Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2001 7:50:41 PM EDT
This is my MT6731 Colt.  I keep hearing about receivers drilled for the mil-spec front take down pins.  Are these the hole required to make the switch from the screw to the push pin?  If not, then what the hell are these holes for?  Thanks

[img]blackrifle.gunsnet.net/arlower.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you talking about that red X when you say holes? [:)]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:01:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, but don't do it.  Everyone knows it will kill the value of a Colt to make any mods.

Allow a lowly Bushmaster owner to provide illumination on the subject:  [:D]

[img]http://www.bushmaster.com/images/lower.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#3]
damnit!!!  On my puter I got a picture.  Try right click show picture and see if it comes up.  If not look here [url]http://blackrifle.gunsnet.net/arlower.jpg[/url]
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#4]
It is for retaining the front take down pin.  I do not know why Colt just put the push pins in them.  Are they trying to keep alive the old AR screw design?
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:06:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Hot damn....both my Colts(one pre, one post) have these and it is my biggest complaint about the rifles and the biggest pain in the ass.

Next question, will the Bushmaster parts you shown in the diagram work on the Colt?  Or should I call Colt.  I assume they will but you never know with Colt.

Also, Maybe Colt is making a change on this because I have seen brand new MT6700 at the last gun show that had the mil-spec front push pin.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:08:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Since your Colt is drilled for the milspec pins, the Bushmaster parts should work fine.  

Problem is S&H can be a killer for a small parts order with BM.  Proceed carefully.  You may also just want to pick up the parts at the next show.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#7]
True about the shipping.  For the 2 rifles I need 10 dollars worth of small parts.  They could send them US mail for under a buck in a padded envelope.  I wonder if they would do that if I asked???
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Another question.  What holds the spring and the detent in when the front pin is out???  Do they just sit in there and if you tip the receiver forward they fall out.  If so, I can see them getting lost easily.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 8:44:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Another question.  What holds the spring and the detent in when the front pin is out???  Do they just sit in there and if you tip the receiver forward they fall out.  If so, I can see them getting lost easily.
View Quote

why would you want to take the front pin out after you installed the holding pin & spring set? these are under tension & will fly out if your not careful when removing the front pin.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:34:12 PM EDT
[#10]
OK I think I got it now.  When you change the pin to the mil-spec push pin, it stays attached like the rear pin does??  On the screw pin, it comes completely out to remove the upper.  Sorry for my ignorance.  These are my first AR's, both purchased in the past 2 months.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 4:40:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Based on you title, I was expecting to see pictures of naked women and had some pretty good instructions ready for you.  [:P] oh, well.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 5:13:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Based on you title, I was expecting to see pictures of naked women and had some pretty good instructions ready for you.  [:P] oh, well.
View Quote

:)

I was expecting it to be Imbroglio asking bout women!  :)
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 11:58:43 AM EDT
[#13]
[:D]  Sorry I made a gun related post  [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top