User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2004 1:15:42 PM EDT
Title says it all,

whats going on and who was on board??
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Update,

7 on board all killed no names released as of yet.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:21:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:23:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Posted on Sun, Oct. 24, 2004

Hendrick Motorsports plane crashes
10 aboard, including 2 pilots

JIM UTTER
ThatsRacin.com

A Hendrick Motorsports plane carrying two pilots and eight other passengers crashed into Bull Mountain, about 10 miles west of Martinsville, Va., site of Sunday's Subway 500 NASCAR Nextel Cup race, the FAA confirmed.

FAA spokeswoman Arlene Murray said a Beech 200 owned by Hendrick left Concord (N.C.) Regional Airport and crashed about 12:30 p.m. Eastern Sunday, near Martinsville Speedway.

There was no news as yet on injuries or fatalities, Murray said. HMS had four teams competing in Sunday's race with drivers Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, Terry Labonte and Brian Vickers.

In 20 years of competition, Hendrick Motorsports has garnered five NASCAR Winston Cup Series (now Nextel Cup) championships, three NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series titles and one NASCAR Busch Series crown, making it one of stock-car racing's premier organizations.

Rick Hendrick is just the second team owner in NASCAR's modern era to earn more than 100 Cup Series victories.

More than 400 employees call Hendrick Motorsports home, and day-to-day activities include management of HendrickMotorsports.com, the 15,000-square-foot museum and team store, marketing, public relations, sponsor services, licensing, show cars, merchandising, and much more.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/10005601.htm?1c

Hendrick Motorsports plane crashes, police say
05:18 PM EDT on Sunday, October 24, 2004
By DANIELLE SCHULMAN / WCNC.com

A Hendrick Motorsports plane headed to the Subway 500 in Martinsville, Virginia, has crashed in the Bull Mountain area of Virginia, state police there confirm.

“The plane was en route to Martinsville and lost it on radar and that’s all the information we have,” said one NASCAR official. “We’ve been in contact with Rick Hendrick…we just don’t have a lot of details at the moment…we are going to say a prayer for everyone in the Hendick organization."

Several high-placed sources inside NASCAR confirm these passengers on the plane: Tony Stewart’s helicopter pilot (who was not piloting the plane), two people who were piloting the plane, John Hendrick (Rick Hendrick’s brother), Ricky Hendrick, Randy Dorton and his two daughters.

The FAA and NTSB are investigating.

Bull Mountain lies to the west of Martinsville in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Hendrick Motorsports is located out of Concord, N.C.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/stories/wcnc-102204-ds-nascarplane.1efe8035.html
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:23:08 PM EDT
[#4]

What the hell is Hendrick Sports?

Hendrick Motor Sports Fixed the title.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#5]
The plane was waved off its landing approach at an airfeild in Martinsville and never made it back around for a second attempt.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:24:37 PM EDT
[#6]

John Hendrick (Rick Hendrick’s brother), Ricky Hendrick, Randy Dorton and his two daughters.

Oh no, this is horrible.  Fuck.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:25:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm watchin' NASCAR Victory Lane on Speed and they've not said anything about it yet other then what was said at the end of the Martinsville race. Seems like some of ya'll have more info then they do at this point. We'll just have to wait and see how this turns out. What with Papa Joe dying a few weeks ago and now this.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#9]
NASCAR.COM has a link stating FAA confirmed the plane went down, but the link doesn't work.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:51:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Here is a copy and paste from jayski.thatsracin.com/cupnews.htm

