MOA is a lot to ask out of a semi-auto combat weapon.

You might can build an FAL for not much more than $400, but it uses 20 round mags.  30 rounders are not very common in the FAL.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

How much cost is required for a 1 moa gun?  No even a sustainable 1 moa; 1 moa cold barrel/slow firing.  Would not chuck on a thick barrel be good 'nuff?

There is no weight requriement after all.

Edit: I am basically talking about a hypothetical newly designed gun, not any particular design/kit build possibilities.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:22:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How much cost is required for a 1 moa gun?  No even a sustainable 1 moa; 1 moa cold barrel/slow firing.

That's a hard figure to come up with.

There are always freak rifles that will do 1 MOA but aren't techincally "supposed" to be able to.  My uncle has an all factory SP1 that will do 1 MOA with Black Hills.

To consistently get 1 MOA, you will need an upgraded barrel, which will end up eating half of your specified cost.

For combat accuracy, which is what you seem to want, you don't need a 1 MOA rifle.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:32:25 PM EDT
[#7]
yes.

Its called a 10/22 with a match barrel and a hotlips mag.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Obviously 1moa would be slow firing with factory type loads slowly firing, not milsurp type quality rapid fire IE not looking for consistant 1 moa for every round downrange, just first few shots.

I'm not specifically talking about it *just* as a hand out gun; I was mearly inspired by that particular thread.  The topics of cost, accuracy and ability have come up.

I figure with 1moa, hicap capible and cheap I can grap a piece of the 1. hunters market 2. SHTF/HD market and 3. EBR market plus the 4. plinkers market given its price.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:58:21 PM EDT
[#9]
With those requirements, your best bet would be an SKS.
Ditch the 30 round mag idea.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:00:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Vepr AK47 varient.  If it were produced here, it would cost less, probably within your range.  My Vepr with US factory ammo or handloads will consistently turn in sub moa groups (scoped).  Its just when you get into the imported ammo that the AK's get inaccurate.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:13:45 PM EDT
[#11]
A handout gun should just be something that someone can kill an armed person and get a real weapon.  Unless you plan on just shooting unarmed civilians. You ever see people try to load an AK that never held one before? I'd go for the SKS as well.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:17:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Even if you give a gun capable of 1 MOA to someone, 95% of people can't shoot that well.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:24:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:44:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
AK-74 maybe

better barrel and better ammo could make this ammo.

Right now the best bet would be a .223 version of an ak, because you can get higher quality loads for it.

5.45x39 means you're pretty much stuck with whatever rolls over from russia.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top