Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/8/2002 12:16:58 PM EDT
Guys. I've installed a front receiver hitch on my Ford 4WD, F-250 to help me move this big trailer I own into tight spaces. I also created a mounting plate for my 8000 series Warn winch that fits in the same receiver socket in the front. My dilemma is the darn thing (winch) weighs close to 100 pounds and it's a pain in the butt to keep mounting and un-mounting it in the front or rear receiver sockets. I have a locking pin with keys that keeps it secure right now when I'm away from the truck but I think any monkey with a paperclip could defeat that. What I want to do is create a security wire with an RCA wire and plug like you see at Best Buy protecting the video cameras, or at some gunshows through the trigger that will activate an alarm. What I want to do is mount the alarm inside the engine compartment and it's triggered if someone tries to remove the winch or tamper with the wire. The only problem is I'm coming up dry on the internet for a simple system or parts to build one and the knotheads at Radio Hacks are close to useless. It can't be that hard but for some reason, I can't come up with a solution. If you can tell me how, I can build it. Thanks in advance guys.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 12:57:01 PM EDT
I saw a system almost exactly like you are talking about on the rear of a tractor-trailer rig. Dont know much more about it though...
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 1:02:47 PM EDT
Check your e-mail.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 1:03:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 1:13:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 2:52:06 PM EDT
That would be the easiest way. You can pick up a car relay from autozone for about 12 bucks. Get the relay for a chevy cavalier electric motor fan. There are 2 ways to wire it. When there is power to the relay, there is power to whatever you are powering, and when there is no power to the relay, it sends power to whatever you want to power. You will have to play with it to figure out which is which since it doesn't label it very well. I would be careful which end I used to leave on the truck, and try to hide it in the reciever, otherwise it really could be bypassed with a paper clip.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 5:40:23 PM EDT
I'd say use a magnetic switch, such as are used on door contacts for building/home alarm systems, rather than RCA plugs. It would be sealed from the elements and lessen your chances of falses over time. You should be able to get these at Radio Shack.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 5:58:22 PM EDT
Thanks a lot guys. Great advice! I'm a bit disappointed ETH didn't jump in and say something like "put a hungry pit bull in your engine compartment attached to that short RCA plug" But I've got some sound advice and good ideas. I like the shock idea but I think dummy me would end up shocking himself because I forgot to turn it off. I'd like to keep my nuts for awhile...lol. Ham, I got your email. I'm confused. Where do I put the hundred screaming monkeys again? [:)] Thanks again.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:11:53 PM EDT
Start with a curved piece of metal that says "TOWARD ENEMY".........
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 10:11:55 PM EDT
Paul has a good idea, but I think it would help to have a swithing device in place of the relay that would have to be disarmed separately. So that just restoring the RCA connection or shorting the socket or plug would not stop the alarm. Some kind of semiconductor logic circuit sounds nice. But think about this - you have your crankhead smash-and-grab guys, who would just take it and run. The more I think about it, it seems like better physical security at the would be preferable. Short of that, think about how often do you actually use the winch? Is there some way you could secure it in the cab or in a toolbox? Do you have an alarm in the truck already? Just brainstorming now, is there some way you could mount an eye behind the grille, under the bumper ,or somewhere else such that you could put your hook on it, then tighten the cable / spool to hold the winch into the receiver well enough that they'd have to cut the cable to get it out?
Top Top