Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/21/2006 9:57:28 AM EDT
 I have yet to see one under $850.  A few years back they were all $300-$500.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:29:21 AM EDT
[#1]
CMP $550 shipped.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:32:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
CMP $550 shipped.

Yeah but you have to be a member of a gun club.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:08:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
CMP $550 shipped.

Which costs about $25 per year, and you only need to join once if you're really that hard up for cash. Either way, counting the public notary fees, you're still about $250 ahead of the best price you've seen yet.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:09:49 AM EDT
[#5]
because you want one.

once you buy one, the prices will drop overnight. It's a proven fact.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:10:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Didn't the CMP change their rules a while back to say you can buy from them if you have a concealed-carry permit, even if you don't belong to a gun club?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:13:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
CMP $550 shipped.

Garand Collectors Association

Apply online for $25 a year.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:19:26 AM EDT
[#8]
You need the following:

Proof of citizenship

Be a current membership in a CMP-affiliated club or state association (GCA works here).

Provide one of the following as "firearms activities":
• Current or past military or law enforcement service.
• Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shot gun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
• Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training
• Distinguished, Instructor or Coach status.
• Concealed Carry License.
• Firearms Owner Identification Card.
• FFL or C&R License.
• Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
• Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity.

This is so easy, everyone should do it...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Supply and demand has driven up prices.

The CMP sees this and has raised prices accordingly. Nothing wrong with that, just selling goods, no longer made, at prices the market will support.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:25:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
CMP $550 shipped.

I just renewed my membership.  Got the card yesterday.

Time to get another Greek return rifle.  The one I got last year is VERY NICE!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:28:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Can someone tell me why M1 Garands are so expensive?  

Because they rock?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:36:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Laws of Supply and Demand
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#13]
CMP Rack grade Greek return for $350.  Mine was made early in 1944 so it may have seen some Nazis through the sights.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Supply and demand
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
CMP $550 shipped.

VCDL qualifies.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:57:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
CMP $550 shipped.

Yea, what is the problem ?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:57:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Same reason divorces are so expensive ...

BECAUSE THEY'RE WORTH IT!!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Last months local gun show, this guy had about 15 in really good shape ranging from $300 to $600...I was broke though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:30:01 PM EDT
[#19]
This is a steamy deal.  Did the the Greeks take good care of the Garands that the U.S. loaned them?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Years ago, I bought a beater/shooter Garand from Northridge Guns(now out of business) with rattley and  banged up stock, and so-so bore for $250, and now my friend said he wanted to buy my gun for $400.  But alast, no deal, I am going to keep on shooting it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:01:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Why are they so expensive ?   Cuz their really cool and they don't make em anymore .
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:05:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
    Why are they so expensive ?   Cuz their really cool and they don't make em anymore .

*ahem*

www.springfield-armory.com/prod-rifles-m1-garand.shtml

Not exactly the same, but they do still make em.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:06:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Because they rock?

Actually, theya re dirt cheap.

Springfield is making a copy, lesser quality, for TWICE what CMP sells them for.

If they made M1's today, you could expect to pay in excess of $1,500

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:11:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because they rock?

Springfield is making a copy, lesser quality, for TWICE what CMP sells them for.

I dont know, I would think that if someone set up a CNC and had a bunch of steel blanks ready to go  you could crank the parts out fast.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont know, I would think that if someone set up a CNC and had a bunch of steel blanks ready to go  you could crank the parts out fast.

Look around.

See anyone mass producing guns the quality of the  M1?

That's cuz very few would pay what they'd have to charge.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#26]
would a voter ID card count as proof of citizenship? What else would also work, not sure if I can find my birth certificate

Thanks
Chinook3
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:20:29 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look around.

Why yes I have looked around. I dont see anyone manufacturing the Garands like they did back in the day, BUT I do think that with modern production methods and equipment, a affordable replica can be made and done so with quality.

A CNC can crank out the same exact part hundreds of times a day. With no variation on the specs, I see it done every day.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:26:12 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
You need the following:

Proof of citizenship

Be a current membership in a CMP-affiliated club or state association (GCA works here).

Provide one of the following as "firearms activities":
• Current or past military or law enforcement service.
• Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shot gun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
• Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training
• Distinguished, Instructor or Coach status.
• Concealed Carry License.
• Firearms Owner Identification Card.
• FFL or C&R License.
• Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
• Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity.

This is so easy, everyone should do it...

and does it get shipped to a local ffl for 4473 or do they do it
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#29]
$850? This was meant to be tongue in cheek hence the

Edit because I don't want anyone to think I was advertising outside EE. Sorry my bad.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
$850? I'll sell ya one today for $500. and I don't care if your in any club as long as you can send an FFL.

