Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 2:13:38 PM EDT
to see what the numbers mean? I'm trying to get parts to a friend in Iraq (private contractor, security). GM cars.
Guess I'll find out what DHL charges to deliver a transmission to Baghdad!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:16:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:29:56 PM EDT
[#3]
P38, i am but an instrument of Allahs will. I fhe tells me ship him a transmission, i do so.

Actually, they are older cars and I think the locals want too much and it would take too long.

benz, thanks, i owe you!

Can anyone hook me up with a place to check the codes? I want to determine the correct engine in the vehicle?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:42:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Glad I could help. I know how tough it can be to get stuff in the sandbox. I used to do a lot of work in Egypt. It's amazing how much we take for granted here. If I'm at home, and I need a new garden hose fitting, say, I go to the local hardware store, plink down a buck and return. In Egypt, first you must convince the local mechanics that this is something one should buy, not attempt to fabricate from som welding rod, a horse bone, some twine and an orange peel. Second, you must negotiate with the driver to go into town, and no, we won't have time to stop and see any of his 14 uncles. Third, you must navigate to the garden-hose-fitting suq. See, everyehing in Egypt is sold in a suq, a small specialty suq. You need a watch, you go to the watch suq. You need a full-auto Maadi, you go to the machine-gun suq. You need a garden hose fitting, you go to the garden hose fitting suq. With any luck, you stumble across the garden hose fitting suq the same day you left. Now the negotiation begins. First, the driver will explain to the suq-keeper that the mechanics wanted to fashion one out of camel dung, a Skoda trunk hinge, some tar and a live pigeon. Then, a great debate will ensue about the size and materials of construction of said fitting. You see, this particular suq only has 1/2" plastic fittings, and you really need a 5/8" brass one. You will be directed to go to his cousin's suq next door. Repeat as required. Eventually, you'll end up with something that meets no more than 85% of your requirement, and be damn happy to get it. Tomorrow, you'll need a new hose anyway, because overnight a goat will eat your hose and run away, so you'll have to go out for supper, too.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Benz,

that sounds like what our mechanic is going through...lol. He's a Brit so his e-mail descriptions are at times interesting (I need and English to English dictionary).

thanks again!

Tim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top