Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2002 12:16:52 PM EDT
Why, when someone blows up a bus, bus-stop, niteclub, bar, restaurant, car, themselves, or whatever, in Israel, OUR stock-market drops?

One caveat:  I want an answer/opinion, not the whole "Pro-Israel/Anti-Israel/Pro-Palestine/Anti-Palestine" flame war.

FOTBR
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 12:19:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I think that it has to do with the whole idea of trepidition with regard to the future.  People are afraid so they go to "hard" currency to wait out the storm.

IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 12:57:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy Buy Buy!  All stocks on Sale!
Ever wanted to rewind the market 4 years and get in?  NOW YOU CAN!
Only for a limited time, you can buy into the market at levels not seen since 1998!
Don't miss this limited opportunity!
It's the "Back to the Future" SALE, going on now, on Wall Street!
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 2:24:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all

Storm -- makes more since that most ideas I've heard: "well, people are afraid companies won't be able to do business over there"  

Sweep -- I know what you mean there.  Re-did my home page so I don't have to see the bad news as well.

Torf -- LOL
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 3:13:28 PM EDT
[#5]
The entire Middle East is on the brink, Israel/Palestine, India/Pakistan and the US/Iraq, Iran, and maybe even N Korea. Wars or potential wars make very investors nervous. The Middle East is where most of the Earth’s oil resides. Trouble can affect energy supplies and prices everywhere and thus business expenses go up and profits fall.

But if you noticed that our stock markets have been going in a horizontal pattern for the past 2 - 3 years now. Pessimism is the current norm. But that does not mean profits can't be made. In fact with every tiny boost in the market followed by an immediate sell off, many people are making a good amount of money, only pennies per stock.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Whenever there is uncertainty in the world, investors get nervous.  They look to put their money in safer investmesnts, thus pulling it out of the market, thus devaluing the market.  Notable exception to this is defense industry stocks.  They understanable tend to go the reverse direction.

Link Posted: 6/19/2002 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#7]

I've stopped trying to make any sense out of the market. Jobless numbers are bad, stocks go up, jobless numbers good, stocks down. Alan Greenspan sneezes stocks go down, Alan Greenspan hiccups stocks go up. Tiger Woods wins golf tounament stocks go up. WTF, it's all voodoo now.

Stepped-init
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:49:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:54:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Take a look at DRI.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Institutional investors react to world events whether or not it has anything to do with earnings, P/E, etc. One would think that these people would be a little more rational than the average joe.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#11]
One would think that these people would be a little more rational than the average joe.
View Quote

Good, I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this is a little rediculous.

FOTBR
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 11:10:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Take a look at DRI.
View Quote

General Motors is their parent company,If you didn't already know.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 11:16:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why, when someone blows up a bus, bus-stop, niteclub, bar, restaurant, car, themselves, or whatever, in Israel, OUR stock-market drops?

One caveat:  I want an answer/opinion, not the whole "Pro-Israel/Anti-Israel/Pro-Palestine/Anti-Palestine" flame war.

FOTBR
View Quote

government conspiracy
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 8:10:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Take a look at DRI.
View Quote

General Motors is their parent company,If you didn't already know.
View Quote

NO, they were at one time owned by GENERAL MILLS.  In 1995, the restaurant division spun off to form their own corp.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#15]
As one who does not own any stock anywhere, my point of view may be a lttle suspect, but I've always seen the stock market as a gigantic craps game, where the dice are loaded, but the load factor keeps changing on every roll depending on which set of loaded dice the dealer hands you.  He knows which way they're loaded but you don't.

With all due respect for the number of internet friends I've made on this site, and my sympathy for any of you who have lost significant money in the market,  you got into a crooked game.  They let just enough of the little guys who come in make enough to encourage all the others to take their roll of the dice.  And then it's ZAP, we gotcha.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not anti private enterprise. Rather, I'm anti enterprises big enough to screw little people---and screw you they will if you try to play with the big boys.  Family owned and small corporate units; just fine with me. But as soon as they get big enough to make one of the major stock markets; they'll screw the small investor over every time.

Of course, what the hell do I know? I don't even own a share of stock [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top