Hendrick Plane Goes Down: Just as the Subway 500 at Martinsville Speedway ended, NBC coverage of the race announced there would be no victory lane celebration or interviews as a Hendrick Motorsports that was headed to Martinsville for the race was reported to be missing, NBC's Bill Weber interviewed NASCAR's Jim Hunter who said there were reports that the plain was missing and that the Hendrick Motorsports drivers were being taken to the NASCAR Hauler.
MORE: A Hendrick Motorsports plane carrying two pilots and eight other passengers crashed into Bull Mountain, about 10 miles west of Martinsville, Va., site of Sunday's Subway 500 NASCAR Nextel Cup race, the FAA confirmed. FAA spokeswoman Arlene Murray said a Beech 200 owned by Hendrick left Concord (N.C.) Regional Airport and crashed about 12:30 p.m. Eastern time Sunday, near Martinsville Speedway. There was no news as yet on injuries or fatalities, Murray said. HMS had four teams competing in Sunday's race with drivers #24-Jeff Gordon, #48-Jimmie Johnson, #5-Terry Labonte and #25-Brian Vickers.(ThatsRacin.com)
AND from the Martinsville Daily:
Radio traffic indicates a plane crash occurred around 11:45am this morning in the Stuart, Patrick Springs, Bull Mountain area. Sketchy information at this hour indicates the plane was headed to the Blue Ridge Airport in Spencer and with six occupants including the pilot. Helicopters are now flying over the area trying to find the downed aircraft. We have just learned one of the racing team helicopters has now joined in the search.
Update 1 - 2:51pm: A helicopter has located the signal of the emergency locating transmitter of the downed aircraft, but due to extreme fog, they are unable to see the plane.
Update 2 - 2:52pm: State Police have determined the coordinates and are dispatching four-wheelers to the scene.
Update 3 - 2:53pm: A break in the fog has allowed the helicopter crew to get a visual on the crash scene. They report "there does not appear to be any survivors."
Update 4 - 3:30pm: Unconfirmed... the plane is alleged to be owned by Hendrick Motorsports and was headed to Martinsville for today's race.
Update 5 - 3:40pm: Fire and rescue have been advised to seal the entire area off to all media.
Update 6 - 5:13pm: The FFA and the NTSB has confirmed the downed plane was owned by Hendrick Motorsports and took off from Concord, NC. Officials have confirmed everyone onboard was killed, but no names have been released.(Martinsville Daily)
FROM NBC 6 NBC 6 News TV out of Charlotte, NC reported live at 5:20pm/et that John Hendrick, Ricky Hendrick and chief engine builder Randy Dorton were on the airplane.
From NBC 6 Site: A Hendrick Motorsports plane headed to the Subway 500 in Martinsville, Virginia, has crashed in the Bull Mountain area of Virginia, state police there confirm. “The plane was en route to Martinsville and lost it on radar and that’s all the information we have,” said one NASCAR official. “We’ve been in contact with Rick Hendrick…we just don’t have a lot of details at the moment…we are going to say a prayer for everyone in the Hendick organization." Several high-placed sources inside NASCAR confirm these passengers on the plane: Tony Stewart’s helicopter pilot (who was not piloting the plane), two people who were piloting the plane, John Hendrick (Rick Hendrick’s brother), Ricky Hendrick (Rick Hendrick’s son), Randy Dorton and his two daughters. The FAA and NTSB are investigating. Bull Mountain lies to the west of Martinsville in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains.(NBC6.com)(10-24-2004)

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:55:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Let's just hope that they were able to make a safe crash landing. If not this will be a very sad day for NASCAR.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:57:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Prayers sent.......

Oh God be with those families right now.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Report of plane crash near Bull Mountain

Radio traffic indicates a plane crash occurred around 11:45am this morning in the Stuart, Patrick Springs, Bull Mountain area.

Sketchy information at this hour indicates the plane was headed to the Blue Ridge Airport in Spencer and with six occupants including the pilot.

Helicopters are now flying over the area trying to find the downed aircraft. We have just learned one of the racing team helicopters has now joined in the search.

Update 1 - 2:51pm: A helicopter has located the signal of the emergency locating transmitter of the downed aircraft, but due to extreme fog, they are unable to see the plane.

Update 2 - 2:52pm: State Police have determined the coordinates and are dispatching four-wheelers to the scene.

Update 3 - 2:53pm: A break in the fog has allowed the helicopter crew to get a visual on the crash scene. They report "there does not appear to be any survivors."

Update 4 - 3:30pm: Unconfirmed... the plane is alleged to be owned by Hendrick Motorsports and was headed to Martinsville for today's race.

Update 5 - 3:40pm: Fire and rescue have been advised to seal the entire area off to all media.

Update 6 - 5:13pm: The FFA and the NTSB has confirmed the downed plane was owned by Hendrick Motorsports and took off from Concord, NC. Officials have confirmed everyone onboard was killed, but no names have been released.

Update 7 - 5:23pm: We have received a partial list of the deceased. They are: Ricky Hendrick, John Hendrick, Kimberly Hendrick, Jennifer Hendrick, Len Morrison, and Scott Latham. Again, this is a partial list and remains unconfirmed, although the source of the information comes from the Martinsville Speedway.

We'll have further updates regarding this story as it becomes available. (10/24/04)
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Ricky Hendrick, John Hendrick, Kimberly Hendrick, Jennifer Hendrick, Len Morrison, and Scott Latham. RIP
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:05:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#16]

In an update on their site, the following names are listed: Ricky Hendrick, John Hendrick, Kimberley Hendrick, Jennifer Hendrick, Dick Tracy (pilot), Joe Jackson, Liz Morrison (pilot), Jeff Turner, Randy Dorton and Scott Lathum. John Hendrick is team owner Rick Hendrick's brother, while Ricky Hendrick is his son. Randy Dorton is an engine builder for the company.

