Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/16/2020 9:48:49 PM
Posted: 10/11/2007 7:23:32 AM EST
I am looking for a decent safe for $500-600. Mainly for storing firearms and other valuables. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:29:23 PM EST
Anyone?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:32:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/11/2007 6:33:43 PM EST by HighCaliber]
Liberty Personal
Liberty Centurion

You aren't going to find much for $600 bucks. You can get a Stack On cabinet for less than that, but they are hardly secure.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:38:21 PM EST
I went to Dicks during a sale and got a Stack-on safe (not a cabinet) that is fire-proof, water-proof (to a couple feet) and holds 28 guns. They generally have some pretty good sales on gun safes.
Matt
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:38:55 PM EST
Sam's Club Winchester safe.

Search for the multitude of threads about it.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:54:12 PM EST
IMO a $600 safe is a waste of money. Save up a little more and get one with fire protection.
I found a 30 gun, 1800 degrees/hour for $1200 at patriotsafes.com. It serves the purpose (most important) and looks nice too for $1k less than I could find anywhere else with the same specs.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:01:15 PM EST

Originally Posted By DuraToTheMax:
IMO a $600 safe is a waste of money. Save up a little more and get one with fire protection.
I found a 30 gun, 1800 degrees/hour for $1200 at patriotsafes.com. It serves the purpose (most important) and looks nice too for $1k less than I could find anywhere else with the same specs.

If you're a careful shopper, you'll find plenty of safes of that capacity with fire (and water) protection. Some of us just don't have money to burn.
Matt
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:02:58 PM EST

Originally Posted By Justa_TXguy:
Sam's Club Winchester safe.

Search for the multitude of threads about it.

If its in general i cant search for them. Thanks though.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:29:32 PM EST
I thought to go that route as well, but after a lot of research here and elsewhere, I bit the bullet and figured my collection was worth spending 15% of its value on a safe, not to mention my numerous NFA weapons (suppressors and SBRs) needed more protection than a $600 cabinet could afford them.

So I upped my budget to $2200 and got an AMSEC BF-6030 safe, installed. Best money I've spent and now I have total peace of mind.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:43:32 PM EST

Fire protection is pretty much a joke. Your safe may not melt, but your shit will cook like it's in an oven. Ft. Knox makes insanely good safes, but all I can afford is a Cannon/American Eagle. I like it, it cost around $600-700, and it'll keep all but the most determined thieves form grabbing my guns and valuables. Get one a little larger than you think you'll need. The manufacturers tend to inflate storage capacity, just like fire protection rating.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:46:45 PM EST
Mines nice, send all your guns to me.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:56:01 PM EST

Originally Posted By fishngrits:

Fire protection is pretty much a joke. Your safe may not melt, but your shit will cook like it's in an oven. .

Can you expand a bit on that?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:04:37 PM EST

Fire protection is pretty much a joke. Your safe may not melt, but your shit will cook like it's in an oven. .

Big metal box. Extreme heat, maybe not enough to melt steel plate, but certainly hot enough to cook the contents of a safe, in a hot enough fire. If you think your stuff is going to survive 1800 degrees for an hour, think again.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 5:04:51 AM EST

Big metal box. Extreme heat, maybe not enough to melt steel plate, but certainly hot enough to cook the contents of a safe, in a hot enough fire. If you think your stuff is going to survive 1800 degrees for an hour, think again.

Right, but I keep hearing about this "insulation" stuff. Aparrently this "insulation" protects the contents of the safe from the temperature outside.
The safe in question has undergone a 1 hour, 1800 degree fire, pry test and is waranteed for life. Maybe it is me that is unfamiliar with the fundamentals of the gun safe, but I'm not so sure...

House fires get hot quickly. Fire protection tests take up to an hour or more to get to the same temperature a house fire gets to in a few minutes. Therefore, the safe in a house fire is subjected to a higher temperature much faster, and possibly for a longer period of time, than a safe in a laboratory test. This gives a longer, yet not accurate, fire protection rating. I bought my safe more for the anti-theft properties, than any fire protection it may afford. YMMV.

That's what homeowner's insurance is for. Make sure you have your guns (if they're over $2k) detailed to your insurance company.
Matt
Top Top