I am interested.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#31]
The Band of Brothers series had a direct effect on making the price of US WWII weapons skyrocket in price.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:40:10 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Where? When?  They were always in the  $650 -$950 range.  They are currently the best value they have ever been.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:07:49 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
and does it get shipped to a local ffl for 4473 or do they do it

FedEx'ed (next day air) right to your door.

eta: They do the NCIS check themselves.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Because guys like me who bought them from the CMP for a song can sell them to people who won't get a few forms notarized for a minimum of 850, and usually much higher. My all numbers matching M1 Garand from 1953 is worth more than 850.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:10:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
CMP $550 shipped.

VCDL counts as a gun club for CMP purposes, by the way.....

And an occasional weapons training class counts as the match requirement. If you are a VCDL member and have gone to Blackwater, you are set.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

*ahem*

Not even close ---------
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:51:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers have also reinvigorated the WWII weapons demands
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:56:25 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

*ahem*

Not even close ---------

Agreed..........no history and the quality is nowhere near the USGI models.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
The Band of Brothers series had a direct effect on making the price of US WWII weapons skyrocket in price.

Was more Saving Private Ryan...at least that was the one that drove up WWII Thompson and BAR prices...Band of Brothers had more an effect on Garands and M1 Carbines, really...

At least, that's my perception, YMMV
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I've bought 9 m1s from the CMP over the last four years. I didn't pay more than $450 for any of them. When I see what some idiots will pay for a new CAST Springfield M1 I laugh my ass off. Five years back I spent $1000 for a type 2 National Match M1 with a military 7.62 barrel. It is still the best deal I've ever made. That is the only time to spend more than $500-600 on an m1. Shop around, they are out there for reasonable prices.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Another question is how many servicable guns were destroyed by the government?  Also we have to wonder how many did we leave in unfriendly countries?  There must be hundreds of carbines in Vietnam.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Another question is how many servicable guns were destroyed by the government?  Also we have to wonder how many did we leave in unfriendly countries?  There must be hundreds of carbines in Vietnam.

When the Army had me in Haiti, the Haitian police were armed with Garands.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:15:01 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Another question is how many servicable guns were destroyed by the government?  Also we have to wonder how many did we leave in unfriendly countries?  There must be hundreds tens of thousands of carbines in Vietnam.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:17:28 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
CMP $550 shipped.

Why dont you Just IM The_Beer_Slayer and Join G A T for $5.00 a year it is a CMP afilliated club

Tell him dpmmn sent you
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
CMP $550 shipped.

I have nothing against the GCA but I would only use them as a last resort. I think one should support their local club or state association first and foremost. And the're often cheaper too.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:49:32 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

*ahem*

Riiiiiiight
An M1 garand is a one of a kind.
They have a certain spirit imbued in them, much like the other guns from that time period.
No commercial copies can ever compare.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:08:05 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because they rock?

True, the operations needed to make a garand reciever are easy on a CNC, but there are a LOT of them, and means they take a long time to make. It also means lots of setups/operations to make each reciever. Time is money! I have a friend/riding/shooting buddy who has a machine shop. This shop makes $750 anodized billet throttle bodies for Ford Cobras. Or, it did until they found that they could make more money by making $70 supercharger pulleys. The machine time for the puleys is only 6 or 7 minutes over 2 setups in a CNC lathe and one in the CNC mill. By comparison,  the throttle bodies need 4 setups in the mill, butterflies milled, parts and assembly, and that means man hours in addition to the substantial amount of machine time needed.

billetflow.com
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:12:04 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because guys like me who bought them from the CMP for a song can sell them to people who won't get a few forms notarized for a minimum of 850, and usually much higher. My all numbers matching M1 Garand from 1953 is worth more than 850.

Is that legal? While I've never bought a Garand (plan to), Pighelmet and I were talking about people who do this a few weeks ago. He told me that you have to sign a form stating that you aren't going to sell it or something of that nature.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:23:05 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look around.

Why yes I have looked around. I dont see anyone manufacturing the Garands like they did back in the day, BUT I do think that with modern production methods and equipment, a affordable replica can be made and done so with quality.

A CNC can crank out the same exact part hundreds of times a day. With no variation on the specs, I see it done every day.

+1000  I'd love to get my hands on a nice CNC mill and some blue prints so I can start churning out orginal spec repros.  

Imagine

M1 Garands
M1 Carbines
C96 Mausers
Affordable Colt SAA's

ETC.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:44:34 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I have nothing against the GCA but I would only use them as a last resort. I think one should support their local club or state association first and foremost.

Agreed, but not all local clubs offer CMP matches or are affiliated with the CMP (such as mine).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top