Damn.

Looks like the better part of 3+ families wiped out.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:09:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Randy Dorton is the head engine builder for Hendrick.  Man Hendrick loses his son, his brother and the man who helped make Hendrick such a force in Nascar.  My heart just sinks for him.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:10:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I know why they didn't interview Johnson, but they could'a talked to Rusty.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#19]
MARTINSVILLE, Va. (AP) -- A plane carrying members of the Hendrick Motorsports organization was missing Sunday after losing contact with the Federal Aviation Administration on its way to a NASCAR race, and a search was underway for the aircraft.

NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter said the FAA has notified the National Transportation Safety Board, and "they're investigating to see what might have happened or what has happened."

NASCAR has spoken with team owner Rick Hendrick, Hunter said, but he added no other details about who was on the plane, where it disappeared or what may have preceded the loss of contact were immediately available.

"We're working very closely with members of the Hendrick organization," Hunter said. "We're just saying extra prayers right now."

Hendrick owns the teams of Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, Terry Labonte and Brian Vickers in the Nextel Cup Series.

Johnson won Sunday's race at Martinsville Speedway.

NASCAR learned of the plane's disappearance during the race and withheld the information from the Hendrick drivers until afterward, Hunter said.

All the Hendrick drivers were summoned to the NASCAR hauler immediately after the race and Johnson was excused from Victory Lane.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Ok. No drivers killed.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Today is truly a sad day for the motor car racing sports
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:13:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Ok.  No drivers killed.

Fortunately...but several members of the Hendrick family were apparently killed...gonna be black armband time next weekend in Atlanta...so sad...
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Absolutely a first-class organization.

This is terrible.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Yet another update...

TRAGIC NEWS: The son of NASCAR owner Rick Hendrick was among 10 people killed Sunday when a small plane headed from Concord to Martinsville crashed in Patrick County in Virginia. Ricky Hendrick, a former NASCAR driver, died in the incident. John Hendrick, Rick's brother, and Kimberly and Jennifer Hendrick, John's twin daughters, also died in the crash. The plane, which belonged to Hendrick Motorsports, was en route to Martinsville Speedway for Sunday's Subway 500. Jimmie Johnson was driving the Hendrick car in the race and was the winner. The plane reportedly lost contact with the Federal Aviation Administration at about 12:30 p.m. It crashed in the Blue Ridge Mountains about seven miles from Martinsville, Va., according to the N.C. Highway Patrol. The names of the other people who died in the crash are: Dick Tracey, pilot, Liz Morrison, pilot, Joe Jackson, Jeff Turner, the VP and General Manager of Hendrick Motorsports, Randy Dorton and Scott Latham.(wxii12.com)(10-24-2004)

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:05:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Report of plane crash near Bull Mountain

Radio traffic indicates a plane crash occurred around 11:45am this morning in the Stuart, Patrick Springs, Bull Mountain area.

I am familiar with Bull Mountain, it is a rough, nasty, steep ass mountain that is full of rattlesnakes.  I know a few landowners who live up there....

This sucks
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I could have sworn I have seen that plane several times at the place where I get work done on the plane I fly.  I dont follow nascar but I remember seeing the Hendricks logo on the tail of a King Air B200. That said the place where I have the work done is top notch. Sounds like the pilot ran it into the ground on a go around.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Randy Dorton is the head engine builder for Hendrick.  Man Hendrick loses his son, his brother and the man who helped make Hendrick such a force in Nascar.  My heart just sinks for him.  

He lost his son AND his twin daughters.

I cant even imagine...
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:39:11 PM EDT
[#28]
There was suppose to have been a lot of fog in that area today. Rusty Wallace, who is not only a driver but also a piolet, said that that air port isn't up to date and could be greatly improved from a technology aspect. Very sad day for NASCAR and racing.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I cant even imagine...

The twins were his brother John's girls so Rick Hendrick lost his son, his brother, two nieces, his head engine builder plus others that were on board. Just getting over his father passing away a few weeks ago and now this, wow, I really feel for him. This is going to be some tough times in the Hendrick family.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:47:56 PM EDT
[#30]
( <<< long time Hendrick Motorsports fan )    geez, I feel sick    

Such a huge loss all at once, damn, how devestating this must be for them.  Prayers sent.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:48:29 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I cant even imagine...

