Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2014 8:41:47 AM EDT
Why exactly do all bags with declared firearms have to be searched and swabbed?

I have a large duffel that gets checked, and a small lockable metal pistol case for my carry gun that goes in there, and then the large duffel is locked up with a TSA combo lock.

I'm sick of TSA with those dirty blue gloves rifling through my clothes, toiletries, and everything else because I have a pistol in a locked case in there too.

Plus, it makes no sense whatsoever that firearms or ammo would necessitate swabbing for explosives. Can someone explain how gun + ammo with smokeless powder = explosive?

The last few times have really bothered me, because the inconvenience and delay is starting to feel punitive. As if I'm purposely being punished for exercising a constitutionally protected right.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:49:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Stop flying is about the only way to make it stop.
Don't get me wrong, I feel your pain but the TSA will rifle through your shit.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:50:44 AM EDT
[#2]
You might have a gun in there. The TSA has to make sure.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:53:04 AM EDT
[#3]

I'm purposely being punished for exercising a constitutionally protected right
View Quote

seal of the U.S.A. needs its motto updated from "E Pluribus Unum" to "in terrorem veritas" to properly reflect our modern social contract/bond
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:55:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Put gun gear in separate bag.

Or....

Put the nastiest undies in gun bag.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:55:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't you realize guns are icky, and anyone who owns them must be icky too....
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Because if you're going to sneak a bomb onto a plane, the obvious choice is the bag with guns in it that has to be declared and singled out for extra searching.  Duh.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:57:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Can't you use your own locks?

Checked a pelican case with a rifle last week and put my own locks on it, no trouble.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Checked a pelican case with a rifle last week and put my own locks on it, no trouble.
View Quote

Case the gun is in is locked... Not the bag the case is in.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

They'll cut off your locks just as easily as cut they off their own (issued) locks
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:09:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have a large duffel that gets checked, and a small lockable metal pistol case for my carry gun that goes in there, and then the large duffel is locked up with a TSA combo lock.

I'm sick of TSA with those dirty blue gloves rifling through my clothes, toiletries, and everything else because I have a pistol in a locked case in there too.

Plus, it makes no sense whatsoever that firearms or ammo would necessitate swabbing for explosives. Can someone explain how gun + ammo with smokeless powder = explosive?

The last few times have really bothered me, because the inconvenience and delay is starting to feel punitive. As if I'm purposely being punished for exercising a constitutionally protected right.
View Quote

I have never seen this at CMH.  Back when I was flying 2-3x per week, I never saw it and it never happened to me.  My luggage is a StormCase 3200.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:11:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I fly all the time with a firearm, and have yet to get my bag searched. Scanned separately, yes, searched, no.

Maybe it's just you.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:17:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Didn't think TSA could inspect gun with owner being present?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:22:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because they aren't?

"I have firearms to check".  Agent gives me card(s), card(s) in case, lock, ticket agent puts them on the conveyor belt, they go behind the wall and I pick them up at the luggage carousel.

To the best of my knowledge, I have never had a bag/case swabbed (but wouldn't care if they did) and, since I use my own locks, they have never been opened.

Maybe procedures are different at different airports, but other than having to put the card in your bag(s)/case(s) and lock it/them, I have never had my firearms treated any differently than every other piece of luggage.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:23:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I always wondered why the TSA swabs the bags of soldiers in uniform, traveling under orders, and coming off of a couple of weeks on the artillery range at the base outside of Kansas City. They always test positive and then they rip apart their luggage.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I always wondered why the TSA swabs the bags of soldiers in uniform, traveling under orders, and coming off of a couple of weeks on the artillery range at the base outside of Kansas City. They always test positive and then they rip apart their luggage.
View Quote

Training...that's what I was told...
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:18:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Because they aren't?

"I have firearms to check".  Agent gives me card(s), card(s) in case, lock, ticket agent puts them on the conveyor belt, they go behind the wall and I pick them up at the luggage carousel.

To the best of my knowledge, I have never had a bag/case swabbed (but wouldn't care if they did) and, since I use my own locks, they have never been opened.

Maybe procedures are different at different airports, but other than having to put the card in your bag(s)/case(s) and lock it/them, I have never had my firearms treated any differently than every other piece of luggage.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because they aren't?

WTF?

Every time this is how it goes for me:

Walk up with my duffel with pistol case inside, "I need to declare an unloaded pistol".

They give me tag/form to sign, and it goes in/on the pistol case.

After signing and getting my boarding pass, they direct me to the TSA inspection/swabbing area.

I carry my bag down there, hand it to them, they swab and rifle through my stuff with those dirty blue gloves, then I lock it all back up and they take it.

Only then can I go to the security line to get to the gate.

This has been the process flying out of Austin x5, Detroit x8, Phoenix x2, San Francisco, and San Antonio.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#17]
TSA doenst check stuff as carefully as they used to.  recnetly i flew from Love field in dallas to houston hobby, and my pelican case was in my luggage unlocked.  imagine my surprise when a) my luggage shows up on the belt unconfiscated and b) my gunbox was still inside and c) my gunbox still contained everything i put in it untouched.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote
It seems like you answered your own question.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top