The twins were his brother John's girls so Rick Hendrick lost his son, his brother, two nieces, his head engine builder plus others that were on board. Just getting over his father passing away a few weeks ago and now this, wow, I really feel for him. This is going to be some tough times in the Hendrick family.

Hmm.. the article on Foxnews.com says this

Harry Litten, manager Moody Funeral Service in Stuart, said the state police had given him this list of those on the Beech 200:

Ricky Hendrick, Rick Hendrick's son and also a NASCAR (search) driver; John Hendrick, Rick Hendrick's brother and president of the organization; Kimberly and Jennifer Hendrick, Rick Hendrick's twin daughters; Joe Jackson; Jeff Turner; Randy Dorton, the team's chief engine builder; Scott Latham, a pilot for NASCAR driver Tony Stewart; and pilots Dick Tracy and Liz Morrison.
www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,136445,00.html
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:52:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Horriable...pray for them and their families.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:53:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:01:09 PM EDT
[#35]
A spokesman for a funeral home where the bodies were being taken said the dead included four relatives of team owner Rick Hendrick -- his son, twin daughters and brother.

Harry Litten, manager Moody Funeral Service in Stuart, said the state police had given him this list of those on the Beech 200:

Ricky Hendrick, Rick Hendrick's son and also a NASCAR driver; John Hendrick, Rick Hendrick's brother and president of the organization; Kimberly and Jennifer Hendrick; Joe Jackson; Jeff Turner; Randy Dorton, the team's chief engine builder; Scott Latham, a pilot for NASCAR driver Tony Stewart; and pilots Dick Tracy and Liz Morrison.

It's strange how they mention his son as being "Rick Hendrick's son" but then the two girls are just listed, I thought they were John's girls, maybe they were Rick's girls but looks like they'd have said something in the first line and not further down.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't know anything about NASCAR, but that is truly tragic for the victims and their families.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I cant even imagine...

Hmm.. the article on Foxnews.com says this

Ricky Hendrick, Rick Hendrick's son and also a NASCAR (search) driver; John Hendrick, Rick Hendrick's brother and president of the organization; Kimberly and Jennifer Hendrick, Rick Hendrick's twin daughters; Joe Jackson; Jeff Turner; Randy Dorton, the team's chief engine builder; Scott Latham, a pilot for NASCAR driver Tony Stewart; and pilots Dick Tracy and Liz Morrison.
www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,136445,00.html

Posted earlier

Quoted:
Yet another update...

TRAGIC NEWS: The son of NASCAR owner Rick Hendrick was among 10 people killed Sunday when a small plane headed from Concord to Martinsville crashed in Patrick County in Virginia. Ricky Hendrick, a former NASCAR driver, died in the incident. John Hendrick, Rick's brother, and Kimberly and Jennifer Hendrick, John's twin daughters, also died in the crash.

Lots of confusion in the short time after the accident. It'll clear up by tomorrow. Either way, a sad loss.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:42:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Nonetheless, a HUGE loss for the Hendricks Family and organization.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Damn,

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:02:38 PM EDT
[#41]

Prayers sent for the family and friends.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:48:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Ricky Hendrick stands out in particular in my mind because he did something I don't know many would have the guts to do.  

Ricky as a driver was essentially born to a ride given his father race team - and he did just that for a while (Busch Grand National Series).  Then suddenly he quit.  After suffering a serious accident earlier, he said he was too scared to drive the car to the level that the team and the other competitors deserved.  He walked away from driving and took a job within the Hendick Motorsports organization.  That he was man enough to quit driving and state why when others in a similar situation would do differently always impressed me.  

RIP to all those lost, and prayers to their families.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Sad sad tragedy.  Prayers sent for the family.  I simply can't imagine sustaining a loss of this magnitude.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:28:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:39:17 AM EDT
[#45]
All,

I was at the race on Sunday and I can say I've never seen that sort of reaction en masse before. The first clue was Jimmy Johnson cutting his burnout short and hauling it in to pit road. Everyone figured that the show was over and started heading out. Then this tragic announcement was made and everyone stopped in place and just watched the "jumbotron" in shock. As soon as the announcement was over, people began talking quietly among themselves and many even stopped to say prayers. The utter shock and grief that people felt for a group of people they didn't know personally was absolutely amazing. I can say for certain that at that moment, I have never been more proud to be a fan of NASCAR.

My condolences and prayers go out to the entire NASCAR family and especially to the Hendrick organization and family. May their loved ones rest in peace.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#46]
The crowds at NASCAR are awesome, I'd have loved to have been there, in spite of the bad news.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top